DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2020, 08:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
81660 Posts in 7478 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Former City Landmarks You Recall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Former City Landmarks You Recall  (Read 763 times)
JoeC

« on: January 02, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »

Pick your city. Criteria is the place no longer exists. And, you have memories to share.

My first venue is the old Hollywood Ranch Market on Vine Street, near Fountain, in Hollywood. Went there circa 1961. First time I ever saw marijuana smoked openly. Of course, I didn't know what the hell I was smelling and had to ask. The place, which attracted movies stars and bums, had a clock outside it that continually ran backwards-- at a high speed. On my one visit, saw Steve Allen eating in the snack bar. A bizarre place. Looked for jukebox 45s at a stall there.

Second mention is the Hotel Albert off University Place in Greenwich Village, NYC. Had a very memorable mini-Eiffel Tower just outside the restaurant back in the day. Ate there with my parents often in the late 1950s. Think it's co-op apartments now. My parents would never have gone there if they had known it was a main meeting place for NYC-based Communist cells in the 40s and early 50s.

Gino

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »

How about the original Times Square Records location on the first landing of the subway steps on the west side of the Times Tower?  More memories than I can count.

"Grease for Peace!!"
Gino
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »

How about the original Times Square Records location on the first landing of the subway steps on the west side of the Times Tower?  More memories than I can count.
Ain't that the truth, Gino. Only location of Times I was ever in, which I think I'm glad was case!
bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:36:01 PM »

What initially comes to mind for me are various defunct amusement  parks in and around the NYC metro area - Steeplechase in Coney Island (Brooklyn), the "brand new" Freedomland in the Bronx, Palisades Amusement Park in NJ ("Swings all day and after dark"), and Playland on beach 98th Street in Rockaway (Queens). All gone now. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:01:13 AM »

What initially comes to mind for me are various defunct amusement  parks in and around the NYC metro area - Steeplechase in Coney Island (Brooklyn), the "brand new" Freedomland in the Bronx, Palisades Amusement Park in NJ ("Swings all day and after dark"), and Playland on beach 98th Street in Rockaway (Queens). All gone now. 

I think of Chicago missing Riverview Park(1904-1967), which had the Bobs (fastest roller coaster in North America (The World?).  And The Winnipeg Arena (home of The Winnipeg Warriors(WHL), Winnipeg Rangers (MJHL) (my own team), Winnipeg Monarchs(MJHL, WJHL), Winnipeg Jets (WHA, NHL)-1955-2004

doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:00:31 PM »

Nedicks  in 50th st  MSG.   Also that MSG. Ebbets,Polo  grounds.

Grants-42nd st--6 clams for 90 cents.

Whiskey a GoGO, Pat Collins-"Hip  hypnotist."  SM  boulevard     

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »

Lion Country Safari ,   Marine  land--where Sea Hunt was shot.  Jones Beach Field 9--destroyed  by  hurrricane Sandy?

Anbassador Hotel,  Tower records on Sunset.

JoeC

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »

I lived in Rockland County, NY (17 miles from Times Square) from 1954-57. One of my biggest regrets was I didn't bug my dad harder to take me to Ebbets Field. We went often to the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium but never got to Brooklyn. I'm sure I would have loved the old park from everything I read.

From Nadines's book: Slim apparently loved the hotdogs from that Grants.

A friend took me to Spago back in the 80s. Back then, the restaurant was on Sunset, at the corner with Horn. Wasn't Tower Records on that same corner?

bklynmike101

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »

Lion Country Safari ,   Marine  land--where Sea Hunt was shot.  Jones Beach Field 9--destroyed  by  hurrricane Sandy?

Anbassador Hotel,  Tower records on Sunset.

I remember Marineland. It's now the site of Terranea, a world-class class resort with some extremely high-end and pricey restaurants but also some beautiful public access trails.
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »

I've been to that Nedicks on 50th as well....also the one in downtown Bklyn on Nevins Street. As for the old MSG on 50th, I've got one seat slat from it obtained after witnessing the last NY Rangers game ever played there. I also recall - not so fondly - the fire escape used to exit the building after the games.
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »

Joe--Tower  was on noth side Sunset--on the curve going into West Hollywood.Not sure where  Spagos was.

Every where --the  circus.
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:05:20 AM »

Joe--Tower  was on noth side Sunset--on the curve going into West Hollywood.Not sure where  Spagos was.

Every where --the  circus.
Yeah, Tower was on the northwest corner of Sunset and Horn. Spago was on the northeast corner, iirc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: