DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:32:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  The Last Brooklyn Dodger
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Brooklyn Dodger  (Read 6175 times)
bklynmike101

« on: March 22, 2019, 11:37:42 AM »

The last Brooklyn Dodger to hit a HR was?
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »

I think Duke Snider was the last Brooklyn Dodger to homer at Ebbets Field. Off Robin Roberts (who lost over 20 games in 1957).

I also know the Dodgers ended the season in Philly so I suspect they hit more HRs there. If true, no idea about who might have hit the very last one. Good trivia question!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:34:37 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »

Not the Duke. Someone now long forgotten though from memory though he was an All-Star. His 1960 BB card - his last - was light yellow.
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »

Since you don't seem 100% sure he was an All-Star, I'll rule out Hodges, Campanella and Reese (they certainly aren't long forgotten).  I don't think the latter two were playing much by the end of '57 anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, I'll eliminate lesser players like Amoros, Cimoli, Zimmer, Pignatano, etc.  

So that leaves me with two guesses: I'll go with Furillo or Gilliam. Whether they are "forgotten," I guess, would depend on how big a fan you were/are. Certainly never had the national prominence of Pee Wee, Jackie, Duke, Roy, Hodges, etc.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:23:07 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »

Charlie  Neal--or  George Shuba.
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »

Charlie  Neal--or  George Shuba.

Mike said his memory has him thinking the player was an All-Star at some point.  Don't think Neal or Shuba ever came close to that level. Could be wrong.

If it's not your two guesses or mine (Furillo or Gilliam), I think it has to be a player who was on the Dodgers in '57 but maybe made an All-Star team with some other club, either before or after 1957. That'll be tough if that is the case.

My even fleeting consideration of Campanella was foolish. Mike mentions a 1960 baseball card and, of course, Campy was in a wheelchair for 2 yrs by then.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »

Since you don't seem 100% sure he was an All-Star, I'll rule out Hodges, Campanella and Reese (they certainly aren't long forgotten).  I don't think the latter two were playing much by the end of '57 anyway. On the other end of the spectrum, I'll eliminate lesser players like Amoros, Cimoli, Zimmer, Pignatano, etc.  

So that leaves me with two guesses: I'll go with Furillo or Gilliam. Whether they are "forgotten," I guess, would depend on how big a fan you were/are. Certainly never had the national prominence of Pee Wee, Jackie, Duke, Roy, Hodges, etc.
No one above a casual fan would have forgotten Carl Furillo or Jim Gilliam, or Charlie Neal, Sandy Amoros, Gino Cimoli, or even Joe Pignatano.  I was a Cub fan, and hated The Dodgers, yet I would say that out of that group, only, possibly Pignatano could be called "obscure".

doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »

Joe--they  wouldbe considered  "wild guesses"
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 01:51:52 PM »

A similar  question--FIRST  HR by any team player  in Dodger Stadium--of course 1962.   Not sure who hit 1st or last at Coliseum. Jim  Davenport?
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »

The answer is someone that I'd consider to be more obscure than Amoros, Furillo, Neal, Gilliam, Cimoli, Zimmer, or even Pignatano. Actually, I would not consider any of those players to be obscure as they were all fairly well known players in a Brooklyn and/or LA Dodger uniform, with a high degree of media attention. And, of course, Pignatano received some ink as a Met and Zimmer as a long-time manager and bench coach. To be clear, the person was an all-star for sure, though in his pre-Dodger days (Chicago Cubs).

Time to give it away - he just passed away earlier this week at the age of 93. If no one gets it, I'll provide the answer next time I post.  
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 02:05:10 PM »

Randy Jackson?

If I'm right, it was the Cubs clue that gave it away. I did not know he had passed recently. Nor would I have known he was an All Star for the Cubs but ... I guess he was good enough to have had an All Star season or two. When I think of Randy, the All Star team does not immediately leap to mind. Then again, I wasn't a Cubs fan.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:27:39 PM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »

A similar  question--FIRST  HR by any team player  in Dodger Stadium--of course 1962.   Not sure who hit 1st or last at Coliseum. Jim  Davenport?

First homer at the LA Coliseum by a player on any team was by Hank Sauer of the SF Giants. Don't know the last one.

You didn't ask but ... Giants SS Darryl Spencer hit the first HR at Seals Stadium in the first MLB game ever played on the West Coast. Think it was off Don Drysdale.

I have zero idea who homered first at Chavez Ravine. I'll guess Duke Snider (he was still batting cleanup in 1962).

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »

Randy Jackson?

If I'm right, it was the Cubs clue that gave it away. I did not know he had passed recently. Nor would I have known he was an All Star for the Cubs but ... I guess he was good enough to have had an All Star season or two. When I think of Randy, the All Star team does not immediately leap to mind. Then again, I wasn't a Cubs fan.
I was a Cubs fan, and I don't remember Randy Jackson making The NL All Star team.  How could he have done that with Ernie Banks on the team?  The Cubs very rarely had 2 players make the team.

doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

Joe--Wally  Post-Reds-  1st at  Dodger Stadium.  Scully  mentioned it  a couple times  thruout the yrs.   Thanx for Hank Sauer.   

Those  weird stats  are usually it seems  set by  mediocre guys--Ransom Jackson,   Sauer--maybe  like Don Demeter  etc.

Or Chuck Essegian
JoeC

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »

Joe--Wally  Post-Reds-  1st at  Dodger Stadium.  Scully  mentioned it  a couple times  thruout the yrs.   Thanx for Hank Sauer.  

Those  weird stats  are usually it seems  set by  mediocre guys--Ransom Jackson,   Sauer--maybe  like Don Demeter  etc.

Or Chuck Essegian

Wally Post was on that great slugging Reds team that, at the time, set the team HR record. Was that '59 or '60? Thereabouts, anyway.  Jim Greengrass and Frank Robby were the other starting OFs. All three had a load of HRs. Gus Bailey hit many at the C position as well. Maybe it was earlier coz I'm sure Big Klu was on that slugging team too, playing 1B. 
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »

Randy Jackson?

I was a Cubs fan, and I don't remember Randy Jackson making The NL All Star team.  How could he have done that with Ernie Banks on the team?  The Cubs very rarely had 2 players make the team.

Guess we'll have to wait for Mike to see if I'm right. In the meantime, looked up Randy. Best year was 1953 -- hit .285 with 19 HR for Cubs. Pretty good year. Still, I'm with you, doesn't sound like an All Star (as I said above). Maybe it's not Randy. He was on the '57 Dodger team though and had some pop.
bklynmike101

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:35 PM »

Joe,

You got it. Randy Jackson, a 2-time all-star per his obit published in the LA Times which is how I came to know this stuff (except for the color of his 1960 BB card - those colors are etched in stone in my brain).

Come to think of it I've got one more related quiz item - don't need any research or reminders for this one - will put it in a new topic.   
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 11:07:24 PM »

Joe--Wally  Post-Reds-  1st at  Dodger Stadium.  Scully  mentioned it  a couple times  thruout the yrs.   Thanx for Hank Sauer.  

Those  weird stats  are usually it seems  set by  mediocre guys--Ransom Jackson,   Sauer--maybe  like Don Demeter  etc.

Or Chuck Essegian

Wally Post was on that great slugging Reds team that, at the time, set the team HR record. Was that '59 or '60? Thereabouts, anyway.  Jim Greengrass and Frank Robby were the other starting OFs. All three had a load of HRs. Gus Bailey hit many at the C position as well. Maybe it was earlier coz I'm sure Big Klu was on that slugging team too, playing 1B.  

Cincinnatti broke the record with 221 home runs in 1956.  Kluzewski, Baily, Robinson, Bell and Post all had 28-36, and Ray Jablonski had 15.  I remember now that Randy Jackson made the 1954 and 1955 NL All Star teams as a reserve.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:31:36 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »

Klu wore his jersey cut off at the shoulders to show off his bulging biceps. He had some awesome years in his prime with the Redlegs.
doctordoowop

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »

Joe-Gus Bell  and ED bailey
JoeC

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »

Of course, Gus and Ed! My bad.  And I was wrong that Jim Greengrass was an OF on that team. He must've come later. Smokey Burgess and George Crowe also hit more than 10 HRs each in 1956.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »

Of course, Gus and Ed! My bad.  And I was wrong that Jim Greengrass was an OF on that team. He must've come later. Smokey Burgess and George Crowe also hit more than 10 HRs each in 1956.

Greengrass was earlier.  His big years were the EARLY-MID '50S.  ACTUALLY, he had only 2 full seasons with the Redlegs, 1953 and 1954.  In early 1955, he was traded to The Phillies in the Smokey Burgess trade.  THAT year was his only other year as a regular.

doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »

We  have a  few  Rainmen here.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin   Recall  Hoffman  mentioning  the  Dee Fondy  trade in  the  opening scene--for  George Crowe?
Ken  Aspromonte, or Woody  Held in trade.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »

We  have a  few  Rainmen here.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin   Recall  Hoffman  mentioning  the  Dee Fondy  trade in  the  opening scene--for  George Crowe?
Ken  Aspromonte, or Woody  Held in trade.

Huh?   I'm not understanding ANY of these Baseball trivia questions, today!  Dee Fondy was NEVER traded for ANY of those 3 players.  I'm not sure what you mean.  In early 1957 season, Fondy was traded by The Cubs with Gene Baker, to The Pirates for Lee Walls and Dale Long.  Then, at the end of that season, The Pirates traded Fondy to The Redlegs for Ted Kluzewski.  What do ANY of George Crowe, Ken  Aspromonte, or Woody  Held have to do with Fondy???

doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »

Held &  Aspromonte  -I meant to include   in Minoso-Wynn  trade. 

Dee Fondy-Rainman  talked about  him in  1st scene --about how Cubs got him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: