DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2021, 12:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Red Kelley
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Kelley  (Read 10335 times)
JoeC

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »

Recall Boston garden being mentioned as smaller-- not MSG.    Re CKLW---the DJs almost all  sounded identical---&  often moved to KNJ,  KFRC, WOR-FM  & the other Drake run stations.  Sometimes changed part or all  of names.

CKLW in Windsor, Ontario had a 50,000 watt transmitter that easily reached NY most nights. As did WKBW in Buffalo, and WCFL (the "Voice of Labor") in Chicago. I think Dick Biondi was, at different times, on all three of those stations. Tom Shannon was on CK and WKBW. Terry Knight was a huge Detroit-area DJ, as was Charlie Van Dyke (later PD at KHJ in LA). 
bklynmike101

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:49 AM »

My Canadian brother-in-law and his family, originally from suburban Toronto, but now residing in B.C., sound virtually "standard American" except for the ever-present "oot" for out and perhaps a few other items. As a lifelong student of French (with very limited capabilities outside of written comprehension), I find the French Canadian accent to be a bit "off" - Americanized in a way - compared to the French spoken in France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. However, there are exceptions - French Canadians with "French" accents.

In Montreal some years back I found that most locals were perfectly bi-lingual. Outside town, however, we did run into folks that were French only speakers. That experience is somewhat akin to my (more recent) experiences in many European nations.

Back in Montreal, there was the time I needed directions to the restroom in a large restaurant and conjuring up my best French (now much improved albeit still quite limited) asked. Expecting a one or two word answer, I was taken aback and quite confused at the barrage of words I received from our waitress in response. Fortunately, sensing my distress, she took pity on me, smiled sweetly and pointed. Merci!     
doctordoowop

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »

Typo-KHJ
doctordoowop

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »

Biondi  was on KRLA  in LA  for  a year  or so.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »

Biondi was on L.A Top 40 radio for several years.  If he was only with KRLA for a year (I think it was at least 2.5 or 3) he must have been on KHJ or another L.A. pop station. 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »

Recall Boston garden being mentioned as smaller-- not MSG.    Re CKLW---the DJs almost all  sounded identical---&  often moved to KNJ,  KFRC, WOR-FM  & the other Drake run stations.  Sometimes changed part or all  of names.

CKLW in Windsor, Ontario had a 50,000 watt transmitter that easily reached NY most nights. As did WKBW in Buffalo, and WCFL (the "Voice of Labor") in Chicago. I think Dick Biondi was, at different times, on all three of those stations. Tom Shannon was on CK and WKBW. Terry Knight was a huge Detroit-area DJ, as was Charlie Van Dyke (later PD at KHJ in LA). 

Is that the same Terry Knight who was lead singer of Terry Knight and The Pack?

JoeC

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »

Where wasn't he?? Guy had the wanderlust!
JoeC

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »

Is that the same Terry Knight who was lead singer of Terry Knight and The Pack?
Yes, it is! The Pack later became Grand Funk Railroad (later shortened to just Grand Funk), without Terry. All those guys were natives of Flint, or its suburbs.
doctordoowop

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »

Biondi  was  definitely  NOT on KHJ.   If not KRLA, then  KFWB.   I was a huge KHJ fan and still  listen on YT. I'll  have to  do  sosme checking.

Dont forgtet Joey Reynolds from Buffalo-
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2019, 11:50:39 PM »

Biondi  was  definitely  NOT on KHJ.   If not KRLA, then  KFWB.   I was a huge KHJ fan and still  listen on YT. I'll  have to  do  some checking.

Dont forgtet Joey Reynolds from Buffalo-
You were right that he was on KRLA.  I'm just saying that he must have been in L.A.  more like 3 years than 1.  I only meant that IF you knew he was only with KRLA for one year, he must have been with one of the other Pop stations, too.  I "meant"  KFWB, rather than KHJ.  But, maybe he was just with KRLA longer than you thought?

JoeC

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »

Who said Biondi was on KHJ? I mentioned he was on WKBW, CKLW and WCFL. I knew he was also on the air in LA but, unlike those other stations, the West Coast was out of my range. I did say that Charlie Van Dyke went from being a CKLW DJ to being Program Director at KHJ.
bklynmike101

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »

This hockey thread has been hijacked! To a music thread nonetheless. Oh the humanity!  Grin
JoeC

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »

This hockey thread has been hijacked! To a music thread nonetheless. Oh the humanity!  Grin
Alright, back to Red. I would've chosen the middle guy on the "To Tell The Truth" episode. The one in the Maple Leafs sweater. Although he did look a little young, he answered correctly about Eaton's and hesitated less than the real Red on who Howe played for.

Got a laugh out of Robb later singling him and the clueless Contestant #3 out as American wusses.
doctordoowop

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »

I said NOT  on KHJ.   He did MC  Stones &  Beatles  at HWood Bowl- wen he was at  KRLA.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »

I said NOT  on KHJ.   He did MC  Stones &  Beatles  at HWood Bowl- wen he was at  KRLA.

Yes, I think he was with KRLA 3 years, and with no other L.A. Station.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: