DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2022, 03:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
90039 Posts in 9946 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Manhattan Eruv
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manhattan Eruv  (Read 6256 times)
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »

http://mentalfloss.com/article/91594/theres-wire-above-manhattan-youve-probably-never-noticed

design

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »

I see them all over Manhattan.

DESIGN

I'm turning the camera….which way, I'm turning it. Let this guy try.
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »

it seems that most major cities have them .. and some smaller towns too .. of varying sizes .

Shandy
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:38:13 AM »

I always thought Jews were very clever at breaking their own rules, but this sounds unbelievable.  Did the city do it or did the Jewish community?  I never look up Smiley
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »

Shandy,  it's complicated ... the eruv is required to be erected by the local municipal authority, so the city did it .. with funding from the Jewish community.   Rabbis inspect it every Thursday and ensure it's continuous and complete.    There are webpages and phone numbers to check whether is is a valid eruv before sundown Friday evening.     

Evidently,  this is common in Israel, many cities around the US, and in other parts of the world which  have them also, ranging from the large one in Manhattan to some that span only the grounds of a school, synagogue,  or a city block.

Out of curiousity,  I read up on what is, and isn't allowed on the Sabbath.   There is even a rule against opening an umbrella, because it's similar to raising a tent, which is considered to be in the "construction" category!    Jews outside a eruv on the Sabbath aren't allowed to carry anything, not even medicine!  And the rules go on and on ...

bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

The (our) rules are absurd. And have developed and evolved over the centuries as a result of various and numerous often conflicting interpretations of the "original" texts (themselves the products of many contributors and writers). In any event, as a young lad I was "thrilled" and "happy" to hear stories of the "clever" Israeli's having stung up such a closed containment area in Israel to enable "legal" carrying of otherwise forbidden objects on the sabbath. But I had no idea the same thing had been done in Manhattan and elsewhere (what....how come not in Brooklyn...you think Brooklyn is chopped liver maybe?).

As to "bending" the rules to fit the circumstances, for sure:

From personal experience at a (typically) quasi-Kosher Jewish wedding--

"What are you eating? I don't know. It's good.
Maybe they're not kosher? Sure they're kosher, it's good.
But maybe it's shrimp; it looks like shrimp inside.
No, they'er just puffs 
Puffs? Oh, that must be OK then. Let me try some"
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »

I'm not a fan of organized religion but, if I were, I think I'd opt for the Jewish religion. I usually go for the "original" version -- music, literature, movies, whatever, and the Jewish religion preceded what came after. Plus, so many rich traditions. Also got to hang out with Jewish frat boys and Jewish girls at the Univ of Miami (which, back in the 60s, was probably majority Jewish in its student population). Lotta Jaguar XKE's.

Raised a Catholic (altar boy and all), I dropped that as soon as I could, like around 13. My mom would drop me off in front of the church; I'd head for the candy store across the street.
Shandy
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

Jack/Mike - Thanks for the info.  It still sounds somewhat ridiculous to me, but if it makes the Jews happy it's a good thing.

Joe - I'd be Buddhist.  I did the Catholic thing also, stopped believing when I was 7, but went through the motions because of school until I was 16.
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »

Jack/Mike - Thanks for the info.  It still sounds somewhat ridiculous to me, but if it makes the Jews happy it's a good thing.

Joe - I'd be Buddhist.  I did the Catholic thing also, stopped believing when I was 7, but went through the motions because of school until I was 16.

I'd heard you mention your Catholic school upbringing before, Shandy. I only went to Grades 1-3 in a Catholic school. St. John's in Tuscaloosa, AL. (My dad, an Army officer was a ROTC instructor at the U of Alabama.) You might think, being a religious school run by the local archdiocese with no lay teachers (all nuns), that this school might have been integrated? No way, they barred "colored" folk with the same vengeance the public schools did. Very Christian of them.

Being so young, that was lost on me then. When I was older, though, I asked my Catechism teacher in Nyack if what he was teaching us was really true, i.e., that no matter how saintly a life, say, one of your non-Catholic relatives might have led, the best they could hope for, after dying, was Purgatory. When he affirmed that was indeed the way it was, that finished it for me!

Shandy
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 01:44:17 AM »

JoeC - Remember, you're talking ALABAMA.  While not as bad as Mississippi (hell couldn't be worse), it was a contender.  I was about six when I asked "If Jews believe theirs is the true religion, and follow it to the best of their ability, won't the go to heaven, too?"  I was told they would but wouldn't have as high a place as "us".  That did it for me.  I didn't know the term Orwellian back then, but I'd have used it if I did.
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »

JoeC - Remember, you're talking ALABAMA.  While not as bad as Mississippi (hell couldn't be worse), it was a contender.  I was about six when I asked "If Jews believe theirs is the true religion, and follow it to the best of their ability, won't the go to heaven, too?"  I was told they would but wouldn't have as high a place as "us".  That did it for me.  I didn't know the term Orwellian back then, but I'd have used it if I did.

I understand Alabama in 1949-51 as well as any 6-8 year old could -- seating on the city bus that I took to the school, the drinking fountains, movie seating, all that. It's just that, looking back, I expected MORE from a religion.

I mean, how did the Bishop, priests and nuns sleep at night upholding that system? Effectively, you could say they were condoning murder, taking their acquiescence to the worst extreme (lynching, which I wonder if they even spoke out against). I guess it was sorta akin to Pope Pius in WWII looking at Hitler and what he was doing with a blind eye. Maybe they "complained" in private.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: