DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 05:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80301 Posts in 7183 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Stanley Cup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stanley Cup  (Read 78 times)
JoeC

« on: April 16, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »

Thought we could use this thread for any Stanley Cup posts.

- Anyone think Tampa Bay, the clearly dominant regular season team, can come back against Columbus from 3-0 down? 

- Same with Penguins against Islanders, down 3-0. Pens have a chance?

- Who saw Ovechkin KO the 19 yr old Carolina player Svechnikov? In all the fights I've seen, don't know if I ever saw a player actually knocked out with one punch. Ovechkin really isn't much of a fighter; he says Svechnikov "invited" him to fight, so he did (after a slash and a couple cross checks from the kid had him in the mood).

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »

To  quote  RDDangerfield--"Went to  a fight & a hockey game broke out."
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »

Both Islanders & Jets sweeps are quite surprising. "That's why they play the games."
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »

Both Islanders & Jets sweeps are quite surprising. "That's why they play the games."
Jets are looking good but it was the Blue Jackets, not Jets, who swept their series against league-best Tampa Bay. Barry Trotz is a helluva coach. Stanley Cup last year and big Islanders success now!
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »

Tweet of apology from Tampa Bay organization to their fans. 62 freakin' wins in the regular season, then swept! +103 goal differential in regular season, then lose four in a row?? Coach Jon Cooper got extended right before start of this playoff series, yet they are calling for his head down there now.

Tampa Bay Lightning
?Verified account @TBLightning

We don’t have any words and we know you don’t want to hear them.

We understand your anger, your frustration, your sadness. Everything you’re feeling – we get it.

This isn’t the ending we imagined, and certainly not the one we wanted. Thank you for being there the entire way.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

ALL NHL teams have World Class talent.  The difference between the most talented teams and the "lesser teams" is fairly small, and fatigue from long road trips, or a bug traveling through a team, or lack of strong desire to win a specific game (e.g.  determination to do the hard work-skating hard, going to the tough areas, using the body in the physical game, using a lot of energy to play defence and win puck battles, etc.) makes more difference than inherent skating speed and skill, on a given night.   

The Lightning Bolts were dominant during the regular season.  They won The President's Trophy by a large margin.  They have several super players.  I guess they started to believe their press clippings that they were a super team, and subconsciously, they "let down", without realising it.  Subconsciously,  they assumed that they were so much better than the low-seeded wild-card team, that all they had to do was step out on the ice, and they would win.  They would have an easy 1st series, and save energy and wear-and-tear on their bodies needed for their 3rd and 4th series against better teams.  But hockey is a physical contact sport, in which success is a lot more dependent upon hard work and determination, and attitude (confidence and will to win), than more non-contact skill-oriented team games, like baseball.

The Lightning Bolts started at home vs.  the lowest seed in the playoffs.  They came out flat, not working at all, and not taking their opponent seriously.  That allowed Columbus (a very talented team) to gain a lot of confidence.  They were working hard in all areas of the game, and their defence was able to smother The Bolts' main offensive players.  They never had any time or room to operate in the high-scoring areas in front of the goal, and in the middle of the ice, in general.  By the time The Bolts tried to do something about their problem, (the 2 games in Columbus), they were panicking, instead of just naturally playing their normal game.  They were unable to adjust, as Columbus had gotten into a groove of really solid high-quality play.

The same thing happened to St. Louis vs. Winnipeg.  Those 2 teams are just about equal in talent.  They both finished tied with 99 points.  The Blues have better goaltending, better team defence, and more scoring power spread through their 4 forward lines.  The Jets have more super offensive players, and better average team skating speed.  The Blues have better Penalty Killing units.  The Jets have The NHL's most devastating Power Play 1st Unit.  The Blues depend upon their team defence blanketing their opponents' forward lines all game long, and their goaltenders (especially Binnington) bailing them out.  The Jets depend upon their scoring stars taking advantage of mistakes and lapses for quick and unopposed scores.   The Blues got cocky after winning both road games in Winnipeg, and came out flat at home, and lost both.  Same "mistake" as Tampa made.

bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »

Jets are looking good but it was the Blue Jackets, not Jets, who swept their series against league-best Tampa Bay. Barry Trotz is a helluva coach. Stanley Cup last year and big Islanders success now!

I knew that  Huh
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »

Mike, I knew you did!

Robb, Columbus went up on TB 3-0 in the first period of Game 1. The Bolts never recovered! 

I was at a Caps-Rangers game sitting near the Ranger bench once when Tortorella was the NYR coach. He was so loud with his screaming at his players for missed assignments or whatever that you could easily hear the abuse he was heaping out! I guess it works as a motivator though.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »

Andrei Svechnikov's brother (in the Red Wings organization) has "threatened" Ovechkin on Instagram. Unless he has ties to the Russian mob, I doubt Ovi's worried too much.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »

The games tonight  (last night for me)- Lucky I work at home!  I'll go to sleep now.  3 of the 4 games had a goal within the first 20 seconds!!!  Blues came back from 0-2 deficit to score 3 in The 3rd, last one with 15 seconds left, to avoid overtime vs.  The faster-skating Jets.  Washington and Carolina tied at 2 wins each.  Good games in the playoffs so far this season.  Both 1st place finishers in both conferences out in Round 1.  A first for The NHL.

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »

Hurricanes "paid back" the Caps for the Ovechkin KO. TJ Oshie paid the price last night -- it'll be "a while" until he plays again.
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »

Two first-round Game 7's coming up. Tonight, Leafs-Bruins. Tomorrow, Capitals-Hurricanes.

Kuznetsov has totally disappeared for the Caps. Playing with no spark or determination. Just written off as his being a "moody" player. I put it down more to his signing a $52 million contract taking him through 2025. TJ Oshie, whose presence is sorely missed due to his broken clavicle, makes 25% less.
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »

Cant explain why-but  lost all interest  in hockey.  But  much more in baseball.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: