DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 05:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80301 Posts in 7183 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Rhino Records
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rhino Records  (Read 149 times)
doctordoowop

« on: April 14, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »

Saw that  G.Stewart-RIP--ex-collector who  worked way  up  at Rhino  dead via suicide.   I never knew him, but unfortunately  both  co-founders Bronson & Foos.  They were both intolerable A-holes.  Bronson  knew nothing but lucked into a  lot of $$  after  picking up  Monkees catalog.

Foos talked a little more--he insisted-rudely-that  Lou Christie's fan club was  "2 Faces  Have I"--he was  angry when I corrected  him  -"Lightning  Strikes." 

More importantly  somehow--tied with criminals?--Rhino ended up  with the  whole  Hull,End, Gone etc labels from NYC.   Without Vera's help  those Doo  Wop box sets
would have been disasters.

Foos was in NYC  when UHGHA  had  a big weeekend &  he  never  cared to even go,  even tho  that was his reason for being in NYC.  What a clown.

Anyone else  familiar with  Rhino  records  2 founders?

JoeC

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »

A Mike Callahan, David Edwards and Patrice Eyries, wrote this about Rhino:

"Rhino Records started in 1973 as a record store in Westwood (west Los Angeles area). It was founded by Richard Foos, an ex-Philadelphian who moved west and reportedly started selling blues records the old-fashioned way, that is, out of the trunk of his car and later out of bins in the back of an electronics store, much like the startup entrepreneurs of the 1940s.

By 1975, when (one of the article authors) first happened upon the store, it was already a "happening" place. I (an author) was taking some short courses at UCLA when I spied the store... There seemed to be a brisk business, so the next day, I ... wandered in along with the rest of the collectors and music fans. It was a surprising store from a number of aspects, most of which were unknown at the time but widely imitated later. First, there was a selection of used records at reasonable prices. Then there was the large number of import albums, and even sections for obscure (to me, at least) local music. And to top it off, there were little knots of knowledgeable conversation going on between customers and the store employees. And unlike the Greenwich Village shops in Manhattan, they were talking about a lot wider variety of music than just doo-wops (this was 1975, the days of Bim Bam Boom and other fledgling collectors mags, usually devoted to r&b and doo-wop)."
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

Thanx.  Shopped a lot there  --on Westwood  Blvd--east side of street,  just North of SM  blvd.

Wonder  how many gems Rhino owned that were never released.
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »

Yeah, I spent a lot of time at UCLA recruiting, back in the 70s and 80s. Ate many meals at various restaurants in Westwood Village. Saw many movies at that old mission-style movie theater (was it the Fox? with the tower and steeple?). If cemetaries can be cool, that little park at the south end of the Village at Wilshire would be it. Many famous folks buried there. Marilyn Monroe, right?
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »

Joe-correct-across st from "Bruin."   Westwood  was once  Westwood Village, not now.

re Fox  theatre.   I was in line  once behind  Rona Barrett  {Bernstein}--the Harvey Levin of the 70s-80s  on ABC TV.   She was irate and  argued  loudly  that she had to pay  for  a ticket.Think then movies were about  $3. --$4.

Recall being in Fox theatre once  waiting for wife  at concession stand.   Don Adams--"Get Smart" was big then- came up to  concession  stand to   return Coke  for smaller drink & waited for few cents change.  He looked  at me expecting   a response  of recognition--as I often do with celebrities I ignored him.

Remember  thinking--cheap SOB  did all  that for few cents.

JoeC

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »

Very entertaining, Doc. As always!

Had my first Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookie on Westwood Blvd in 1980 (way before those stores became ubiquitous around the country). Once saw Terry Donahue (UCLA football coach) eating at Old Tony's, on the Redondo Beach pier. Actor Robert Patrick (The Terminator) eating dinner at that Italian restaurant situated in what once was the Laurel Canyon Country Store.

Why did they drop the "Village" part of the name? Think Westwood Viillage was classier. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:56 PM »

Joe- because  no longer  a quaint tiny village. Big buildings everywhere.  Used to  park  in front  of restaurant or movie- no  more.   Saw Nimoy-twice--at a restaurant &   movie in SMonca.

While shopping at Wesward Ho  mkt  at Ventura and  Sepulveda  yrs ago  added to  my Star trek  crowd-walked past   Bones McCoy. I did say hello to him,breaking my rule. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »

Joe- because  no longer  a quaint tiny village. Big buildings everywhere.  Used to  park  in front  of restaurant or movie- no  more.   Saw Nimoy-twice--at a restaurant &   movie in SMonca.

While shopping at Wesward Ho  mkt  at Ventura and  Sepulveda  yrs ago  added to  my Star trek  crowd-walked past   Bones McCoy. I did say hello to him,breaking my rule. Grin Grin Grin Grin
I remember Westwood Village.  I attended UCLA starting in 1964.  I remember the old slant parking, ma&pa market & drug store, the old theatres.  I also saw it way back in 1951, when visiting family who lived in nearby West L.A.  It was, indeed, a little suburban village.  There were lots of farms in the West L.A./Santa Monica/Culver City Area.  Where Marina Del Rey is now was Lake Los Angeles, a salt water lake stocked with fish for sport fishermen to catch.  There were many REAL farmers markets and roadside stands selling fresh corn on the cob and potatoes.  There were corn , bean and cucumber fields all over.  It was reasonably dark at night, unlike today, when it is light all 24 hours.  Hughes Airport was still in existence, and Santa Monica Airport was larger.  Playa Del Rey was a detached village, which extended southward far down the coast almost to El Segundo.  Most of the area of near-beach housing was taken out in the late 1960s because many more flight paths were paced over them.  The noise was dangerous, as the planes were very low at that point, taking off and landing.  At that early time, 1950, The San Fernando Valley was mostly farms, with a few small villages, plus San Fernando and Burbank.  L.A. was a hick town.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »

I go back with visiting Westwood only to 1979. My recollection was that, even then, there were a number of tall (for LA) buildings on the north end (Westwood Plaza) and at the other end, down by Wilshire.

Parking wasn't easy in the daytime back then but I'm sure it's many magnitudes worse today. Of course, you had the development around the 405 and the VA Hospital (but I guess that's, what, West LA?). I remember a lot of the UCLA frat and sorority houses were on the east side of campus on Hilgard, and many students lived off Gayley on the other side of the Village.
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:44 AM »

My (brief) Westwood days were mostly in the mid-80's. Already built up and "modern" by then. Old Tony's is still there on the Redondo Beach pier, and still owned by Tony Trutanwich (sp?), a regular poster to another board I occasionally frequent.
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »

My (brief) Westwood days were mostly in the mid-80's. Already built up and "modern" by then. Old Tony's is still there on the Redondo Beach pier, and still owned by Tony Trutanwich (sp?), a regular poster to another board I occasionally frequent.
Mike, In the summer of 1984, the Village and UCLA campus were "hopping" with people from the Olympic Games. Down at the Redondo Pier over the years (mostly the 80s for me), Tony's food ranged from alright to very good, but the view while dining at sunset was pretty darn spectacular.

Doc, ever eat at The Sunset in Zuma; pretty spectacular views there too. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »

Wow--Westwood  comment brought  out  nice memories. Robb--SM  Airport--was  Douglas---set  to n be closed in a few yrs.  People  moved in & then were upset about noise.

Joe-rite.West La. Goes  about 1.5  miles  down Wilshire  to SMonica.  BTW,bec of UCLA  drs  Wadsworth is  best VA hosp in  US  .  Rite  Joe--Hilgard & Gayley.--party town.

Never  went to  Sunset at Zuma.

Rite about LA  being a hick town-not long  ago.    Remember the 1st time I drove down HWood Blvd--thot was on Hempstead Turnpike.  Thot--"Where is Hollywood?   Expected  a Times Square.  It was  full  of Oakies  drinking their  "pop"  after  exiting the "plunge"
bklynmike101

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:09 AM »

Joe,

I'm not far from Redondo. I often walk the strand to the Redondo (and occasionally Hermosa) pier(s). I don't think I've ever been to Tony's though - maybe a long time ago.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »

Joe,

I'm not far from Redondo. I often walk the strand to the Redondo (and occasionally Hermosa) pier(s). I don't think I've ever been to Tony's though - maybe a long time ago.

My sister lives right by Hermosa's pier.  But they should move back to Denmark, now that they are set to retire, and their kids are out of the house (at university). 

bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »

Joe,

My sister lives right by Hermosa's pier.  But they should move back to Denmark, now that they are set to retire, and their kids are out of the house (at university). 

Understood. Hermosa has better weather though. We used to "dream" about moving to Sweden where we used to have family and housing options. Too much wetness though.  Grin 
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »

I had friends in Hermosa. They had a condo a couple blocks off the beach. You could walk easily to the pier. Built sometime in the 1970s I'd say.

Man, those things were built "up", not "out," if you get my meaning. The value of the land, I'm sure. Speaking of any sort of yard or land, non-existent for them.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »

Joe-re=84 Olympics  & Westwood.   Remember  the Fri nite  before  Olympics a crazy  man drove up on the sidewalk  --killing one  & injuring  48.   It was Danny Yoiung--very sick schizophrenic.  So incompetent  tried to  kill  self  lit head on fire-  but accidentally put out the fire with gas. 

I told a jury he was insane-- as usual  they didnt  buy  NGI--gave him 104  yrs in prison.
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 08:12:25 AM »

Joe-re=84 Olympics  & Westwood.   Remember  the Fri nite  before  Olympics a crazy  man drove up on the sidewalk  --killing one  & injuring  48.   It was Danny Yoiung--very sick schizophrenic.  So incompetent  tried to  kill  self  lit head on fire-  but accidentally put out the fire with gas. 

I told a jury he was insane-- as usual  they didnt  buy  NGI--gave him 104  yrs in prison.
I do recall that , Doc. The girl who died was a young teen, I think. Didn't Young claim something like he had written hit movies and songs for Eddie Murphy, Stevie Wonder, etc. and the gov't had made sure he didn't get paid. That was part of his beef/motive. Guy sounded "insane" to me.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 11:49:42 AM »

I think that ANYONE who plans out a murder is insane, and anyone who kills someone in a rage, is. at least. temporarily insane.  To my mind, only killing in self defensce, or by accident, when they didn't even mean to inflict major harm, is a killing by a person who is not insane, with the exception of someone being so brainpower deficient that he, or she didn't even know what being alive means to another person (being demented or a legal imbecile).  A person who sees other people as "things", and cannot empathise with them, who doesn't hold any value in other people's lives, is "insane".

doctordoowop

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »

Misspelled--Young.  Mostly correct Joe. But it  was  Jackson & Stones who  "stole"  from him-not Wonder or Murphy.  Typical LAPD-- they ignored him--never tried to  get   him in a hospital.    IMO,they  were  responsible  for the  incident--death,multiple nninjuries &  Young  locked up  from  ge  22  or  so to age 126.. Pathetic.

Simiar cases  too  numerous--why I have very little  respect  for lazy,ignorant cops.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: