DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 09:08:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
83414 Posts in 7952 Topics by 61 Members
Latest Member: Harmony1
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  SPORTS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPORTS  (Read 124 times)
doctordoowop

« on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »

Guess baseball will  soon end. 1st  Makrins -now Cardinals.  NBA  can prob make it bec of the"bubble"
bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »

Bubble for NHL/NBA should work. Plus they are more or less just finishing up existing seasons with what effectively amounts to a brief [re]-seeding opportunity and normal-ish playoff. MLB and NFL on the other hand have opted for far more open travel/living arrangements and more or less "whole" seasons, albeit short for MLB. It looks like that may not work. I've long felt MLB and NFL should have cancelled 2020 seasons and hoped for a possible re-start in 2021.     
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »

Bubble for NHL/NBA should work. Plus they are more or less just finishing up existing seasons with what effectively amounts to a brief [re]-seeding opportunity and normal-ish playoff. MLB and NFL on the other hand have opted for far more open travel/living arrangements and more or less "whole" seasons, albeit short for MLB. It looks like that may not work. I've long felt MLB and NFL should have cancelled 2020 seasons and hoped for a possible re-start in 2021.     

The NHL should be fine, because, in addition to being inside a protected bubble, their bubbles (Edmonton and Toronto) are both in Canada, which has exponentially less cases and new cases of The Covid Virus.  Central Alberta has almost none at all, and Toronto is much, much cleaner than the absolute best of The US cities.  The Canadian governments and people understood how dangerous The Virus is, and were serious about and determined to protect themselves against it as best they could.  Had I stayed with my sister in my annual visit with her in Winnipeg, instead of moving on to visit with my other sister in January, I'd be a lot better off.  I'd have been able to return to The Netherlands, instead of being stuck in L.A. for probably almost a year.   Embarrassed

I think that MLB and The NFL will lose their seasons.

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

The sheer numbers of players/coaches/support personnel involved with the NFL make that the league with the longest odds. Expect it to be cancelled before starting. The "bubble" approach was never a real option given the high numbers of personnel involved.

I'd still say that MLB has maybe a 25% chance of continuing on. The next week will tell!
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »

Robb,

I try to avoid posting anything even faintly political, but have to agree 100% with you. Somehow whether led by the Conservatives or the Liberals, Canada always manages to govern itself in a reasonable and  rational manner. Here in the states perhaps that can be said to have historically been true as well (although perhaps not). That said, we have clearly bungled our handling of Covid-19, sadly with no end to either the bungling or the pandemic's effects in sight, "the likes of which has never been seen before" . Wink

With nary an exception or two, the remainder of the "developed" world, not to mention many nations in the "developing" world, have handled matters much much better. It's a shame.   
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »

Interesting to me that the politicians who always in the past vehemently called for/supported "States' rights" now wish for national control from the White House, e.g., in terms of being able to order mandatory, national school/business opening.  A total 180 degree flip flop. 

We really are an amalgam of 50 individual states and have learned that a ton of power resides in those states. I guess Canada's provinces do NOT have that kind of say-so? Or am I wrong about that?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »

Interesting to me that the politicians who always in the past vehemently called for/supported "States' rights" now wish for national control from the White House, e.g., in terms of being able to order mandatory, national school/business opening.  A total 180 degree flip flop.  

We really are an amalgam of 50 individual states and have learned that a ton of power resides in those states. I guess Canada's provinces do NOT have that kind of say-so? Or am I wrong about that?

Canada has a federal system, similar to that of USA.  The Provinces have a lot of powers.  But, States in USA have significantly more powers and The Federal Government has significantly less in relation to the mix in Canada, but despite that, it's not a tremendous difference.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:47:01 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 08:29:55 PM »

10th amendment Joe. But the Commerce clause  can be interpreted   very  widely.  There is a famous case where US Sct  exerted control  over a small --40 acre --farmer-. The court used the hypotheticalt that he could have shipped corn across state lines--but he never did .--
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: