DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 11:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
79536 Posts in 7136 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Frank Robinson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Frank Robinson  (Read 101 times)
JoeShack

« on: February 07, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »

Hall Of Famer Frank Robinson dead at 83 from bone cancer.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:24:45 PM »

RIP.

Had he played the prime years of his career in a big market, he would've been appreciated so much more than he was. Just me, but I place him above all of the 50's and 60s players except Henry Aaron.

Frank, Vada Pinson and Curt Flood were all on the 1953 McClymonds HS team in Oakland. Think it's a myth, though, that they comprised the starting outfield as Flood and Pinson were 9th graders when Robbie was a Senior.  

Makes me think of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Willie will be 88 in a few months. Hank just turned 85 a few days ago.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:27:38 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »

RIP.

Had he played the prime years of his career in a big market, he would've been appreciated so much more than he was. Just me, but I place him above all of the 50's and 60s players except Henry Aaron.

Frank, Vada Pinson and Curt Flood were all on the 1953 McClymonds HS team in Oakland. Think it's a myth, though, that they comprised the starting outfield as Flood and Pinson were 9th graders when Robbie was a Senior.  

Makes me think of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Willie will be 88 in a few months. Hank just turned 85 a few days ago.
Frank was a great player.  And I agree about placing Hank Aaron ahead of him.  But, I'd definitely also place Willie Mays ahead of him, albeit by a not-so-great margin.

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »

Choosing between Willie and Frank for me was tough. I think most people would be surprised how close these two greats were in their careers in terms of HRs per plate appearance, RBIs, career batting average, etc.  Most would assume Willie was significantly better (and that's a factor of may different things) but ... Frank compares well.
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:31 AM »

Joe-dont  forget  Willie  Tasby!  Not many  MVps  in each  league  &   1st black manager.

Saw  him  many times  at Laker games.   BTW,where is Milt Pappas?

RIP Frank
bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:24:53 AM »

Milt is probably playing golf with Jack Baldschun.
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »

Milt died a few years back. Best known in connection with the bad deal the Reds made with the O's, Pappas did win 207 major league games. Nothing to be sneezed at.

Pappas was a graduate of Cooley High in Detroit. MIke Illitch who owned the Red Wings and Tigers, Jimmy Hoffa, and old time catcher Joe Ginsberg were also grads. 

Anyone recall any other noted Greek-American ballplayers? I'm having trouble coming up with any.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:04:20 AM »

Playing  golf with Sam Bowie!   RIP.
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »

Thought of another Greek-American ballplayer -- Eric Karros!
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »

Pretty good for  a walk on at UCLA.

Gus Triandos also.
bklynmike101

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »

Milt died a few years back. Best known in connection with the bad deal the Reds made with the O's, Pappas did win 207 major league games. Nothing to be sneezed at.

Pappas was a graduate of Cooley High in Detroit. MIke Illitch who owned the Red Wings and Tigers, Jimmy Hoffa, and old time catcher Joe Ginsberg were also grads. 

Anyone recall any other noted Greek-American ballplayers? I'm having trouble coming up with any.

Gus Triandos, former teammate of Joe Ginsburg, comes to mind. I believe (without researching) Gus was from San Francisco. Eric Karros has lived in the Manhattan Beach suburb of LA for some time.
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »

Karros-believe born in Jersey-Paterson?  Raised  in SDiego
JoeC

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »

How Frank came close to NOT being an Oriole. This was 1966, not 1946!

"Dealt to the Orioles in the offseason, Robinson had sought housing in January 1966, to no avail. Several times, the slugging outfielder was rejected because of race. In February, the Orioles began spring training in Florida and Robinson turned the search over to his wife, Barbara. One day she phoned him in disgust.

"She said nothing was 'available' and that she wanted to take our two kids back to California, where we had family," Robinson said. "I told her, 'You stay there and I'll be right up.' I told [team owner] Jerry Hoffberger I was leaving camp because my family couldn't find housing in Baltimore. He said, 'Give me a couple of days and I'll get this thing settled.'"

With the owner's help, Robinson and his family settled in Ashburton, then a racially mixed upper-middle-class enclave in northwest Baltimore.

In spite of his baseball accomplishments, Robinson in 1966 had to cope with the complicated day-to-day realities of a city that remained racially divided in many ways. Time and again, he and his family were denied housing in a number of all-white neighhborhoods. He couldn't patronize most taverns in town. And his wife was rebuffed at a beauty shop whose female proprietor said, "If you were Mrs. Brooks Robinson, we could serve you."

"That's the way it was," said C. Fraser Smith, author of "Here Lies Jim Crow: Civil Rights in Maryland." "People would go into bars to watch guys like Frank Robinson hit home runs on TV, but they didn't want him [sitting] next to them having a beer. We weren't very enlightened."

Through it all, Robinson held his temper.

Baltimore Sun researcher Paul McCardell contributed to this article
Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: