DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2019, 12:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
80705 Posts in 7226 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Jim Bouton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Jim Bouton  (Read 76 times)
JoeC

« on: July 11, 2019, 08:12:31 AM »

Best known for ground-breaking tell-all book but a pretty darn good right-hander too. Won 21 for Yanks in 1963 and 18 in 1964. Also, won both his starts in '64 World Series. Age 80.
bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »

Bouton was an excellent pitcher before getting hurt. His book, an original copy of which I still have, was terrific. Later, he served as a reasonable sports announcer on the nightly news in New York, with a slightly irreverent tone.
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »

Mike, I recall Jim on TV. Good at that too.

"Ball Four," scandalous at the time, reads like Jack and Jill as far as "tell all" books go these days but ... the baseball player community still remains pretty closed off compared to other professions.  I recall Mantle was furious at Jim at the time. More for revealing his womanizing than drinking, if I remember correctly.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »

Jim Bouton attend my last high school, where I graduated , Homewood-Flossmoor High, in Flossmoor, Illinois.  I lived in Homewood, and so did he.  He graduated 6 years earlier than I did.  He was a big hero there, making The Majors. 

doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »

Ithot he was from  NJ.  Jim Brosnan wrote  the 1st   "tell   all  book"  RIP
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »

Ithot he was from  NJ.  Jim Brosnan wrote  the 1st   "tell   all  book"  RIP

A few years ago, I tried to re-read Brosnan's book. I couldn't.

Here's a typical passage: ""Catchers, of course have underdeveloped brains or they would never have chosen that particular job, but X-rays of their heads would probably be useless. Masochists are what they are. A man must love to get banged up if he deliberately chooses to be a catcher."

Might have been scintillating insight in the 50s (though I doubt it); it certainly doesn't pass muster today. Inanity like that is what we get from most TV announcers these days. Difference is that their words aren't recorded for posterity.

A revelation I liked? Brosnan's wife called him "Meat." Interesting!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:56:41 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

Brosnan wrote two breakthrough books - The Long Season and Pennant Race - both of which I devoured when I purchased them at about ages 10-12. Though not quite as ribald as Bouton's later effort, they were a far cry from the typical sanitized, ghost-written 'first-person" accounts ascribed to the athletes of the day.  I probably read The Long Season a dozen times, back in the day.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:56 AM »

Ithot he was from  NJ.  Jim Brosnan wrote  the 1st   "tell   all  book"  RIP

He moved to The Chicago area (Homewood, IL) when he was 15.  He was the claim to fame of our high school, (it has lots of his memorobelia) so I know he went there.  Here's the blurb of his early life from Wikipedia:

"Bouton was born in Newark, New Jersey, the son of Gertrude (Vischer) and George Hempstead Bouton, an executive.[1] He grew up as a fan of the New York Giants in Rochelle Park, New Jersey, where he lived until the age of 13.[2] He lived with his family in Ridgewood, New Jersey until he was 15, when his family relocated to Homewood, Illinois."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:20:52 AM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »

Robb,

Another H-F grad (Class of 1971) of note:

Larry Rothschild is an American professional baseball pitcher, coach, and manager. Since 2011, he has served as the pitching coach of the New York Yankees.

Rothschild played for the Detroit Tigers of MLB in 1981 and 1982. In addition to the Yankees, he has coached for the Cincinnati Reds, Atlanta Braves, Florida Marlins, and Chicago Cubs. He served as the manager of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays from 1998 through 2001.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: