DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 06:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80512 Posts in 7196 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Stanley Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stanley Cup  (Read 433 times)
doctordoowop

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »

jp-Related to Walt  Tkachuk?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 03:00:48 AM »

jp-Related to Walt  Tkachuk?
Walt Tkaczuk was from Northern Ontario.  Brady and Matt Tkachuck are the 2 sons of Keith Tkachck, an American Caucasian, from Boston.  Walt should be old enough to be an unusually old grandfather to them.  Walt played in the 1960s and into the '70s.  Keith played in the 1990s and 2000s.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 03:08:36 AM »

Robb, interesting perspective on St. Louis junior hockey. When I first looked at your post, I was surprised with both Brady and Matthew Tkachuck. There father, Keith, was from the Boston area and I just figured they were MA rink rats. According to hockeydb.com, both Brady and Matthew were born in Scottsdale, AZ when Keith was playing there. They were both under 5 years old when Keith went to the Blues. But the would have played youth hockey in St. Louis.  Both are now outstanding young players in the NHL.

I'll have to think about this for awhile.  There were some Americans, mostly from Minnesota, that played well in The NHL, all along from the early 1920s through the 1940s, then, there were only very few who made The NHL in the 1950s and 1960s.  Tommy Williams is the only one I can think of during that period.  Frankie Brimsek was from  Minnesota and he played in The NHL from 1940-53.  In the 1970s more started making it.  But, it is only since the 1990s that they have been a decent % of NHL players.

bklynmike101

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

When I first "found" hockey in the mid-60's, and for a while thereafter, I believe Tommy Williams was the lone American in the NHL. Didn't stop me from idolizing the "great" Reggie Fleming though and trying to imitate him (briefly) when playing street hockey.  Grin   
jp05

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »

I don't think there were many USA players in the NHL until the 80's and early 90's. Chelios, Sacco, Roenick, Amonte, Brian Leach, and a few more. It was a big deal when Bobby Carpenter (MA), Brian Lawton (Mt. St. Charles HS, Rhode Island and Brian Berard (Mt. St. Charles, Rhode Island) were #1 overall picks. Carpenter made the cover of Sports Illustrated. Today the NHL is truly international - much more so than other major pro leagues.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 10:45:45 PM »

I don't think there were many USA players in the NHL until the 80's and early 90's. Chelios, Sacco, Roenick, Amonte, Brian Leach, and a few more. It was a big deal when Bobby Carpenter (MA), Brian Lawton (Mt. St. Charles HS, Rhode Island and Brian Berard (Mt. St. Charles, Rhode Island) were #1 overall picks. Carpenter made the cover of Sports Illustrated. Today the NHL is truly international - much more so than other major pro leagues.

Isn't US Major League Baseball international, with a team in Canada, and LOTS of players from Mexico, The Carribean, Central and South America, plus a few from The Far East?

bklynmike101

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »

And Moe Drabowsky from Poland, along with Elmer Valo from Czech-land, both promising up and comers.  Grin

Dominican Republic alone accounts for some 25% of all MLB players Also represented - Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Nicaragua, Columbia, Panama, Venezuela, Cuba, Brazil, various islands in the Caribbean, and the odd person born overseas to an American family - often military. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »

A couple  from Australia  too --if  not now-  recently.
JoeC

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 08:51:00 AM »

Sharks-Blues. Vegas line only makes the Sharks a slight favorite. Blues will have to stop the two big Sharks Centers, Couture and Hertl, who have both been tearing it up so far!
jp05

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »

How could I miss MLB? javascript:void(0); Yes, very international, mostly from around the Caribbean, plus a few from Asia. Watch many games with the volume down (while reading or listening to music! multi-tasking at its worst.)

doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »

With 25%   MLB  Dominicans,   it always got me angry  when Morgan lamented on Sun nites  the  paucity of   AA players.   Young   USA kids of any  color  much prefer  baseline slams   to    MLB Hrs--& I  agree with  Reynolds the ball   is    juiced.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:00 PM »

Ugly win for The Blues over The Sharks last night.  It's going to be a long, tough series, as I expected. 

bklynmike101

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »

I recognize that no teams from the "great  white north" are still in it, but at least one "original 6" is still in, albeit the much unloved B ; Boston entry.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

The Blues had tonight's game won 4-3, when they missed 2 easy potential empty-netters, and then in OT the 4 officials on the ice all missed seeing an obvious hand pass in the offensive zone by a Shark to a teammate right in front of the Blues' goal, and he hit it in, when the play should have been called dead the instant the player's glove touched it.  They were cheated out of this game.

jp05

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »

The Blues did lose the game on official misconduct. Clearly a hand pass. Was a pretty good game. The Sharks dominated the first period, the Blues in my opinion outplayed them for most of the last two periods and OT. Overall a pretty good game. It was nice to see Thornton get 2 goals at 39 years old! Hope springs eternal.
JoeC

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »

The Blues had tonight's game won 4-3, when they missed 2 easy potential empty-netters, and then in OT the 4 officials on the ice all missed seeing an obvious hand pass in the offensive zone by a Shark to a teammate right in front of the Blues' goal, and he hit it in, when the play should have been called dead the instant the player's glove touched it.  They were cheated out of this game.
Even taking into account how fast the game is, NHL officials leave a lot to be desired. Not just in this game. Plus, maybe the replay rules? That was just too obvious to everyone but the four blind men.

I hate to even think it but, with gambling becoming legalized everyday in more and more venues, the "losers" aren't gonna stand for losing their money on obvious plays like that. Hence, more replays which will slow the game down but provide more chance of "getting the call right."
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »

The Blues had tonight's game won 4-3, when they missed 2 easy potential empty-netters, and then in OT the 4 officials on the ice all missed seeing an obvious hand pass in the offensive zone by a Shark to a teammate right in front of the Blues' goal, and he hit it in, when the play should have been called dead the instant the player's glove touched it.  They were cheated out of this game.
Even taking into account how fast the game is, NHL officials leave a lot to be desired. Not just in this game. Plus, maybe the replay rules? That was just too obvious to everyone but the four blind men.

I hate to even think it but, with gambling becoming legalized everyday in more and more venues, the "losers" aren't gonna stand for losing their money on obvious plays like that. Hence, more replays which will slow the game down but provide more chance of "getting the call right."

The NHL absolutely HAS to use replays more, to get the calls right - at least in the playoffs.  That was ridiculous.  It is absurd that a goal scored a minute and a half after a 1/10th of an inch almost indiscernible on replay offside, after the puck touched many different sticks is called back, and a goal scored on a clearly deliberately illegal action, which was clear on live viewing (full speed), at full speed, by 95% of viewers watched by FOUR league officials, close by, on the ice, was NOT seen (or ignored).  It looks like they were ordered to help The Sharks win that game.  There were two other games with controversial calls FOR The Sharks in their series against Colorado, which were won by The Sharks because of them.

bklynmike101

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »

Replay tradeoffs involve all sports now.  Given the speed of the game, blocked views, and the like, it's amazing that the arbiters get calls right as often as they do. With so much money riding on calls, however, and such a dine line between on-side/off-side, blocking foul/charge/no call (NBA), pass interference/offensive pass interference, no call (NFL), and who touched it last, it's not an obvious one size fits all solution. maybe the NHL should go to, as the NBA does somewhat, some sort of gradient wherein replay use increases with criticality of the moment, as Robb suggested. No easy answers. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: