DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Joey Gallo--move over Giancarlo.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joey Gallo--move over Giancarlo.  (Read 866 times)
doctordoowop

« on: August 22, 2021, 02:07:35 AM »

This guy strikesout twice a game-and cant hit lefties. He benefitted from the Texas heat  balls fly in Arlington.

PS--I apologize for not saying anything about Joe Morgan.Didnt he recently pass away. IF so RIPJoe.
bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »

Gallo = Shades of Dave Kingman, Dave Nicholson, Adam Dunn, et al. Never would have been tolerated prior to around the 70's/80's. Steve Bilko anyone?
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »

Rite-mike-Kingman  had MLB  really sweating- if he hit 500 HRs he' d have to go into HOF. Think hes 35 or so short.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:24:03 PM »

Gallo = Shades of Dave Kingman, Dave Nicholson, Adam Dunn, et al. Never would have been tolerated prior to around the 70's/80's. Steve Bilko anyone?
Steve Bilko hit .279, and hit a fair amount of doubles and home runs, and he wasn't a terrible fielder for The Cardinals and was in the running for rookie of the year.  Dave Nicholson could NEVER hit Major League pitching, except the few times he hit home runs.  And his ratio of strike outs to walks was probably 4 times as high as Bilko's.  Nicholson would have had trouble trying to be a regular in AA during the 1950s, let alone even sniff spring training with a Major League club.  Kingman was a better hitter, but not one a 1950s manager would want. 

doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 12:09:00 AM »

Robb-Bilko was on  LA Angels--  AAA of Cubs. Then Cubs, Phils?,  Reds?. Never Cards.

My pop used to tell me about Swish Nicholson -for all hisK's.
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »

Steve Bilko hit .279, and hit a fair amount of doubles and home runs, and he wasn't a terrible fielder for The Cardinals and was in the running for rookie of the year.  Dave Nicholson could NEVER hit Major League pitching, except the few times he hit home runs.  And his ratio of strike outs to walks was probably 4 times as high as Bilko's.  Nicholson would have had trouble trying to be a regular in AA during the 1950s, let alone even sniff spring training with a Major League club.  Kingman was a better hitter, but not one a 1950s manager would want. 
Kingman was born too soon. He'd fit right in beautifully today.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »

Robb-Bilko was on  LA Angels--  AAA of Cubs. Then Cubs, Phils?,  Reds?. Never Cards.

My pop used to tell me about Swish Nicholson -for all hisK's.
He started with The Cardinals, and had a full season with them in 1953. He had played parts of 5 seasons with them before being traded to The Cubs in mid-season in 1954.  Born in the 1920s, he started in Baseball during the 1940s.
I had several cards of his as a Cardinal.  I remembered wrongly about his 1953 season.  He only hit .251 rather than .279.  But, he hit .360 as an L.A. Angel, with 55 HRs one year.  Of course, Wrigley Fields walls were fairly close-in.

bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »

Without knowing for sure, my guess would be that Bilko was one of those guys who could hit fastballs but never could handle the big league curve - one of many. I always liked him - baseball card vagabond with flashes of power and success and intermittent minor league stints. Looked up his stats. I did recall him finishing up with the early Angles but had no idea he slugged over .500 with good batting averages in both '61 and '62, never to appear in MLB again. Played in AAA in '63 then thru at age 35. The year after he it .360 with 55 HRs for PCL Angels, he hit 56 HRs bur "slumped" to a batting average of .300, again with PCL Angels. This back-to-back production earned him a return trip to MLB.  Sadly, he did not live to see his 50th birthday.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:06 AM »

mike-Bilko was what Jim Palmer calls 4A  players.

Thanx for correction Robb.
Rite Joe-Kingman would fit rite in today. 

For a lot of laughs-  listen to La's Jim healy radio show on YT. Recording of Paul Olden asking Lasorda, ,after 3 Kingman HRs,"What did u thinkof Kingman's performance"

PS-I guess we r the only 4 guys here.
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »

Bilko's numbers to me were better than I expected when I looked them up. I think he was a bit more than what people call 4A players now. He had trouble hitting certain pitches (off speed and inside fast balls) but if a pitcher made a mistake ... they paid. He was a .250 hitter career-wise with a ton of power. He'd be making a lot of $$$ today for sure with his numbers. The DH was made for him. 

He also had a major "food problem." He couldn't keep his weight under control which had him playing at times 40 pounds over his listed weight (which was already probably too much). That didn't endear him to his managers and GMs.
bklynmike101

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 10:55:21 AM »

Bilko definitely had a weight issue. A detailed "bio" I found expounded on it but had no info as to cause of his premature death. Perhaps weight was an issue there as well. or not. I recall reading about Ed Bouchee having "eaten his way out of the league".

In his later playing years, Smokey Burgess was quite hefty as well - except his hitting seemed to only get better and better - until age finally overcame him as it does to all athletes. 
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 01:19:36 PM »

Bilko definitely had a weight issue. A detailed "bio" I found expounded on it but had no info as to cause of his premature death. Perhaps weight was an issue there as well. or not. I recall reading about Ed Bouchee having "eaten his way out of the league".

In his later playing years, Smokey Burgess was quite hefty as well - except his hitting seemed to only get better and better - until age finally overcame him as it does to all athletes.  
You're right. There were, and still are, MANY players who are way overweight without it affecting their play. Guys like David Ortiz, Pablo Sandoval, CC Sabathia, Cecil and Prince Fielder, Gates Brown, John Kruk, Sid Fernandez, Mo Vaughn, Boog Powell,Mickey Lolich, Fernando Valenzuela, Kirby Puckett, Babe Ruth. A long list of great players.

I'm sure far more drank their way out of the league.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:21:45 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 01:23:52 AM »

Smokey had a great batting eye.  But he needed a permanent pinch runner.  He would have been a designated hitter in today's game.

bklynmike101

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 11:27:05 AM »

I think it's fair to say that Stanton has become torridly hot down the stretch run, resulting in overall numbers for the season that are not too shabby. He is extremely streaky.
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »

Agree mike-hehits mistakes has a lot of trouble with high fastballs &  low sliders. Glad Judge won todays game.

But Joey Gallo is a Kingman replica.
bklynmike101

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 11:46:17 AM »

Agree on Gallo. Stanton is much much better than Gallo - at least as a hitter.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 02:52:37 AM »

Yankees have a lot to do. Rizzo may come back. Gallo has to go. Sanchez?  not much hit or field.

Stanton hasi improved.
Cole- knew he wouldnt do well against Boston. Boone should stay--not Cashman. Cant fire anyone related to Pat & Dani Boone.[I heard allBoonesarerelated.
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »

Yankees have a lot to do. Rizzo may come back. Gallo has to go. Sanchez?  not much hit or field.

Stanton hasi improved.
Cole- knew he wouldnt do well against Boston. Boone should stay--not Cashman. Cant fire anyone related to Pat & Dani Boone.[I heard allBoonesarerelated.
The Nats just fired Bob Boone from their Front Office for refusing to get vaxed. Guess Aaron saw the light.
bklynmike101

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »

Where is grandpa Ray? I don't know if Aaron should be fired or not. But if he's related to Pat, that could be the tie-breaker - and not in a good way.  Roll Eyes
JoeC

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »

Where is grandpa Ray? I don't know if Aaron should be fired or not. But if he's related to Pat, that could be the tie-breaker - and not in a good way.  Roll Eyes
He died about 15 years ago. I saw him play for the Indians and Tigers. SS and 3B. Multi-year All star. IMO, he was the best ballplayer of all the Boone family. Even with Bret's three monster (questionable?) offensive years in Seattle. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 10:42:42 PM »

Bret was a true PED guy. But at ESPN  he was absolutely terrified on camere. hHs career there was very brief. Made me nervousj just watching him.

Another very camera shy guy was Tino Martinez. Just scared but NOT terrified.

Yanks need a new GM ,but its not Boone's fault.  I like Boone-just he utters a loud & long UM UM before answering questions.   Tremendous number of injuries, Too many bad signings-- even Cole not a clutch winner.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »

He died about 15 years ago. I saw him play for the Indians and Tigers. SS and 3B. Multi-year All star. IMO, he was the best ballplayer of all the Boone family. Even with Bret's three monster (questionable?) offensive years in Seattle. 

I also think Ray Boone was the best player of that family.  His reputation was held down because he didn't play in New York, L.A. or Chicago.  Cleveland and Detroit players weren't as well-known around The US as those from the 3 biggest city teams. 

doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 12:49:15 AM »

Robb-agree-he wa best Boone. Cards great too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: