DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 09:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
83414 Posts in 7952 Topics by 61 Members
Latest Member: Harmony1
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Baseball Trivia - 1965
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baseball Trivia - 1965  (Read 730 times)
JoeC

« on: June 13, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »

Again, all these questions relate to 1965!

1. AL pitcher who hit the first inside-the-park grand slam HR by a pitcher since 1910. Hit it against Red Sox P Bill Monbouquette, to deep Left CF in Yankee Stadium.

2. Infielder who played all 9 positions in a game against the Angels.

3. Who hit the first "indoor" HR in the Houston Astrodome?

4. Pitcher who became the first two time Cy Young winner.

5. Cincinnati Red who led the NL in RBI.

6. Phillies OF who led the NL in triples.

7. Reds pitcher who threw an extra-inning no-hitter against the Cubs. Leo Cardenas won the game for him with a HR.

8. AL HR champ in '65 who was, to date, the youngest in history.

9. Mahwah, NJ native who broke into the Orioles starting OF at 21 yrs old, hitting 22 HR. Hit 20+ HRs his first three yrs with the O's. Poor defensively. Ended his career with the NYY.

10. Name the four White Sox starters with double-figure wins for the season.

11. Name the three Phillies who hit 20 or more HRs.  

12. What great future HoF pitcher went 4-12 for the Mets in '65 before being traded.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:07:38 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:53 PM »

Too recent for me! 
I'd be lucky to name 3 players on The Phillies.  I do know that Richie Allen hit more than 20.  I can't even remember one of their pitchers or the names of 2 other position players, who could have hit even 1 home run.  I can remember The Braves' lineup pretty well.  Not much more about baseball.  1964 was the last season I followed diligently. 

4.  Sandy Koufax?

I lived in Chicago, and was a Sox and Cubs fan, and can hardly remember a handful of players on both teams.  Amazing how much long-term memory I've lost.  I have almost no short term memory anymore.  And now, I'm losing big chunks of my long term memory.   Embarrassed  Billy Pierce, Early Wynn, Dick Donovan were all gone.  Maybe they had Bob Shaw.  I just can't remember.  Just a blank.  I'll have to stick to mainly the '40s and '50s.  I still remember more from the line-ups of ALL major league teams from the 1890s through the 1930s than I do the 1960s.  Amazingly insane.  The late '40s and '50s, I remember best.  And a little from '61-'64.  After that up to now, I remember very little.  It's like two different lives of 2 different people.  1965 is when I started university, and then I was too busy trying to earn a living to pay attention to anything, until I semi-retired last year.  Now I have time to pay attention to things, but I'm senile.  Embarrassed

bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 11:45:43 PM »

Tough questions.

1. Mel Stottlemyre (wild guess)
2. Bert Campaneris?
3. Jimmy Wynn (wild guess)
4. Sandy Koufax?
5. Frank Robinson?
7. Jim Maloney?
8. Tony Oliva? nah....
10. Gary Peters-Joel Horlen
11. Johnny Callison-Wes Covington-Richie Allen?
12. Warren Spahn?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 11:54:04 PM »

Maybe Mike Schmidt had already started by 1965?  I can't remember.  But, he started after I stopped following the sport much at all.  I don't remember him as a player.  I'll still guess him as one of the over 20s.  I know Dell Ennis was gone by then (traded off to The Cards), as were Wally Post, and Andy Seminic.  I don't think I saw The Phillies play after their choke season of 1964.  But I only remember Richie Allen being a rookie for them in '64.  I can't remember even one other player.  Not even one pitcher.  Maybe Bunning was still with them then?

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »

Robb,

you  got # 4. Sandy Koufax. Some 1950s/early 60s references in the clues below to maybe keep you interested.

Mike,

You got #1 (Stottlemyre), #2 (Bert Campaneris), #7 Jim Maloney, you got two of pitchers in #10 (Peters and Horlen), in #11 you got two of the Phillies HR hitters (Allen and Callison), and #12 (Spahn).  

Clues:
#3. Bit of a trick question
#5. 1B who came up with the NYY in 1960
#6. Came up to the majors with the White Sox as a highly touted rookie OF in 1958
#8. Hit 32 HR to win the AL HR race; Outfielder; homered in his first AB in the majors
#9. AL ROY in 1965
#10. The other two White Sox starters with 13 or more wins were a 22 yr old lefthander and a 28 yr old righty who came up with the Cubs in 1958 and started for the Phillies in '60 and '61.
#11. Still need the other Phillies HR hitter -- he was their 1B that year
bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »

5. Deron Johnson
9. Curt Blefary?
10. John Buzhardt may have been one of the two?
11. My man Roy Sievers or was he too far gone to hit 20 HRs by then - would have been 39 by end of year I think?
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

5. Deron Johnson
9. Curt Blefary?
11. My man Roy Sievers or was he too far gone to hit 20 HRs by then - would have been 39 by end of year I think?

Mike, you got $5 and #9. And, Buzhardt is correct as well (leaving one left). Sievers is incorrect.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 04:33:56 PM »

5. Deron Johnson
9. Curt Blefary?

You're way too late with Roy Sievers.  He was traded from The White Sox to The Phillies before the 1962 season, and hit over 20 home runs then.  He also played 1st for them in 1963 and hit 19.  He was gone from The Phillies after that, and by the time he returned in 1964, he was mainly a pinch hitter.  He never hit over 20 after '62.

doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »

W/O  looking at any answers

1-Stottlemyre
2-Tovar
3-Mantle
4-Koufax
5-Perez
12 Ryan
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »

Robb,

you  got # 4. Sandy Koufax. Some 1950s/early 60s references in the clues below to maybe keep you interested.

Mike,

You got #1 (Stottlemyre), #2 (Bert Campaneris), #7 Jim Maloney, you got two of pitchers in #10 (Peters and Horlen), in #11 you got two of the Phillies HR hitters (Allen and Callison), and #12 (Spahn).  

Clues:
#3. Bit of a trick question
#5. 1B who came up with the NYY in 1960
#6. Came up to the majors with the White Sox as a highly touted rookie OF in 1958
#8. Hit 32 HR to win the AL HR race; Outfielder; homered in his first AB in the majors
#9. AL ROY in 1965
#10. The other two White Sox starters with 13 or more wins were a 22 yr old lefthander and a 28 yr old righty who came up with the Cubs in 1958 and started for the Phillies in '60 and '61.
#11. Still need the other Phillies HR hitter -- he was their 1B that year

3. The HOF catchers from that period are Bill Dickey, Mickey Cochrane, Ernie "Schnozz" Lombardi, and Rick Ferrell.  I don't remember anyone named Schnozz playing in 1965.  Ernie Banks wasn't named after Lombardi.  It's too obscure a clue, IF the player in question was named Rick or Bill.  Other famous catchers Moe Berg.  Was there an HOF Outfielder nicknamed "Moe" playing in The NL in 1965???   Was Billy Williams actually named after Bill Dickey???  I would find that hard to believe.  Lou Brock named after a famous catcher named Lou........?  Would Afro-American parents name their sons after White players from segregated baseball times?  Maybe it was a Black OF named Josh, after Josh Gibson?  I don't remember any Josh _ being an HOF OF who played during the mid 1960s.  I'll go with Billy Williams, but I know that's got to be wrong.

6.  The only Philly good-hitting regular from that time period, who first came up with The White Sox was Johnny Callison.  So, I'll guess him for the triples leader.  He DID come up in '58.

8.  I can't remember anyone around who hit a lot of HRs in The AL that year.  Mantle was through.  Colovito was on the way out.  It had to be Harmon Killebrew, or Willie Horton.  But, I don't remember Horton leading the league.  If he ever did, it would have had to be after 1965.  I'll guess Killebrew.

10.  I know The White Sox some, because I was still living in Chicago until September.  It was Tommy John.

11.  Could that be the year the Phillies got Dick Stuart, and he hit a boatload of home runs?  They had a swinging gate for 1st Basemen during the early '60s.  I'll guess Stuart.  I can't remember any other HR hitters on that team during that time.  Covington was only a half-time player, and Tony Gonzalez didn't hit a lot of HRs.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:02:01 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 06:59:56 PM »

W/O  looking at any answers

1-Stottlemyre
2-Tovar
3-Mantle
4-Koufax
5-Perez
12 Ryan
Doc, Stottlemyre, Mantle and Koufax were correct! You're the first to get Mantle!
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »

Robb,

#3. So Doc gave the correct answer on the first Astrodome HR, Mantle Mantle (in the first game played at the site, a sold out exhibition). Mickey's namesake was his dad's favorite player, Mickey Cochrane.

#6. Callison is correct. Hit 16 triples in 1965. As a fellow White Sox fan from the 50s (my all time fave player was and is the late Nelson Fox), why did they ever let Callison go? It's not like they ever had much success developing position players.

#10. Tommy John is right. Came up with the Indians but blossomed with the Sox.

#11. Dick Stuart is indeed correct.

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »

So, # 8 is the only unanswered question.

Clues so far:

- Youngest league HR leader ever when he did it in 1965 (32 HRs, a "down year for the long ball I'd say)

- Played alongside his brother in 1969 in the same OF

- Homered in his first AB in the majors

Some new clues:

- A "hometown kid" (born and bred within 15 miles of the stadium he played in)

- Last full year was 1970 although he tried to make comebacks
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »

So, # 8 is the only unanswered question.

Clues so far:

- Youngest league HR leader ever when he did it in 1965 (32 HRs, a "down year for the long ball I'd say)

- Played alongside his brother in 1969 in the same OF

- Homered in his first AB in the majors

Some new clues:

- A "hometown kid" (born and bred within 15 miles of the stadium he played in)

- Last full year was 1970 although he tried to make comebacks
Tony Conigliaro!  His brother was Billy.    I can't believe h led the AL as a rookie, with only 32!  Where was everybody else???

JoeC

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »

Yep, Tony C was the player!

Here's the AL HR Leaders for '65

1. Conigliaro  32

2. Cash  30

3. Horton  29

4. Wagner  28

5. Tresh & Colavito 26

Batting Averages were awful too. Only 3 AL hitters over .300. Oliva won the title at .321, followed by Yaz at .312 and Davalillo at .301.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:29:10 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 01:33:08 AM »

For some reason my post  on Conigliaro & Billy  was not posted -I knew it.A goid friend played against him in LL  playoffs.Of course Tony pitched..

I also added that Jack Hamilton  beaned him  terribly-- Tony died in his mid 40s.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 04:59:50 AM »

Yep, Tony C was the player!

Here's the AL HR Leaders for '65

1. Conigliaro  32

2. Cash  30

3. Horton  29

4. Wagner  28

5. Tresh & Colavito 26

Batting Averages were awful too. Only 3 AL hitters over .300. Oliva won the title at .321, followed by Yaz at .312 and Davalillo at .301.

Hitting got worse in '66.  Yaz won the batting crown at .301.  Bring back 1894, I say!!!

bklynmike101

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »

As for why Chisox allowed Callison to get away: Callison's career trajectory was and remains, quite common. Good tools, came along nicely thru minors, comes up to MLB and disappoints in his trial(s), original team does not know if he'll ever realize his potential (some do and some don't), and either gives up on him (in this case prematurely) or uses him as a trade chip to try to fulfill some other short-term or longer-term need. Et voila!  So the disappointing but still potentially promising prospect moves on to team 2 (or 3), "figures it out" and goes on to have some success as Callison did. Justin Turner/Max Muncy might be considered two recent examples.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

mike-in a different thread I accused  Turner &  Muncy  of taking PEDS. Turner more likely because of age. BTW-- talked to several  pro hockey players--they all used PEDs  and said training staff  always knew when a 'surprise "  test was scheduled.
bklynmike101

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »

DDW,

I recall your post re: Turner and Muncy. Anything is possible though I'd like to believe that they don't. Sometimes I think that to level the playing field, anyone should be allowed to take whatever they want to. But I suppose not. In the "golden era" when all baseball players were drinkin' and brawlin' and playing cards on Pullman trains, perhaps there were a select few who abstained and trained/ate according to the best known health practices of the time, thereby obtaining an advantage over their counterparts. Maybe PEDS should simply be considered as an optional way to improve performance? Of course, that does not take into account the long-term negative health affects, so maybe that line of thinking is all wet.

As a kid, I remember being delighted when I read that both Kubek and Richardson drank "nothing stronger than milkshakes together" while Bauer, Martin, Mantle., Larsen, et al drank their beverage of choice.  Shocked       
JoeC

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »

A la what was depicted in Mad Men, in the1950s, a “problem drinker” was not a man who drank too much but one who couldn’t hold his liquor.

Quote from the Mantle bio "A Season In The Sun." “If you could drink all night, get the girl, get up the next day, and hit a home run, you passed the test,” (Mantle) recalled. “Temptations were everywhere. Fans would buy us drinks [and] girls would hang around to meet us.” Unfortunately, Mickey was better at passing the test than resisting temptations. Not that he tried very hard. He had a code to uphold. “In those days, how well you could hold your liquor was, for many of us, a measure of being a man. At the ballpark, you belted them out. At the bar, you belted them down.” That was the way he played—and the way he lived.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:48:13 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 10:48:26 PM »

mike-- u mentioned a few of the Copa  brawl.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: