DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 11:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79536 Posts in 7136 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Marcel Dionne
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marcel Dionne  (Read 81 times)
doctordoowop

« on: February 10, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »

I need   some info from  hockey buffs Joe & Robb.  Can u  friends help.  Some inside info would be good--not what I could get from Wikipedia.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:20:41 AM »

I need   some info from  hockey buffs Joe & Robb.  Can u  friends help.  Some inside info would be good--not what I could get from Wikipedia

Can you be specific about what kind of information you want? 

He was born in Drummondville, PQ.  He played Juniors for The Drummondville Rangers, and then, The Saint Catherines Black Hawks (after ownership/sponsorship by NHL teams had been divested and become outlawed (The NY Rangers and Chicago Black Hawks had previously owned and operated those teams until the end of the 1966-67 season).  Dionne led The OHA (top Jr. league in Canada at that time) in scoring his last 2 years.  He was short (5 ft. 9 in.) but very strong 190 lb.  He was a great skater, and a great set-up man, and scored a lot of goals, as well.  He scored over 100 points 8 times during his NHL career.  He was originally drafted 2nd overall in 1971 by Detroit.  After 4 years with them, he was traded to The L.A. Kings, for a boatload of player assets.  He was The Kings' major star for 12 years, overlapping one or two years with Gretzky.  He played his last 2 years with The Rangers.  He was a big part of Team Canada in their early series' versus The Russians. 

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:03 AM »

Dionne and LaFleur go back to playing against each other in Peewee hockey. Think they came into the league the same year (if not, close). Dionne outscored Guy by 400 points in their careers but Marcel never won the Cup.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

Dionne and LaFleur go back to playing against each other in Peewee hockey. Think they came into the league the same year (if not, close). Dionne outscored Guy by 400 points in their careers but Marcel never won the Cup.
Correct!  They started in The NHL in 1971-72.

doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »

More  personal info--businesses,family  life etc. 
bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »

I can tell you that for at least part of his time on the LA Kings, he lived in the LA suburb of Rolling Hills Estates. And, for what it's worth (not much no doubt), his next door neighbor with whom I worked thought of him as an excellent neighbor - i.e. all around nice guy.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:45:22 PM »

Thanx. Did & does  very well  financially.
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »

Thanx. Did & does  very well  financially.

Always good to hear. He missed out on the big money era but ... played a long time and invested well I guess.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »

I can tell you that for at least part of his time on the LA Kings, he lived in the LA suburb of Rolling Hills Estates. And, for what it's worth (not much no doubt), his next door neighbor with whom I worked thought of him as an excellent neighbor - i.e. all around nice guy.  

I met him, and he seemed like a generally personable fellow (nice guy-pleasant disposition). Never heard anyone say anything negative about him (unlike Eddie Shore, Rocket Richard, Bobby Hull, Mike Keenan, Brett Hull, and even Wayne Gretzky.  It's not often that that can be said about someone in the public eye.  I also never heard anything negative about Mario Lemieux or Gordie Howe or Jean Beliveau.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:15:30 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »

Thanx  Robb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: