DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2020, 02:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
81770 Posts in 7516 Topics by 64 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Johnny Antonelli - RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Antonelli - RIP  (Read 568 times)
bklynmike101

« on: March 01, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »

Sad to report that Johnny Antonelli, whom I first discovered via his 1960 Topps card with a light yellow base coming off his fine 1959 season with the Giants, passed away yesterday in his native Rochester, NY, just shy of his 90th birthday. A 6-time all-star, Antonelli spent his whole life in Rochester, which made him a little more interesting to me as that's where I did my grad school work. After baseball, he successfully ran a small chain of Firestone dealerships for many years.   
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »

Mike, I remember him well with the NY Giants. A classy lefthander who threw hard.

He was traded by the Braves to the Giants before the 1954 World Championship season. The Braves apparently thought they had an imbalance on their staff with  too many lefties. It came down to dealing either Chet Nichols or Johnny and management asked Warren Spahn's opinion. He preferred Nichols and bye bye Antonelli. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »

Mike, I remember him well with the NY Giants. A classy lefthander who threw hard.

He was traded by the Braves to the Giants before the 1954 World Championship season. The Braves apparently thought they had an imbalance on their staff with  too many lefties. It came down to dealing either Chet Nichols or Johnny and management asked Warren Spahn's opinion. He preferred Nichols and bye bye Antonelli. 

The Braves got Bobby Thomson in that Trade.  Imagine if they'd have had kept Antonelli, along with Spahn, Burdette, and Buhl???

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »

The Braves got Bobby Thomson in that Trade.  Imagine if they'd have had kept Antonelli, along with Spahn, Burdette, and Buhl???
Yes, what a staff that would've been! I remember how upset NY fans were that Thomson was being traded. They thought they'd got the short end on that deal (which they really did not)! Braves also included Don Liddle in that trade as well and Don won 9 games in 1954 and 10 the next year.

Chet Nichols, Spahn's favorite, never had the control a major league pitcher needs. Always walked way too many hitters.  Somehow he had a pretty long career with multiple teams. Guess they always thought the potential would be realized.
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:31:32 AM »

Chet Nichols was one of those guys who I discovered only after his rebound back to MLB with the Red Sox in the early 60's when he had a couple of successful seasons coming out of the bullpen. Only after getting his baseball card did I see that he had previously been an MLB "regular". In-between, he was out of the bigs for some 3-4 years. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: