DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 08:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Tough Movie Trivia Question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tough Movie Trivia Question  (Read 32530 times)
JoeC

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »

Joe--yes wouldn't  miss it.  How the hell could Crawford  been broke  with  Pepsi  $$.

She married Steele in '55, spent years after his death paying off his debts. Guess he didn't get paid like CEOs do today! See below.

From a site called Quora:

"After Alfred Steele's unexpected death from a heart attack in 1959, Crawford was left broke and deeply in debt. Steele had borrowed heavily against his Pepsi stock, his future earnings, AND his Pepsi pension to finance the construction of their Fifth Avenue apartment and their extravagant globe-hopping lifestyle.

But, she still had some Pepsi stock of her own that had been given to her over the years by Pepsi as compensation for her work on behalf of Pepsi, and she still had the value of her image and endorsement, so she was elected by Pepsico's board of directors to take over Steele's seat on the board."

Another interesting thing about Crawford was that she "photographed big" on screen. Meaning, her mouth, lips, eyes, everything looked "oversized" on screen for a woman who was 5'3 at most.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:18:26 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »

Joe--yes wouldn't  miss it.  How the hell could Crawford  been broke  with  Pepsi  $$.
Trivia--relationship between   Feud  and  Perry  Mason.
She made that "Glamour" film when she was very young, before any big film parts.  She must have done any work for Pepsi well after that, I would guess.

JoeC

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »

Robb, think she only started doing Pepsi "work" after she married its Chairman in 1955, when she was over 50. She died at an estimated (disputed) age of 73.
doctordoowop

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »

What was  Gordon's  biggest TV role?
doctordoowop

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »

Joe--interesting how  Davis calls  Joan by her real name.
JoeC

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »

Noticed that. Lucille!

Read that Bette smoked 100 cigarettes a day, from a young age until her death.
Shandy
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »

I'm a degenerate smoker (1 1/2 packs), and it would be almost impossible to smoke 5 packs a day.  I mean, you'd have to make an effort and not do much else.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »

I'm a degenerate smoker (1 1/2 packs), and it would be almost impossible to smoke 5 packs a day.  I mean, you'd have to make an effort and not do much else.
When I was young, both my mother and father each smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day.  The house had clouds of smoke in it.  They didn't appreciate my opening the windows in the middle of winter, when it was minus 40 outside!  Cheesy  But, I was the one who had to go shovel more coal into the furnace.  I never smoked a cigarette in my life, but it's a wonder that I didn't get emphasema by age 12.  I guess I became a good hockey player because of wanting to be outside all the time, playing hockey on ponds, and later, on our backyard rink.  Their smoking drove me to become an outdoorsman.  My father stopped, cold turkey, at age 53.  My mother smoked until 67.

doctordoowop

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »

Bruce  Gordon played  Frank Nitti  on  Stack's  "Untouchables"
Shandy
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »

Robb - Wow, that's six packs a day you were exposed to!  Glad you came out healthy!  I won't argue with second-hand smoke, but it doesn't seem to effect everyone, sometimes not even the smokers themselves, but I wouldn't wish the habit on my worst enemy.  I kick so many things, no problem, but I guess I kicked before I was truly addicted.
doctordoowop

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »

Shandy--must have love d the Mellows! Grin Grin Grin
Shandy
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »

Actually, Lillian was my brother's favorite, but I liked that side myself.  However, as much as I love Earlington, "Cigareetos" sucked major league, lol.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »

Robb - Wow, that's six packs a day you were exposed to!  Glad you came out healthy!  I won't argue with second-hand smoke, but it doesn't seem to effect everyone, sometimes not even the smokers themselves, but I wouldn't wish the habit on my worst enemy.  I kick so many things, no problem, but I guess I kicked before I was truly addicted.
Actually I wasn't exposed to 6 packs a day.  My father did a lot of smoking at his work.  And I was in school and Hebrew School, and playing hockey, and worked some in my father's store.  So, I was only home in the evenings and night.  But, yes, I breathed too much of that foul stuff!  But that hatred of it kept me from ever smoking (that and the cigar my uncle gave me to smoke at 4 years old).  Cheesy

Shandy
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 12:49:30 AM »

4!  He'd be locked up for abuse today, lol.  My father gave me blackberry brandy instead of my meds as a child and I loved it.....too much!  But I can't imagine you were too happy being green and probably ill.  I guess that was the "scared straight" method.  You know, about your not smoking.  All my life I've heard "I drink because my father was a drunk." or "I never touch the stuff cause my family are all drunks."  People just process the info differently.  You did it to your benefit and I'm glad of that.
JoeC

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »

With me it was/is "I DON'T drink because my father was a drunk."
Shandy
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »

You processed it to your benefit too.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »

4!  He'd be locked up for abuse today, lol.  My father gave me blackberry brandy instead of my meds as a child and I loved it.....too much!  But I can't imagine you were too happy being green and probably ill.  I guess that was the "scared straight" method.  You know, about your not smoking.  All my life I've heard "I drink because my father was a drunk." or "I never touch the stuff cause my family are all drunks."  People just process the info differently.  You did it to your benefit and I'm glad of that.
I'm sure he WOULD, because he not only didn't tell me you don't inhale it like one does a cigarette.  But he told me to inhale it!  Angry

Shandy
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »

YIKES!  I think I'd fall over today if I tried that Angry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:51:28 PM by Shandy » Logged
DJ Big Jack
Administrator

BOO !

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »

And,  I don't smoke (never have) for two reasons.

1.   My father smoked cigars .. when I was a kid,  as I came downstairs in the morning from bed,  I walked down the steps into a haze of awful smelling cigar smoke.   It turned my stomach every day and I could hardly eat breakfast.

2.   As a teen,  the first time I kissed a girl who smoked,  it was like licking a dirty ashtray.   From that day on, I never dated anyone who smoked.   It limitied my "choices", but I never regretted it.

Shandy
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »

Sigh, I guess we were never meant to be, Jack Cry
JoeC

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »

1.   My father smoked cigars .. when I was a kid,  as I came downstairs in the morning from bed,  I walked down the steps into a haze of awful smelling cigar smoke.   It turned my stomach every day and I could hardly eat breakfast.

2.   As a teen,  the first time I kissed a girl who smoked,  it was like licking a dirty ashtray.   From that day on, I never dated anyone who smoked.   It limitied my "choices", but I never regretted it.

My future wife smoked when I met her as a teenager. I didn't. She had so much going for her, looks, smarts, personality, etc. I'd have never dropped her over her smoking. She did stop on her own around 40. Think the birth of our first grandchild might've been the main factor. They had a lot of TV ads back then that played up that particular guilt trip angle.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »

Pretty much the same story for me on #1 and #2.   I also never regretted "limiting my choices".

bklynmike101

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

My parents didn't smoke. Actually my mom smoked 1 cigarette per year on New Year's Day. Strange that. My dad said he smoked for 1 year at age 21 but stopped because it "cost money". He never liked doing much of anything if it "cost money".  Grin His favorite pastimes were swimming at the beach and walking, both (essentially) free.

At a bar mitzvah at age 12 I smoked about a dozen cigarettes right in front of my parents who said nothing. Smart they were. Right then and there, upon inhaling my first drag as hard as I could and nearly choking to death, I decided I'd never do something "that stupid" again. And I didn't.

With any girls I dated (and some I didn't but liked), I strongly tried to "discourage" them from smoking, with mixed but fairly decent results.

Not  a fan. But I'd never outlaw it - it should be legal as long it's done in such a way so as not to injure the health of any others (or those that are not bothered by the smoke).   
JoeC

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »

Mike, your parents were smart to just let you do what you did at 12. Sounds like you musta had a pretty good relationship to apparently not fear any repercussions?

I don't know what my parents woulda done with me under a similar circumstance but I was definitely too chicken to find out.
Shandy
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »

It's just about illegal now, but you wouldn't want it to be completely.  In NYC they're over $12 a pack (I don't pay that), most of it "sin tax" as tobacco is cheap and plentiful, so you'd lose all the money we pay for our bad habit.  Then we'd have to subsidize the tobacco farmers until they could grow something else.  Our revenues from exporting are HUGE and I think we finally best the Turkish in demand, so more money lost.  I've paid for things in other countries with loose cigarettes, American brands being very sought after.  The government wants to play Big Brother about curbing smoking "for our own good", but they're profiting too much from our addiction to really care about our health all that much.
JoeC

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

My piano lessons in Germany when I was 9 were paid for with American cigarettes. Much more valuable than money to the poor German teacher. This was just 7 yrs after WWII ended and they still had it tough.

The very nice house we lived in was just "taken" from a German family (assume Nazi) when US forces settled in. All the Germans living in this nice suburban neighborhood outside Frankfurt were "evicted" and occupying American officers moved in. Former owners and their friends used to come around asking (begging) if they could scoop up the fruit that had fallen from in our backyard and was rotting.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 06:57:27 PM »

My piano lessons in Germany when I was 9 were paid for with American cigarettes. Much more valuable than money to the poor German teacher. This was just 7 yrs after WWII ended and they still had it tough.

The very nice house we lived in was just "taken" from a German family (assume Nazi) when US forces settled in. All the Germans living in this nice suburban neighborhood outside Frankfurt were "evicted" and occupying American officers moved in. Former owners and their friends used to come around asking (begging) if they could scoop up the fruit that had fallen from in our backyard and was rotting.
Times were tough in Germany after The War.  Some of my best German friends grew up in the late 1940s and 1950s.    They ran under the US airplanes to catch packages of chocolates, cigarettes,  and chewing gum and played in the rubble hoping they wouldn't set off grenades and land mines.  They looked through the rubble in towns and in the fields in the countryside to find guns and German army helmets and uniforms to sell to The American, Canadian, and British soldiers (The French soldiers didn't want to buy them).  In The Netherlands it was very tough right after The war, too.  We sent money to a lot of family there just so they could survive.  We visited there every summer.  Then, during the storms in early 1953, the dikes (sea walls) in Zeeland (the south mouth of The Rhine River), and flooded that whole province, plus some of South Holland (my family's province).    We sent lots of money to help people whose houses were ruined by being covered with seawater.

JoeC

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

I remember in my time in Germany (1951-1954), us kids (when we were bored) would go looking in close-by fields just like the German kids you later came to know. We kept what we found though. The stuff was still just laying out in open fields.

I came back with a handful of unfired .50 cal machine gun bullets and two Iron Crosses (they didn't rust), plus several lapel pins and other German military insignia. Probably lucky I didn't step on undetonated ordnance. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »

I remember in my time in Germany (1951-1954), us kids (when we were bored) would go looking in close-by fields just like the German kids you later came to know. We kept what we found though. The stuff was still just laying out in open fields.

I came back with a handful of unfired .50 cal machine gun bullets and two Iron Crosses (they didn't rust), plus several lapel pins and other German military insignia. Probably lucky I didn't step on undetonated ordnance. 
You definitely were.  My business partner's wife new a local kid that was killed setting off a land mine in an open field.  She and her friends, and all the neighbourhood kids risked their lives playing outdoors and searching for things to sell on the black market.  I first visited germany in 1964.  But I had been visiting Holland every year since 1948, until moving there in 1972.  Everyone there was fairly poor right after the war.  They were really glad we could bring them nice things from Canada, and we spent a lot of money on our relatives, just to help them make it through.

Shandy
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

This just in....our dumb a** mayor want to raise the price to a minimum of $13.00.  It's now $10.25, but everyone charges more than that, so $13.00 will become $15.00.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: