DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2019, 06:11:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80512 Posts in 7196 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Trivia -- All Jewish Team
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trivia -- All Jewish Team  (Read 66 times)
JoeC

« on: May 15, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »

Again, as with the Polish Team, this only goes up through the 1976 season.

RHP - 1905-1917. Once pitched two shutouts in one day. Pitched a one hitter in a World Series game. Always in National League.

LHP - 1955-66. No clues should be needed for this one!

Relief Pitcher - 1958-68. Part of the only Jewish brother battery in MLB history. Born with two club feet.

C - 1933-42. Only played for one team (NL). Refused lodging at the Flamingo Hotel on Miami Beach during Spring Training due to their "No Jews" policy. Nickname: Harry The Horse. .285 career hitter.

1B - 1930-47. In a 1930s WS, Umpire George Moriarty threw several opposing players out of the game due to their anti-Semitic bench jockeying directed toward this 1B (and was sanctioned by the Commissioner Landis for doing so).

2B - For some reason, none listed?? Think there was confusion over whether Rod Carew was Jewish or not.

SS - 1925-41. (I thought this player was a 2B, but what do I know?). Involved in kicking off one of baseball's all-time most violent brawls when the scurrilous Ben Chapman spiked him and called him many slurs. Brawl eventually extended into the stands. Lifetime BA of .303. His Jewish bona fides seem also to be in question (after he retired, said he was really just "German").

3B - 1947-56. Future President/CEO of the NY Yankees. Wished his name had been more Jewish (like adding "stein" to it). Once told C Matt Batts he would "murder him" if he didn't stop with the slurs.

LF - 1941-55. Leo Durocher coupled this player with Mel Ott as guys who were "too nice." Fourth in 1948 NL MVP voting. Hit four Grand Slams in 1950. From Brooklyn, NY.

CF - 1912-20. Known as the "Ty Cobb of the Federal League" from 1912-15. In the NL from 1916-20. Holds record for being picked off First Base 3x in one game. Led the NL in extra base hits in 1919; second in HRs. Suspended by Commissioner Landis in 1921 for alleged auto theft.

RF - 1903-10. 1906 AL batting champ (beat out Nap Lajoie). Mainly, a St. Louis Brown. Only AL batting champion in years 1901-28 who is not in the MLB HoF. 

MGR - Managed Chicago White Sox in the late 1920s; discovered the river mud used to take the shine off new baseballs (was still being used in 1976).
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »

CF - Benny Kauff
RF - George Stone
1B - Hank Greenberg
3B - Al Rosen
LHP - Sanford Koufax
RHP - "Big Ed" Ruelbach (who has a VERY German-non-Jewish name, and was buried in a Catholic cemetary  - so, I really wonder how "Jewish" he was)
LF - Sid Gordon
C - Harry Danning
SS - Buddy Myer  (he was a 2nd Basemen for the better, and most important part of his career)  Lou Budreau should have been the SS.
2B - none (should be Rod Carew or Buddy Myer)
Rel. P - Larry Sherry - catcher brother - Norm.  Both with The (hated) Dodgers.
MGR - No idea!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:45:04 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »

All five of those are correct.

I had no idea Al Rosen was as respected a player as he was. I mean, I knew he was a great player but ... he seems to have had the respect of teammates and opponents alike. For his on-field play and for his physical toughness. Had to retire at 32 due to back and leg problems. I think he also realized he could make more money as a stock broker. Especially, when the ingrate Indians management wanted to cut his salary after the '54 WS loss.
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »

All correct except the Manager. I think he only managed in a couple seasons at the end of the Roaring 20s. He was in the game at the Major League level, though, from 1910 as a player, coach and manager (all while moving between the majors and minor leagues). He always played sparingly both before and after he became a coach and manager. He was a weak hitting utility infielder. Best known by a nickname.

Bottom line: there was no great Jewish candidate to name as Mgr. This man's managerial record was 99-133.

On Harry Danning, he was a good choice as Catcher but what about Johnny Kling back in the early 1900s? He was the first Catcher to move close to the batter and to throw from a crouch. Wasn't he Jewish?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »

All correct except the Manager. I think he only managed in a couple seasons at the end of the Roaring 20s. He was in the game at the Major League level, though, from 1910 as a player, coach and manager (all while moving between the majors and minor leagues). He always played sparingly both before and after he became a coach and manager. He was a weak hitting utility infielder. Best known by a nickname.

Bottom line: there was no great Jewish candidate to name as Mgr. This man's managerial record was 99-133.

On Harry Danning, he was a good choice as Catcher but what about Johnny Kling back in the early 1900s? He was the first Catcher to move close to the batter and to throw from a crouch. Wasn't he Jewish?
Kling married a Jewish woman in a Synagogue.  But, I don't know if they raised their children Jewish.  He was said to have not been born Jewish.  But many Jewish organisations claimed him a member of their religion.  I doubt that he converted to Judaism, as his wife was purported to have said that "He was never Jewish."  But, he's a member of many "all-time Jewish all-star teams", nevertheless (probably because there weren't many catchers from which to choose).  after all The Catchers' equipment are called "the tools of ignorance".   Grin  From his photos, he looks very like the typical Eastern European Ashkkanazi Jews.  But, many non-Jewish Germans look that way, as well.  Many thousands of the latter had German Jewish ancestors who converted to Christianity under duress.

Ray Schalk was manager of The White Sox from 1926-half of 1928.  Then Lena Blackburne took over.  He manged The Sox for the rest of The 1920s.  So, I guess you meant Blackburne.  I'd never heard of Blackburne having been Jewish.  My uncle, who took us to Cubs, Sox, and Black Hawks' games, was one of those chauvanistic Jews, who knew everything about Jewish American and Canadian sports stars and regular players.  He never mentioned Blackburne to me.  A Jewish major league manager during the late 1920s - he should have known EVERY Jewish manager from 1871 (start of US National Baseball Association)!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:46:16 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »

I have to conclude that I read your post wrong, and your candidate for Jewish team manager was NOT manager of The White Sox near the end of the 1920s, as Lena Blackburne wasn't Jewish, and you'd have mentioned the trivia regarding "Lena Blackburne's mud", which was a great "treatment" for baseballs. I have no idea who it could be.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:41:06 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »

Robb, look at my original post. I mention the "river mud" and one of its' purposes.  

Secondly, according to the MLB records I see, Lena Blackburne managed the White Sox in the 1928 and 1929 seasons. Since he managed 232 games for them, I have to conclude at least one of those seasons was a partial season. Schalk was the manager in 1926 and 1927, and maybe part of 1928?? I know he left in a salary dispute.

Lastly, I only had one source saying Lena was Jewish (It wasn't me, because I had never heard of Lena up to that point). My bad. I can't confirm that he was. I bow to your information that he was NOT Jewish. Have there been any Jewish managers since 1976 when that article was done?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:15:04 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »

Brad Ausmus is considered Jewish.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »

Robb, look at my original post. I mention the "river mud" and one of its' purposes.  

Secondly, according to the MLB records I see, Lena Blackburne managed the White Sox in the 1928 and 1929 seasons. Since he managed 232 games for them, I have to conclude at least one of those seasons was a partial season. Schalk was the manager in 1926 and 1927, and maybe part of 1928?? I know he left in a salary dispute.

Lastly, I only had one source saying Lena was Jewish (It wasn't me, because I had never heard of Lena up to that point). My bad. I can't confirm that he was. I bow to your information that he was NOT Jewish. Have there been any Jewish managers since 1976 when that article was done?

Andy Cohen managed 1 game for The Phillies in 1960!   Grin  Yes, Schalk managed 2.5 years of the late 20s, and Blackburne managed the other 2.5.  But neither were Jewish.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: