DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2019, 06:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
81393 Posts in 7403 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  New and Better Baseball Trivia from 1958
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New and Better Baseball Trivia from 1958  (Read 152 times)
JoeC

« on: November 27, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »

Remember, all of this is from 1958. Clues to follow as needed.

1. Who were the starting pitchers in the inaugural West Coast opener between the Dodgers and Giants at Seals Stadium on 15 April 1958?

2. Who stole home twice in the same game? Against what opponent?

3. Who became the first pitcher to win 20 games for the 9th time?

4. Which non-New York team actually broadcasted 78 games into the New York City TV market (to fill the void from the Giants and Dodgers leaving)?

5. Which league mandated batting helmets for the first time?

6. Game 6 was the crucial (and best) game of the World Series. A clinching game that went to extra innings. Who was the clutch hitting star for the winning team?

7. Three pitchers tied for the AL lead in complete games (19); a Yankee, a Tiger and White Sox hurler. Name them.

8. The Detroit staff threw 59 Complete Games. Who was in that starting rotation (three rightys and a lefty)?
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »

1-erskine,mccormck
2-?
3-Roberts

4-Cards with Jack Buck
5?
6-Weis
7-Turley,Lolich, Shaw
8-McClain Lolich
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »

Remember, all of this is from 1958. Clues to follow as needed.

1. Who were the starting pitchers in the inaugural West Coast opener between the Dodgers and Giants at Seals Stadium on 15 April 1958? NO IDEA!

2. Who stole home twice in the same game? Against what opponent?  ROBERTO CLEMENTE

3. Who became the first pitcher to win 20 games for the 9th time?  WARREN SPAHN

4. Which non-New York team actually broadcasted 78 games into the New York City TV market (to fill the void from the Giants and Dodgers leaving)? PHILLIES?  THEY WERE CLOSEST.  I HAVE NO IDEA OF US EAST COAST HAPPENINGS.

5. Which league mandated batting helmets for the first time? I SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT IT WAS THE NATIONAL LEAGUE - BUT IT'S A 50-50 CHANCE.

6. Game 6 was the crucial (and best) game of the World Series. A clinching game that went to extra innings. Who was the clutch hitting star for the winning team?  IT WAS THE WORST GAME OF THAT SERIES BECAUSE THE HATED YANKEES BEAT MY BRAVES!  MOOSE SKOWREN SINGLED IN THE ULTIMATE WINNING RUN.  AND I HATED HIM FOR IT.

7. Three pitchers tied for the AL lead in complete games (19); a Yankee, a Tiger and White Sox hurler. Name them. DON'T KNOW, I'LL GO WITH EACH TEAMS' ACE - WHITEY FORD, FRANK LARY, BILLY PIERCE

8. The Detroit staff threw 59 Complete Games. Who was in that starting rotation (three rightys and a lefty)? FRANK LARY, JIM BUNNING, AND PAUL FOYTACK, - CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OTHERS RIGHT NOW

YOU SHOULDN'T GIVE CLUES SO EARLY.  PLEASE WAIT TO SEE IF WE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FIRST.

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »

Correct answers so far:

3. Spahn is correct
4. Phillies, yes
6. Skowron is right but anyone know who the other 10th inning Yankee hero at the plate was?
7. Lary and Pierce - named by Robb - are two of the CG leaders. Doc got the third -- Turley. Turley had a monster year in '58
8. Lary, Foytack and Bunning are right. Still looking for the lefty.

bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »

1. Sad Sam Jones for the Giants? Newcombe for the Dodgers?
3. I correctly guessed Spahn as well before looking.
5. Well if the NL is not correct, my genius self figures it must be the AL. Genius!
7. Got Turley - Cy Young in '58 I believe - soemthing like 21-7 W-L. And Lary. Incorrectly guessed Early Wynn for Chisox.
8. Also got Lary, Bunning and Foytack. Other one - wild guesses-  Narleski? Trucks?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »

Now I remember!  The guy who stole home twice in a game was Jackie Robinson.  But that was during the 1940s, NOT 1958!  I also remember Enos Slaughter doing it.  But that was also LONG before 1958.  Maybe Maury Wills did it.  But he didn't play for The Dodgers until 1959.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:41:37 AM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 12:54:04 AM »

Joe--many Dodger/giant  games  from Stl  & Pitts were also TV'd  into ny. Phillies saidit hurt attendance to do it.  May have been 1959
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »

1 and 2 remain unanswered.

6. Anyone give me another late inning NYY Game 6 batting hero (other than Robb's correct Skowron answer)?

8. Still looking for the Tiger lefty in that '58 rotation with all those Complete Games

Anyone ready for clues?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:13:56 PM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »

Joe--many Dodger/giant  games  from Stl  & Pitts were also TV'd  into ny. Phillies saidit hurt attendance to do it.  May have been 1959
Interesting, Doc. Do you recall what channel? Had to be WOR-9 right? I didn't remember any of that!
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »

Ready for clues....
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »

6. Anyone give me another late inning NYY Game 6 batting hero (other than Robb's correct Skowron answer)?

8. Still looking for the Tiger lefty in that '58 rotation with all those Complete Games

Anyone ready for clues?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 04:45:43 PM »

Anyone ready for clues?
Do you mean Gil McDougald hitting the home run with no one on?

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »

Robb, McDougald is correct. Turned out NOT to be the winning run, as you know.

Clues:

1. Giants starter was the first native of Puerto Rico to ever pitch in a World Series game. Dodgers starter was a future Cy Young Award winner and high school classmate of Robert Redford.

2. These two steals of home were the ONLY steals the player had all year. He was a flashy first baseman and fine hitter. Of Latin descent.

8. Lefthander on that great 1958 Tigers staff won 20 games in 1956; was a 1955 AllStar. Once struck out 3 batters on 9 pitches against the White Sox.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 05:07:48 PM »

Robb, McDougald is correct. Turned out NOT to be the winning run, as you know.

Clues:

1. Giants starter was the first native of Puerto Rico to ever pitch in a World Series game. Dodgers starter was a future Cy Young Award winner and high school classmate of Robert Redford.

2. These two steals of home were the ONLY steals the player had all year. He was a flashy first baseman and fine hitter. Of Latin descent.

8. Lefthander on that great 1958 Tigers staff won 20 games in 1956; was a 1955 AllStar. Once struck out 3 batters on 9 pitches against the White Sox.

1.  Juan Marichal and Don Drysdale?

2. Orlando Cepeda?

8. Billy Hoeft?

JoeC

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

1. Drysdale is correct. Marichal is not (he didn't come up to the Giants until 1960).

2. Nope, not Cepeda

8. Billy Hoeft is correct

So, two players left -- the SF Giants starter in that historic West Coast opener, and our home plate stealer (2x in the one game). 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

1. Drysdale is correct. Marichal is not (he didn't come up to the Giants until 1960).

2. Nope, not Cepeda

8. Billy Hoeft is correct

So, two players left -- the SF Giants starter in that historic West Coast opener, and our home plate stealer (2x in the one game). 

1. Johnny Antonelli?   I'd have picked him over Ruben Gomez.

2. Vic Power!!!  How could I forget?

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »

1. Gomez was the SF Giant starter. He pitched a 6 hit, complete game shutout in the Giants 8-0 win. I remember listening to that game (as I bet many NY area fans did). Sort of a sad but ineveitable day, looking back.

2. Vic Power is indeed the guy. He wasn't a big 1B, as first basemen go. Under 6 feet. Guess he could run a bit. Btw, "Power" was an alias. His real surname was Pellot. Both steals of home were very late in the game against the Tigers -- first off Bill Fischer, the second off Frank Lary. Charlie Lau was the catcher.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »

1. Gomez was the SF Giant starter. He pitched a 6 hit, complete game shutout in the Giants 8-0 win. I remember listening to that game (as I bet many NY area fans did). Sort of a sad but ineveitable day, looking back.

2. Vic Power is indeed the guy. He wasn't a big 1B, as first basemen go. Under 6 feet. Guess he could run a bit. Btw, "Power" was an alias. His real surname was Pellot. Both steals of home were very late in the game against the Tigers -- first off Bill Fischer, the second off Frank Lary. Charlie Lau was the catcher.

Yes, I remember that the "interesting tidbit about the player" text blurb said "Vic once stole home twice in one game!", and had a picture of a Black runner sliding safely into home.  I think it was the Topps 1959 records card (1960 season release). I had always seen it spelled "Pellet".  I wondered why he had such a strange middle name. Cheesy

bklynmike101

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »

I guessed both Gomez and Power a few clues ago. Gomez came back out of nowhere as a relief pitcher with the Twins at the age of 40+ or so. Power was known for the then sacrilegious habit of catching throws one-handed! 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: