DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 12:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80590 Posts in 7208 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Chicago
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 57 times)
JoeC

« on: June 11, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »

Read this on a flight to LA last week.

Due to glaciers that receded some thousands of years ago, "soft pockets" were left in the earth causing Chicago to "sink" at a rate of 4 inches every 100 years. Doesn't sound like much but apparently the streets and underground water mains, sewage and utilities are impacted (or are about to be).

Didn't know it but much of Chicago was built on a swamp (they actually raised the ground level downtown by 4 feet back in the mid-1800's). That doesn't seem to be holding up too well. They also reversed the flow of the Chicago River in 1900 to stop the flow of industrial waste into Lake Michigan. For a number of reasons, such as the migration of invasive species of fish, there are current discussions of actually returning the river to it's natural flow.

Anyone have any more to add? Unless you count O'Hare, Chicago is a town I've spent very little time in. Did stay at the Palmer House on Monroe St. and see a game at Wrigley back in the late 70s/early 80s.
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

Not really-joking-- but they deserve it.  Only  ONE  of the hundreds  of Chicagoans  I have asked  had a vague  idea  why its named O'Hare. Sure u knowJoe.
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »

Not really-joking-- but they deserve it.  Only  ONE  of the hundreds  of Chicagoans  I have asked  had a vague  idea  why its named O'Hare. Sure u knowJoe.
Don't know. You're causing me to look it up!  Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »

Butch--great pilot  killed in WW2. 

I  had to look  up idlwid-e-wat a surprise!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:19:55 PM »

Named after WWII US army Air Corps flying ace, Butch O'Hare.  It used to be called Orchard Field during WWII, because that area was previously filled with apple orchards.  Unusual name for an important place.  Usually, important places are named after controversial political figures in Chicagoland.  Just like Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and New Jersey, a high proportion of the most powerful political figures in their histories were far from behaving like angels.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 08:28:08 PM »

I think it's pretty typical of USA now, that there are millions of airheads walking around now, who (as the old saying goes) "don't know their arse from a hole in the ground) (or subsiding former swampland, in this case!   Cheesy

I don't think the average IQ of Chicagoans is any lower than that of any other major US city.  But, probably 95% of them are lower than most of the Inuits in Nunavut.

Based on what I've seen during my lifetime, I'd say there are a LOT more dolts walking around now than when I was young (and that's not just because there are more people alive now!   Cry

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: