DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 10:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Harry Howell - RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Howell - RIP  (Read 3979 times)
bklynmike101

« on: March 11, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »

Like Tom "Terrific" Seaver, another hero of my youth falling wayside to age. Harry Howell, tough-guy defenseman for the NY Rangers, has passed at age 86. He was the defensive backbone of the team, who alongside the likes of Arnie Brown, Jimmy Nielsen, and Rod Seiling, anchored the mid-60's NYR through which I was "initiated" into the NHL. Of course Howell's long career started earlier and ended later.

While I still see Seaver as 27 years old (not 74), I see Howell as grizzled but still highly productive veteran backliner of 34-36 (not 86).   
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »

Really sorry to hear Harry has died. RIP.

In the mid-50s when I was introduced to Rangers games at the old 49th Street Garden, Harry, for some reason I never understood, was the fans' "whipping boy." Boo'ed a lot and I never knew quite why. Maybe the fact he was paired on the Rangers' blue line with Lou Fontinato had something to do with it, along with him being a "stay-at-home" player (although most defensemen were back then). Fontinato was the opposite, a fan favorite for his many fights.

Later, that thankfully all changed for Harry as time went on. Another OHL, Guelph-developed Ranger talent, as so many in the 50s and 60s were. Didn't have to travel too far from his Hamilton, Ont home.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:30:19 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »

I recallhim with Bill Gadsby.   Rest in Peace--my RIP  keys are worn out. Grin Grin Grin

Interesting to se  ehe was Jewish.  Bet Robb knows the whole list.
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »

I recallhim with Bill Gadsby.   Rest in Peace--my RIP  keys are worn out. Grin Grin Grin

I had never heard Harry was Jewish (not that I would've expected to). Only player I knew to be Jewish was Bob Plager. He converted, and I recall a story on that.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »

I had never heard Harry was Jewish (not that I would've expected to). Only player I knew to be Jewish was Bob Plager. He converted, and I recall a story on that.
WOW! Really!   The 1967-72 St. Louis Blues were my favourite team because our Winnipeg neighbours' (and family friends') kid, Ab McDonald was on that team.  Barclay, Bob, and Billy were all also on that team.  Yes, I knew that Harry was Jewish.  But. I'm flabbergasted that Bobby Plager converted to Judaism.  Did he marry into a Jewish family?  The Howells were immigrants to Canada from England, who had originally immigrated to England in the mid 1800s from Russia, along with a few hundred thousand others.  I'd bet that their family name in Russia wasn't "Howell".  It was probably Horowitz, or something on a similar vein.

bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:39:01 AM »

I had forgotten about Howell's possible Jewish ancestry (per some sources that I read decades ago) , but the one Jewish NHL player I recall from back in the day was Larry Zeidel who spent the majority of his long pro career in the AHL during the era of the "original 6", but surfaced as a 40 year old with the Flyers when they were born.

Kind of reminds me when I saw the Rochester Americans play in '73-'74 and caught Art Stratton an upper 30 year old whom I had recalled from his NHL days. He was the Americans leading scorer and best player that season.

Guys like Zeidel and Stratton were playing for something besides money, that's for sure.   
JoeC

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:05:25 AM »

I recallhim with Bill Gadsby.   Rest in Peace--my RIP  keys are worn out. Grin Grin Grin

Interesting to se  ehe was Jewish.  Bet Robb knows the whole list.

WOW! Really!   The 1967-72 St. Louis Blues were my favourite team because our Winnipeg neighbours' (and family friends') kid, Ab McDonald was on that team.  Barclay, Bob, and Billy were all also on that team.  Yes, I knew that Harry was Jewish.  But. I'm flabbergasted that Bobby Plager converted to Judaism.  Did he marry into a Jewish family?  The Howells were immigrants to Canada from England, who had originally immigrated to England in the mid 1800s from Russia, along with a few hundred thousand others.  I'd bet that their family name in Russia wasn't "Howell".  It was probably Horowitz, or something on a similar vein.

Apparently converted around 1977, prior to marriage, which would put the conversion at the tail end of his career.

Who got the better in this trade back in 1967? Bob Plager, Gary Sabourin, Tim Ecclestone and Gord Kannegiesser traded to the Blues from the Rangers for Rod Seiling. I mean Seiling was a good defenseman (always a great + - guy) but .... a lot to give up.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:12:51 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »

Only announcer who knew how to  list all  Jewish  BB  players "carefully"  was Scully  a few yrs ago.  Think it was in context of Shawn  Green  sitting out a game on a Jewish holiday.   Named  Kapler, Ausmus, Lieberthal,  Youkalis, & Schoenweis  etc & a total of  12 as I recall.

All other  announcers avoid all  comment about players'  religion,  politics,  sexual preference.   For  example it was never mentioned that Jeter was "mixed."  I know, nobody really   
  cares  anymore. I never did. Never mentioned  that Campy's  father was   of Italian backkground---nobody cared  then either.

JoeC

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »

In 2014, there were only 6 Jewish players in the entire NHL. So, hardly common.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »

I recallhim with Bill Gadsby.   Rest in Peace--my RIP  keys are worn out. Grin Grin Grin

Interesting to se  ehe was Jewish.  Bet Robb knows the whole list.

WOW! Really!   The 1967-72 St. Louis Blues were my favourite team because our Winnipeg neighbours' (and family friends') kid, Ab McDonald was on that team.  Barclay, Bob, and Billy were all also on that team.  Yes, I knew that Harry was Jewish.  But. I'm flabbergasted that Bobby Plager converted to Judaism.  Did he marry into a Jewish family?  The Howells were immigrants to Canada from England, who had originally immigrated to England in the mid 1800s from Russia, along with a few hundred thousand others.  I'd bet that their family name in Russia wasn't "Howell".  It was probably Horowitz, or something on a similar vein.

Apparently converted around 1977, prior to marriage, which would put the conversion at the tail end of his career.

Who got the better in this trade back in 1967? Bob Plager, Gary Sabourin, Tim Ecclestone and Gord Kannegiesser traded to the Blues from the Rangers for Rod Seiling. I mean Seiling was a good defenseman (always a great + - guy) but .... a lot to give up.

The Blues got the better of that trade.  Bob Plager had more than 10 years with The Blues as a great stay-at-home D-man, and great crease-clearer and great at the physical game (one of the best hip-checkers of all time), plus, he was a great fighter (just like Barc was).

Sabourin was a 4 or 5 time 20 goal scorer, who played about 10 years for The Blues.  Ecclestone was a solid 3rd liner, who helped The Blues for 8-9 years.  But, The Blues getting Red Berenson and Barclay Plager from The Rangers, a few weeks later, for a very old Ron Stewart, was a LOT more lopsided in The Blues' favour than this trade with The Rangers.

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »

Robb, agree the Blues won that trade.

Emile "The Cat" Francis wasn't the sharpest GM in the league. I still hold a grudge for him trading Ratelle and Park to the Bruins for Esposito and Vadnais. The Cat, btw, is still alive (in his 90s). So are all the other players involved except Vadnais, who became more or less the scapegoat back in the years after the trade -- once his goal scoring dropped off precipitously.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »

Talking about Jewish NHL players, I remember, in addition to Larry Zeidel and Harry Howell, Art Stratton, Hy Buller, Alex Levinsky, Matthieu Schneider, Jeff Halpern, Bobby Winograd (from Winnipeg) (some of my family there know his family), David Warsofsky, Steve Dubinsky, Mike Veisor.  There was a large Jewish community in Montreal, many of whom played hockey pretty well, although only a couple made The NHL.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:20:14 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »

Speaking of Montreal, anyone know why there seems to have been such a drop off in the number and quality of Quebecois NHL players in this century? What's going on up there?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »

The boys are playing video games too much!   Not enough practising!   Grin

JoeC

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

The boys are playing video games too much!   Not enough practising!   Grin
That's probably a good part of it! But ... that would be happening all over Canada.

I'm hard pressed to think of anyone from Quebec except Vinny Lecavalier who has really made a modern day HoF-level mark. On further thought, there's Marc-Andre Fleury, Patrice Bergeron and Kris Letang to also consider but ... that's still a far, far smaller quality contingent than there used to be. Who am I forgetting from this decade and the last? Must be more!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: