DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2019, 06:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
81393 Posts in 7403 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  NY Mets 1960s Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NY Mets 1960s Trivia  (Read 90 times)
JoeC

« on: November 26, 2019, 08:50:05 PM »

1. First Mets team (1962) had two 20 game losers, a 19 game loser and a 17 game loser on their staff. Guesses on names (before clues)?

2. 1962 lineup featured a bunch of journeymen so not surprising that only two Mets "regulars" played in 100+ games. One was the HR leader (34) and one was the SS. Guesses?

3. Who hit the Mets first franchise HR?

4. By 1966, four Mets started in 1966 and played in over 100 games. Positions were 1B, 2B, 3B, and CF. Guesses at players?

5. 1969 World Champion Mets featured two primary relief pitchers. Tug McGraw is not one of them as he started a handful of games that year. Name them. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »

1. First Mets team (1962) had two 20 game losers, a 19 game loser and a 17 game loser on their staff. Guesses on names (before clues)?

2. 1962 lineup featured a bunch of journeymen so not surprising that only two Mets "regulars" played in 100+ games. One was the HR leader (34) and one was the SS. Guesses?

3. Who hit the Mets first franchise HR?

4. By 1966, four Mets started in 1966 and played in over 100 games. Positions were 1B, 2B, 3B, and CF. Guesses at players?

5. 1969 World Champion Mets featured two primary relief pitchers. Tug McGraw is not one of them as he started a handful of games that year. Name them. 
#1 I remember that Roger Craig was their "ace", and I remember they had Al Jackson (who had been with The Cardinals).  They also had Jay Hook from Cincnnati, but I don't think he started enough  to lose 17 games.
#2 Frank Thomas hit the 34 home runs.  I remember being angry when The Braves (then my favourite team) lost him to The Mets in the expansion draft.  The Mets also had Felix Mantilla who had also played for The Braves.  But Mantilla was a utility infielder who also played 3rd and 2nd, so maybe Elio Chacon played more short than he?  Charlie Neal (ex Dodger) played the most at 2nd (I'm sure he played more than 100 games, and Richie Ashburn in the OF did, too.  So I'm not sure what you mean by saying that only 2 Mets played over 100 games.  Even if you mean games at their primary position , at least 3 players did (Thomas and Ashburn in the OF, and Neal at 2nd, and probably one of Chacon or Mantilla (probably Chacon - as Mantilla split among 3 positions) also made it to 101 at SS.
#3 Gil Hodges?  No idea.
#4 1B was Ed Kranepool 2B Ron Hunt, 3B Ken Boyer?  (I think his last year with The Cards was 1965 they wouldn't have traded him right after a World Championship!)) CF Cleon Jones

#5 1969 was my last year following MLB -and I didn't pay much attention to any teams other than The Braves and Cubs.  Other than Tug McGraw, I only remember one reliever, Kal Koonce.  I would swear that Tug McGraw was their main reliever, EVEN if he did start a few games.

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »

1.Craig lost 24, Al Jackson, 20. Jay Hook lost 19 games. THe 17 game loser was Craig Anderson (who I truly don't recall at all).

2. Elio Chacon did start the most games at SS (110). And, I was thinking by position. Many Mets exceeded 100 games but apparently were used at multiple positions. Guys like Jim Hickman, Rod Kanehl, Joe Christopher, Mantilla, etc. Ashburn, I guess, played CF and RF. Charlie Neal played only 85 games at 2B, but that leaves a bunch of games he must have played elsewhere. Casey really moved these guys around.

3. Hodges is correct.

4. '66 Mets - Kranepool at 1B, Hunt at 2B and Boyer at 3rd are correct. CF was Cleon Jones.

5. The top two relievers in terms of appearances were Ron Taylor and Cal Koonce. With Saves, it would be Taylor, McGraw and Koonce, in that order. So ... my bad in not being specific enough.

bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »

Joe,

Gosh dang. I would have given it a shot. Got maybe up to half right before seeing Robb's answers. But the answers were provided so fast - still waking up here on the left coast. Oh well.....
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »

Sorry, Mike. I'll do another one soon. Any specific team(s), content, timeframe? Open to recommendations from you or anyone else.

One reason I just went ahead and answered what Robb didn't was ... to be honest, it was a crappy quiz all around. The answers were not very interesting (and I'm not sure what anyone could take from them). Furthermore, the quiz was VERY poorly designed by me. Will do better next time. Again, apologies. If I could have taken it down after I posted it, I would have.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 10:35:41 PM »

W/O  looking  at prior answers--

1-Craig,Hook
2-Thomas , Roy

3-Hickman
4-boswell, CharlesHickman
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »

Sorry, Mike. I'll do another one soon. Any specific team(s), content, timeframe? Open to recommendations from you or anyone else.

One reason I just went ahead and answered what Robb didn't was ... to be honest, it was a crappy quiz all around. The answers were not very interesting (and I'm not sure what anyone could take from them). Furthermore, the quiz was VERY poorly designed by me. Will do better next time. Again, apologies. If I could have taken it down after I posted it, I would have.

Joe,

No worries. It's all good fun.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: