DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 11:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Car Trivia Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car Trivia Question  (Read 11507 times)
43doowop

« on: April 07, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »

What major U.S.  auto maker made its last car in 1958.?
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

Packard.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »

What US car make was manufactured in Canada, long after ceasing operations in USA?

43doowop

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »

Packard is correct. Loved the Packard Caribbean Convertible.
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:53:10 AM »

Studebaker?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

Studebaker?

Yes, correct!  They moved operations to Canada in 1964.

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »

Just a process  of elimination--I  swear I didn't  cheat!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »

Just a process  of elimination--I  swear I didn't  cheat!

I believe you.  No other US maker moved to Canada. 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »

What were the different auto manufacturers that came together to form American Motors?

bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »

Nash, Rambler & Hudson (I don't think Willys was in the mix?)
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »

Studebaker?

Remember the Studebaker Golden Hawk? Check It Out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOjFz_z0iU
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »

Nash, Rambler & Hudson (I don't think Willys was in the mix?)

Correct!

doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

Which  one did GEORGE  Romney  own?  Nash?
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »

Which  one did GEORGE  Romney  own?  Nash?

Thought it was American Motors. Did he own it, or was he just the CEO? Either way, am sure he didn't drive a Gremlin.

doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »

Prob rite--tried to be  prez  but born in Mexico.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »

Prob rite--tried to be  prez  but born in Mexico.

I thought Romney ran in The Republican presidential primary.  How could he do that, if he had been born in Mexico?  Why would The Republicans waste money on running an ineligible candidate in a primary?  To assure that their favourite would win, and guarantee he'd be able to run in the national election?  No one knew until during the vote-counting or after, that he had been born in Mexico?  Isn't a person born of at least one US citizen parent considered born a US citizen, and, thus, eligible to become US President?  One shouldn't be punished for being born on holiday, or during their parents' university professorship's overseas visits or work periods.  I always thought that the rule was that "naturalised citizens could not become US President".  As long as one of my parents were Canadian, I could have run for Prime Minister of Canada, as long as I had chosen Canadian citizenship at 21 years of age.  Now, I believe it is 18 years of age.

I looked it up and found out that in 2009 they CHANGED that law, and children of Canadian citizens who are born outside Canada, and of parents who are NOT working for The Canadian Government, are no longer automatically Canadian citizens.  I don't like that, but it doesn't affect me or any of my close family.  But, I will tell my sister's kids not to visit me when the wife is in late pregnancy!  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:59:05 AM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 10:40:22 PM »

My understanding was that Romney was born of US citizen parents on a Mormon mission to Mexico. As such, he was eligible to be President. Natural born means not a naturalized citizen.

Ted Cruz, a candidate in 2016, was born in Calgary, Alberta. Mother was natural born US citizen, think his father was naturalized US citizen born in Cuba. Again, guess that made Cruz eligible to run.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 03:01:44 AM »

My understanding was that Romney was born of US citizen parents on a Mormon mission to Mexico. As such, he was eligible to be President. Natural born means not a naturalized citizen.

Ted Cruz, a candidate in 2016, was born in Calgary, Alberta. Mother was natural born US citizen, think his father was naturalized US citizen born in Cuba. Again, guess that made Cruz eligible to run.

Amazingly, that same situation is no longer true for children of Canadian parents, despite the fact that Canada takes in more refugees on a per capita basis of their overall population.  They are telling their citizens to not have children while working overseas!  Shocked

JoeC

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »

Amazingly, that same situation is no longer true for children of Canadian parents, despite the fact that Canada takes in more refugees on a per capita basis of their overall population.  They are telling their citizens to not have children while working overseas!  Shocked

That's a shame.

Would Cruz, by virtue of his birth in Calgary, had Canadian citizenship too?  In other words, would he have been a Canadian "anchor baby?"
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »

That's a shame.

Would Cruz, by virtue of his birth in Calgary, had Canadian citizenship too?  In other words, would he have been a Canadian "anchor baby?"
From The Canadian point of view, he could have become a Canadian citizen, IF, on his birthday at the age of majority in Canada at that time, he would have been on Canadian soil, and had chosen to become Canadian (I don't know when he was born, but I think the age of Majority in Canada changed from 21 to 18 during The 1980s?).  It was 21 when I became 18 and still was when I reached 21.  At that time, if he had done so, he would have had lost his claim to US citizenship.  Later, in 1987, US and Canadian citizens were first allowed to be dual citizens.  So, he could have reclaimed his US citizenship, then.

doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »

Well he  was born in Mexico--but as i recall--too  young to  vote--,,Barry  and Rockefeller  brought  it up tho.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »

Well he  was born in Mexico--but as i recall--too  young to  vote--,,Barry  and Rockefeller  brought  it up tho.

Barry Guldwasser?  Mus' bee one o' them Jewwwws!   Grin

"Cruz", a Spanish surname, and born in Mexico?  Sounds like a furriner to me!   Grin

doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »

Barry-half  breed  i believe.

Cruz--Cubano, no?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »

Barry-half  breed  i believe.

Cruz--Cubano, no?
Yes, I believe Cruz's family came from Cuba.  But, apparently, he was born in Mexico.

doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »

hiding  out in Mex  wit fidel  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: