DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 08:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89183 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Rod Gilbert
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Rod Gilbert  (Read 423 times)
JoeC

« on: August 22, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »

No info but appears the great #7 passed away on 22 August. One of the greatest Rangers, if not THE greatest. On that terrific line with Vic Hadfield and Jean Ratelle. A native of Montreal who somehow "got away" from the Canadiens.

Here's a 5 minute Hockey HoF "Profile."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9s8_o-DdDg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:13:35 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »

Sorry to hear this sad news.  So many of the great sports players and singers and artists from my youth are leaving us (just as some of our lifelong friends and family are.  It only reminds us every day to enjoy and appreciate every minute possible that we have left.

doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 12:16:46 AM »

Well said Robb.  RIP Rod. Joe I remember that line being announced by a 25 yr old Marv Albert-along with Bill Chadwick. Albert had a riidiculous career- Bklyn kid-Kinck & Ranger announcer.Later Giants/Jes.Before he went nationa WOW. [But a rather kinky sexl life]  He was out of workjust  a year in the 90s. Now? done forever.

Robb- Bathgate was better than Gilbert,no?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 01:28:59 AM »

Well said Robb.  RIP Rod. Joe I remember that line being announced by a 25 yr old Marv Albert-along with Bill Chadwick. Albert had a riidiculous career- Bklyn kid-Kinck & Ranger announcer.Later Giants/Jes.Before he went nationa WOW. [But a rather kinky sexl life]  He was out of workjust  a year in the 90s. Now? done forever.

Robb- Bathgate was better than Gilbert,no?
I would say so.  But I'm prejudiced.  My parents knew his parents.  He was from our same little town near Winnipeg.  They were different kinds of players with some different skill sets.  But Bathgate was a tough fairly small player, who played in a time when everything was tougher to do.  Gilbert was smooth and very skilled, but he didn't work nearly as hard as Andy did.  And Andy played on a lot of weak teams, whereas The Rangers were mostly good when Rod played.

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:05:26 AM »

I should be biased for Bathgate as well. I left NY for college in 1961 so my Ranger fandom was MUCH more intense over the period 1954-60, when I was 10-16 years old. I personally saw a lot more of Andy than I ever did Rod. I agree that their styles of play were different, as was the talent level of the teams around them.

It was hard to keep up with hockey in Miami in the early 60s, even with all the "snowbirds" (as they were called) from Ontario and Quebec "wintering" there. The local paper (Miami Herald) didn't cover the NHL at all. Mostly college football and horse racing. 

Andy and Rod's career were remarkably similar. Both were RWers, both 180 pounds (Andy at 6 feet was taller than Rod at 5'9). Andy played in 1069 NHL games; Rod in 1065. Andy scored 349 goals, and registered 973 points. Rod scored 406 goals and is the only Ranger with over 1000pts for the club (1021). Andy definitely played a more physical game. Both were the MSG fans' favorites in their eras.

bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 11:56:48 AM »

Having come along a bit later, and having taken to hockey as the last of my big 4 sports, I grew up on Albert on the radio on cold winter nights in our apartment, and on the Ratelle-Gilbert-Nevin line of the mid-60's NY Rangers. it's always sad when another piece of our "hey day" or youth disappears, whether in the music world or sports world. Their passing sure makes us recall our own mortality and some of our deeper reminiscences and feelings. Bathgate was still active though a bit past his prime. As posted elsewhere, the losses of Maryland Pierce and Johnny Keyes, both of whom I've got some later performances on VCR/DVD, also hit home. 
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »

Having come along a bit later, and having taken to hockey as the last of my big 4 sports, I grew up on Albert on the radio on cold winter nights in our apartment, and on the Ratelle-Gilbert-Nevin line of the mid-60's NY Rangers. it's always sad when another piece of our "hey day" or youth disappears, whether in the music world or sports world. Their passing sure makes us recall our own mortality and some of our deeper reminiscences and feelings. Bathgate was still active though a bit past his prime. As posted elsewhere, the losses of Maryland Pierce and Johnny Keyes, both of whom I've got some later performances on VCR/DVD, also hit home.  
Mike, I came to hockey late as well. Our family returned to the States in the Summer of 1954 from Germany (my dad was an Army officer) and settled in the NYC metro area. Lying in bed at 10 yrs old that Fall of '54, I would listen with the lights out to Alan Freed on WINS. As it happened, WINS also had the radio broadcasts of the Rangers games and I got "hooked."

With no internet I had to sort of figure out the various rules of the game by listening to the announcers. Eventually, going to Rangers games at the old MSG on 8th Ave and 49th St advanced my understanding exponentially. The WINS play-by-play guy was someone named Ward Wilson. I don't think he had much hockey background. Later in the 50s, I remember Monty Hall, years before his "Lets Make A Deal" fame on TV, was the color analyst. Monty was at least a Canadian.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:39:07 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »

Mike, I came to hockey late as well. Our family returned to the States in the Summer of 1954 from Germany (my dad was an Army officer) and settled in the NYC metro area. Lying in bed at 10 yrs old that Fall of '54, I would listen with the lights out to Alan Freed on WINS. As it happened, WINS also had the radio broadcasts of the Rangers games and I got "hooked."

With no internet I had to sort of figure out the various rules of the game by listening to the announcers. Eventually, going to Rangers games at the old MSG on 8th Ave and 49th St advanced my understanding exponentially. The WINS play-by-play guy was someone named Ward Wilson. I don't think he had much hockey background. Later in the 50s, I remember Monty Hall, years before his "Lets Make A Deal" fame on TV, was the color analyst. Monty was at least a Canadian.  

And he was a Winnipegger, too.  And an avid hockey fan.  And a big fan of The Winnipeg Rangers Jr. team.  So, he knew a lot about the Rangers' upcoming prospects, at least before he moved to New York.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:01:58 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »

Joe - Love those stories of your youth - just a few moments before mine. I remember Win Elliot doing the Rangers on TV, cheeky Schaeffer beer commercials, and climbing down the fire escape after games from my seat in the rafters at "Ye Old Garden". To this day, I retain one seat slat broken off from my seat after the last game played there - vs. Gordie Howe and the boys from Detroit.  My dad served in '43-'44 (domestically only, fortunately).     
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 01:06:07 AM »

Nice memories guys. Agree Bathgate was tougher the Rod & his teams were much worse.  Joe --who was announcing Ranger games then? Jim Gordon?

RIP- we had Johnny Keyes of Magnificents perform in Cai. Very glad tosee Maryland Pierce doa great live Ling Ting Tong on Sullivan--1955 or so.
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »

Nice memories guys. Agree Bathgate was tougher the Rod & his teams were much worse.  Joe --who was announcing Ranger games then? Jim Gordon?

RIP- we had Johnny Keyes of Magnificents perform in Cai. Very glad tosee Maryland Pierce doa great live Ling Ting Tong on Sullivan--1955 or so.
Only names I could come up with Doc were the ones I listed -- Ward Wilson and Monty Hall on the radio. I remember Jim Gordon as a sportscaster on local TV . I suspect the Rangers did a very limited slate of TV broadcasts in the late 1950s and maybe Gordon did those? I have no memory of them because my Dad controlled the TV and a hockey game would have been his last priority. There was a Saturday afternoon national hockey game on CBS. I did see some of those. Bud Palmer at the mic. They only lasted a year or two.

bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »

I'm fortunate to have DVD/VCR tapes of various "later" performances from both Johnny Keyes and Maryland Pierce with their respective then-current Magnificents/Five Keys groups. Pierce's My Saddest Hour is one of my favorites of all time.

I've never seen The Magnificents in person, although I do possess an autographed copy of Keyes autobiography. I did a Five Keys group in the 70's, but have no way to know which members were participants, hopefully both Rudy and Maryland but perhaps not terribly likely.

The ~90's Magnificents with Keyes, Reggie Gordon, and Rufus Hunter (plus one other member), all of whom recorded as the late 50's Magnificents, were terrific.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 02:36:30 AM »

Gordon filled in as a Hal Miller Ray in a 1958 or so Sullivan show.

I asked Johnny about the great"Dont Leave Me." Although listed on CDs as by the Magnificents-Keyes  said his group had zero to do with the record-another group just used his groups name.
bklynmike101

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »

Ozetta darlin' oh what you do to me  Grin
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »

Ozetta darlin' oh what you do to me  Grin

I've only ever seen it written "Ozeta" on the original or reprint, or oldies 45s.  So, it should have been pronounced "O-ZEE-TAH"!  But the real name is Ozetta, so I suspect that VJ just got the spelling wrong in the first place.  There was an old, mean teacher at my high school named Ozetta Brassfield.  Her demeanor fit her name!  She was a tough old bird from the old school, who didn't take any guff from ANYONE, let alone ill-behaved, wise-cracking kids.  When we were young, many of the young teachers (especially the women and 4F men, were still in war industry jobs, even through 1946 and into '47.  So, we had all these staunch, by-the-book, no nonsense, fundamentalist, narrow-minded, old goats and goatesses, who were way too long away from their own childhoods to remember what it was like to be a kid. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:35:31 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 01:02:28 PM »

Robb,

My 2nd grade teacher was an old (well-meaning) battle axe of the extreme no-nonsense variety. We spent a lot of time taking turns reading out loud to the class. Teacher had a bell which she would ring when she decided it was time for one kid to stop and the next one to start. Woe betide the kid that didn't stop his recital on the dime. Much screaming. Fortunately, I had pretty good brakes.   Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: