DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 10:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
83414 Posts in 7952 Topics by 61 Members
Latest Member: Harmony1
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Morris Levy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morris Levy  (Read 459 times)
doctordoowop

« on: May 25, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »

Reading  5 Families--best ever Mafia book. Levy  gave Chin Gigante an east side condo  for his  mistress and  a 2000 acre farm in NJ. His FBI  file shows loan sharking, extortion and money laundering for the Genovese family.

Among  quid pro quos-Mafia  "influenced"  singers to  sing for Levy & at lower rates.

That was the most details I have read about this Mafia wannabe.  We all  knew he was connected-  more details in this great book. Teenagers group  never had a chance. 

Has any  singer ever mentioned Levy-it took a record dealer to get him?  No danger now-Levy died in 1990.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »

Tommy James, who had multiple major hit records on Roulette in the 1966-69 period, said he was scared of Levy and the mob but they actually got along well enough as long as he was recording hit records. Sounds like maybe Morris was a bit less of a shark by that time and James wasn't totally robbed.  

Here's James talkng about Roulette and Levy (starts about 30 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwPh6nOzXU

Here's Levy himself (skip to about 45 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCdMCWzmMXQ&t=6s

Anyone else beside me think he has a strong resemblance to Al Capone?

Moishe was born into a Sephardic Jewish family in Harlem.

From Wiki:

"In 1996, a court found Levy's estate posthumously liable for $4 million in a case initiated by Herman Santiago and Jimmy Merchant of the Teenagers, authors of the song "Why Do Fools Fall in Love", who sued Levy for unpaid songwriting royalties.  During the trial, the two testified they had received just $1,000 for the 1956 hit, which sold more than 3 million copies. Santiago testified that Levy told him, "Don't come down here anymore or I'll have to kill you or hurt you."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 07:25:00 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »

Levy  worked with the  Genovese  family--run by Gigante--better known as  the Oddfather--for playing crazy.

That family  was  the most violent,  with many members  who just enjoyed murdering.  Levy   knew who tohang with.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »

Levy  worked with the  Genovese  family--run by Gigante--better known as  the Oddfather--for playing crazy.

That family  was  the most violent,  with many members  who just enjoyed murdering.  Levy   knew who tohang with.

That's the first time I've seen film of Levy.  It seems that he took speaking lessons in The Mafia School of Speech.  I thought he would have been a fat, old, shrewd, Jewish businessman, with a thick Brooklyn accent, with an underlying slight Yiddish accent.  He seemed to be a typical not-so-bright-looking thug.  I'd like to see film of George Goldner, and other owners from The East Coast, and The South.  The only record label owners I've seen live(in person) were mainly those from Chicago, Detroit, and L.A.  I have seen film of Ahmet and Neshui Ertegun.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:23:04 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »

How he ended up.

"At his peak, Levy owned several record labels, a vast publishing empire, and a chain of record stores worth $30 million alone. But when the music industry went corporate in the '70s and '80s, Morris Levy found himself the last of a dying breed. The hustlers and hoodlums that he had done business with were being replaced with young, "legitimate" execs. Giving up many of the small independent labels he controlled, Levy eventually sold his largest label, Roulette, as well as his publishing rights for more than $55 million." Died at age 62.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »

Joe--just heard from a Mafia expert that   somehow they had a piece of Michael Jackson.  True?
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »

Joe--just heard from a Mafia expert that   somehow they had a piece of Michael Jackson.  True?
I'd be 100% shocked if that were true. By the time Michael and the Jackson 5 hit it big, Berry Gordy was so well-established financially, he'd have been pretty well insulated from the type of struggling artist/label-situation that the mob preyed on.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 01:01:02 AM »

The guy who played Tuti in Goodfellas--was  mobbed up &  allegedly had  a piece of Michael.  I'll check further
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: