DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2019, 12:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80705 Posts in 7226 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  First Major League Game You Ever Saw
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Major League Game You Ever Saw  (Read 2158 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2019, 01:34:03 AM »

Rivera did some hard time before reaching MLB - rape maybe? I remember reading back in the day that Bouchee had a weight problem, but then there was something else. Rentzel too was in the news for something other than playing football. So my guess is that all 3 had trouble with the law. 

Yes, i remember that Rivera had been a reclamation project from prison.  So, then the "Bathroom reference" was that Mel Allen was a "thug".  if you crossed him you might get slugged when you weren't looking?

doctordoowop

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2019, 12:37:34 PM »

Bouchee-pedophille.   Rivera  rape.  Rentzell  exposed  self  to   jr  high  girls. 

Mel--??  speculation only.
jp05

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »

My first big league game was a night game at Ebbetts Field, Dodgers vs. Red Sox, in July 1955. Even though I was a Dodger fan (at 8 yrs old), I don't remember who won. But I vividly remember entering the stadium from the first base side and seeing the green grass and bright lights! Remember seeing Ted Klusewski with his cut-off sleeves and big arms. It will stay with me forever! Only time to Ebbetts and the Dodgers moved west at the end of the 1957 season.
bklynmike101

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »

Great memory! Same green grass as my 1st game at Yankee Stadium in 1960. And I much remember Klu's cutoff shirts - but from baseball cards mostly.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »

My first big league game was a night game at Ebbetts Field, Dodgers vs. Red Sox, in July 1955. Even though I was a Dodger fan (at 8 yrs old), I don't remember who won. But I vividly remember entering the stadium from the first base side and seeing the green grass and bright lights! Remember seeing Ted Klusewski with his cut-off sleeves and big arms. It will stay with me forever! Only time to Ebbetts and the Dodgers moved west at the end of the 1957 season.

You must mean The Cincinnatti Redlegs.  There were no mid-season exhibition inter-league games in the middle of the NL season, back then.  Kluzewski was with The Redlegs, NOT Boston, AL.   

JoeC

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »

Klu is the only hitter since 1955 to hit over 40 HR and strike out 40 or fewer times. That record may stand awhile longer!!

Cut his sleeves because they were impeding his swing -- just too tight around his biceps.
doctordoowop

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 11:10:08 PM »

Robb-mayors trophy gamein NYC  featured yanks &  Dodgers or Giants.   Interleague in 1950s. 
jp05

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 06:28:00 AM »

Robb, I did mean the Redlegs. I lived in MA too long and Red Sox were what I had to live with! I've always mainly been a NL fan, growing up as a Dodger fan and adopting the Mets when they arrived several years after the Giants and Mets went west.

I moved to the Boston area in 1978, the year of the Bucky Dent home run to settle the AL pennant. At the company I where I works, we watched the playoff game in a conference room on a small B&W television. Probably 20 people and I was the only Yankee rooter. I was the only one cheering as the fly ball cleared the fence! Luckily, I kept my job! Never did become a Sox fan - my attempt at rebellion - but did attend a few Sox games each year. I actually became - and remain - a Yankee fan.

JP05
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »

Robb, I did mean the Redlegs. I lived in MA too long and Red Sox were what I had to live with! I've always mainly been a NL fan, growing up as a Dodger fan and adopting the Mets when they arrived several years after the Giants and Mets went west.

I moved to the Boston area in 1978, the year of the Bucky Dent home run to settle the AL pennant. At the company I where I works, we watched the playoff game in a conference room on a small B&W television. Probably 20 people and I was the only Yankee rooter. I was the only one cheering as the fly ball cleared the fence! Luckily, I kept my job! Never did become a Sox fan - my attempt at rebellion - but did attend a few Sox games each year. I actually became - and remain - a Yankee fan.

JP05
You need to review and edit what you type.  I KNOW you don't really think that The Mets moved to Los Angeles in 1958, or that The Red Sox played in The NL, or played exhibition games against NL teams during mid season.  But, it is interesting that The Boston Red Stockings weremoved to Boston from their original home in Cincinnati, as the Cincinnati Red Stockings.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: