DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2019, 12:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80705 Posts in 7226 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Stanley Cup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stanley Cup  (Read 1133 times)
JoeC

« on: April 16, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »

Thought we could use this thread for any Stanley Cup posts.

- Anyone think Tampa Bay, the clearly dominant regular season team, can come back against Columbus from 3-0 down? 

- Same with Penguins against Islanders, down 3-0. Pens have a chance?

- Who saw Ovechkin KO the 19 yr old Carolina player Svechnikov? In all the fights I've seen, don't know if I ever saw a player actually knocked out with one punch. Ovechkin really isn't much of a fighter; he says Svechnikov "invited" him to fight, so he did (after a slash and a couple cross checks from the kid had him in the mood).

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »

To  quote  RDDangerfield--"Went to  a fight & a hockey game broke out."
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:57 AM »

Both Islanders & Jets sweeps are quite surprising. "That's why they play the games."
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »

Both Islanders & Jets sweeps are quite surprising. "That's why they play the games."
Jets are looking good but it was the Blue Jackets, not Jets, who swept their series against league-best Tampa Bay. Barry Trotz is a helluva coach. Stanley Cup last year and big Islanders success now!
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »

Tweet of apology from Tampa Bay organization to their fans. 62 freakin' wins in the regular season, then swept! +103 goal differential in regular season, then lose four in a row?? Coach Jon Cooper got extended right before start of this playoff series, yet they are calling for his head down there now.

Tampa Bay Lightning
?Verified account @TBLightning

We don’t have any words and we know you don’t want to hear them.

We understand your anger, your frustration, your sadness. Everything you’re feeling – we get it.

This isn’t the ending we imagined, and certainly not the one we wanted. Thank you for being there the entire way.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

ALL NHL teams have World Class talent.  The difference between the most talented teams and the "lesser teams" is fairly small, and fatigue from long road trips, or a bug traveling through a team, or lack of strong desire to win a specific game (e.g.  determination to do the hard work-skating hard, going to the tough areas, using the body in the physical game, using a lot of energy to play defence and win puck battles, etc.) makes more difference than inherent skating speed and skill, on a given night.   

The Lightning Bolts were dominant during the regular season.  They won The President's Trophy by a large margin.  They have several super players.  I guess they started to believe their press clippings that they were a super team, and subconsciously, they "let down", without realising it.  Subconsciously,  they assumed that they were so much better than the low-seeded wild-card team, that all they had to do was step out on the ice, and they would win.  They would have an easy 1st series, and save energy and wear-and-tear on their bodies needed for their 3rd and 4th series against better teams.  But hockey is a physical contact sport, in which success is a lot more dependent upon hard work and determination, and attitude (confidence and will to win), than more non-contact skill-oriented team games, like baseball.

The Lightning Bolts started at home vs.  the lowest seed in the playoffs.  They came out flat, not working at all, and not taking their opponent seriously.  That allowed Columbus (a very talented team) to gain a lot of confidence.  They were working hard in all areas of the game, and their defence was able to smother The Bolts' main offensive players.  They never had any time or room to operate in the high-scoring areas in front of the goal, and in the middle of the ice, in general.  By the time The Bolts tried to do something about their problem, (the 2 games in Columbus), they were panicking, instead of just naturally playing their normal game.  They were unable to adjust, as Columbus had gotten into a groove of really solid high-quality play.

The same thing happened to St. Louis vs. Winnipeg.  Those 2 teams are just about equal in talent.  They both finished tied with 99 points.  The Blues have better goaltending, better team defence, and more scoring power spread through their 4 forward lines.  The Jets have more super offensive players, and better average team skating speed.  The Blues have better Penalty Killing units.  The Jets have The NHL's most devastating Power Play 1st Unit.  The Blues depend upon their team defence blanketing their opponents' forward lines all game long, and their goaltenders (especially Binnington) bailing them out.  The Jets depend upon their scoring stars taking advantage of mistakes and lapses for quick and unopposed scores.   The Blues got cocky after winning both road games in Winnipeg, and came out flat at home, and lost both.  Same "mistake" as Tampa made.

bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »

Jets are looking good but it was the Blue Jackets, not Jets, who swept their series against league-best Tampa Bay. Barry Trotz is a helluva coach. Stanley Cup last year and big Islanders success now!

I knew that  Huh
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »

Mike, I knew you did!

Robb, Columbus went up on TB 3-0 in the first period of Game 1. The Bolts never recovered! 

I was at a Caps-Rangers game sitting near the Ranger bench once when Tortorella was the NYR coach. He was so loud with his screaming at his players for missed assignments or whatever that you could easily hear the abuse he was heaping out! I guess it works as a motivator though.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »

Andrei Svechnikov's brother (in the Red Wings organization) has "threatened" Ovechkin on Instagram. Unless he has ties to the Russian mob, I doubt Ovi's worried too much.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »

The games tonight  (last night for me)- Lucky I work at home!  I'll go to sleep now.  3 of the 4 games had a goal within the first 20 seconds!!!  Blues came back from 0-2 deficit to score 3 in The 3rd, last one with 15 seconds left, to avoid overtime vs.  The faster-skating Jets.  Washington and Carolina tied at 2 wins each.  Good games in the playoffs so far this season.  Both 1st place finishers in both conferences out in Round 1.  A first for The NHL.

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »

Hurricanes "paid back" the Caps for the Ovechkin KO. TJ Oshie paid the price last night -- it'll be "a while" until he plays again.
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »

Two first-round Game 7's coming up. Tonight, Leafs-Bruins. Tomorrow, Capitals-Hurricanes.

Kuznetsov has totally disappeared for the Caps. Playing with no spark or determination. Just written off as his being a "moody" player. I put it down more to his signing a $52 million contract taking him through 2025. TJ Oshie, whose presence is sorely missed due to his broken clavicle, makes 25% less.
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »

Cant explain why-but  lost all interest  in hockey.  But  much more in baseball.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »

Cant explain why-but  lost all interest  in hockey.  But  much more in baseball.
Toronto, Calgary, and Winnipeg out in The first Round.  No Canadian team even into Round 2 this season.  Lousy things going on.  Only 1 "Original 6" team into Round 2.  Pretty soon only desert and tropics franchises will have a chance to win the Stanley Cup (which was donated by Lord Stanley to award CANADA'S best hockey team!

bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »

At least the league is still populated heavily by Canadian players.
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »

I'm not even sure of that anymore. The Capitals, who I follow most closely, have less than a handful of Canadians, and only a couple key guys (Holtby and Wilson). Lotta Americans and Europeans. Key guys are a couple Russians (Ovechkin and Kuznetsov), Americans (TJ Oshie, John Carlson) and a Swede (Backstrom). The Carolina Hurricanes, who just beat the Caps, rely heavily on Finns. Or so it seemed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:43:05 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 03:54:41 PM »

I'm not even sure of that anymore. The Capitals, who I follow most closely, have less than a handful of Canadians, and only a couple key guys. Lotta Americans and Europeans. Key guys are Russian, American and Swedish.
Currently, about 58% of The NHL's players are Canadians, 13% Americans, 28% northern and central Europeans, and 1% are from elsewhere.  A far cry from the time when we were kids, and about 94-96% were Canadian, and 4-6% were American.

Now, The Canadian teams are at a disadvantage, because the stars (biggest difference makers) can make a lot more money in the biggest metropolitan areas, and because of the high taxes in Canada, they must pay 20-25% higher salaries across the board.  So, it is much harder for them to keep superstars, once they can become free agents.  Because the overall skill levels of NHL players is so high, and so close for 95 % of the players, the number of real difference makers a team has determines whether or not they have a real chance to win it all.  It is very much harder to win The Stanley Cup if a team has only one, or no difference makers.  Everything has to go right with player health, meshing of styles, the locker room, players agreeing with the coach's message, players having played together long enough for them to "click together", and getting the right bounces and unprejudiced reffing during the playoffs.  It CAN be done, but it is VERY difficult.  The last Canadian team to win it was Montreal in 1993.  That is already 26 years ago.  Canadian teams are 7 out of an average of about 28 or so over those 26 years.  So, all things being equal, they should have won it 25% of the time, or almost 7 of those 26 years.  They're already out this season.  So, that makes it the last 27 years.  So, they should have won it 7 times.  They haven't had more than a couple teams in The Cup Finals during that period.  I think there should be some rules in place to allow them to again be competitive.

JoeC

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »

I'm starting to think this may be the Sharks year.
bklynmike101

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »

caught a bit of last night's Sharks-Avs contest. Reminded me that nothing is more exciting than a close playoff game in the last few minutes after the trailing team pulls its goaltender with 2-3 minutes left. The frenzy of it all!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »

I'm starting to think this may be the Sharks year.
I don't think The Sharks can beat either Dallas or St. Louis.

doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 12:49:15 AM »

Heard  there is a  labor problem  with female  pucksters-  really--still   play profesionally.
bklynmike101

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »

I read that their salary is $2,000 per month.  Kind of like in the B, C, & D  leagues in 50's baseball.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »

I read that their salary is $2,000 per month.  Kind of like in the B, C, & D  leagues in 50's baseball.

Wow!  That's terrible!  I'm semi-retired, and I make more than that.

doctordoowop

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »

But no  ESPN  $$-&  I dont even know where they play.
JoeC

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »

That Blues-Stars Game 7 was pretty intense. Patrick Maroon is a load out there on the ice. How rare is it to have a St. Louis born and bred guy playing in the NHL? I mean, North Dakota, Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc., I can understand.

Another Game 7 tonight with Sharks-Avs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:20:59 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 06:16:10 PM »

That Blues-Stars Game 7 was pretty intense. Patrick Maroon is a load out there on the ice. Who rare is it t0 have a St. Louis born and bred guy playing in the NHL? I mean, North Dakota, Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc., I can understand.

Ha! Ha! - St. Louis is one of North America's hockey hotbeds these days.  The very goalie who Maroon beat for the winning goal, Ben Bishop, was born and bred in St. Louis, and played at the same high school (Chaminade) as Paul and Yan Stastny (both NHLers).  He is the favourite to win The Vezina Trophy this season.  Bishop played his AAA Juniors for The Junior St. Louis Blues, as did The Stastnys, Maroon. Brady Tkachuck, Mike McKenna, Joe Vitale, Adam Lowrey, Chris Butler, and Landon Wilson.  There is a St. Louis-born player in The Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame: Pat LaFonteine (I'm sure you've heard of him).  Paul Stastny, now with Las Vegas, was a very good player for Colorado and St. Louis for many years.   Here's a list of NHL Players born in St. Louis as of 2017:

Paul Stastny is 30 years old, and has 288 goals and almost 700 points.  He'll likely finish his NHL career with 400 goals and over 1,000 points.  Pat LaFonteine is a Hall of Famer.  Minnesota, Michigan, Boston, Rest of New England, Alaska, Upstate New York, North Dakota, and St. Louis are the hockey hotbeds of USA!   Grin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:23:21 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »

I knew St. Louis was a hotbed of soccer excellence. (At one time, seemed like half the US World Cup team was from St. Louis). Had no idea of its hockey history.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »

St. Louis hockey players Part II:
Here's a blurb about The 2016 NHL draft, in which 4 St. Louis born and bred members of The AAA Junior St. Louis Blues were drafted in The NHL's First Round's first 15 picks, and a fifth was drafted late in The First Round (29th).  So, Five players from the same St. Louis junior team were drafted in The NHL's First Round!:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:30:15 PM by Robb_K » Logged

jp05

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

Robb, interesting perspective on St. Louis junior hockey. When I first looked at your post, I was surprised with both Brady and Matthew Tkachuck. There father, Keith, was from the Boston area and I just figured they were MA rink rats. According to hockeydb.com, both Brady and Matthew were born in Scottsdale, AZ when Keith was playing there. They were both under 5 years old when Keith went to the Blues. But the would have played youth hockey in St. Louis.  Both are now outstanding young players in the NHL.
JoeC

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

Who were the first American impact players in the NHL? There was Frank Brimsek in the 40s and Tommy Williams in the early 60s. Both of them were from Minnesota I think. Others ...??

First Round draft choices: Was the Boston-area's Bobby Carpenter the first American to be selected that high?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: