DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2021, 04:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
88256 Posts in 9390 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Game 6 - 1952 World Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game 6 - 1952 World Series  (Read 1148 times)
JoeC

« on: June 14, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »

Watched it today on the MLB Network. I was living in Germany at the time (and even if I hadn't been, I was too young to have it indelibly stamped on my brain).

Anyway, some comments and thoughts.

- The Dodgers led the Series 3-2, going into this game at Ebbets Field (Game 7 would be played there too). So, an "elimination game" for the Yanks.

- Mel Allen and Red Barber on the TV call

- Raschi and Loes were the starters

- Not many deep counts with both hurlers "pitching to contact"; game moved along fast!

- Dodgers took a 1-0 lead in the 6th with Snider hitting a HR over the 30' LF wall

- NYY came right back with 2 runs off Loes; Berra and Mantle homered

- Score going into the 9th was 3-2 Yanks (Snider hit his second of the day off Raschi) and that's how it ended.

- Allie Reynolds relieved for NY and Roe came in for Brooklyn.

- Boy, did Reynolds have a smooth, effortless delivery and he threw hard

- Rizzuto hit the ball hard (not for power but his single late in the game was really laced to left)

- I'd forgotten McDougald's open stance and how he held the bat straight back, even with his mid-section (no upright bat awaiting the pitch for him)

- John Mize (at 1B for the Yanks) was a BIG man

- Dressen stuck with Loes WAY too long (even for those days)

- PH Andy Pafko, with Reynolds wild and a man on first, pops up on a 3-1 pitch with one out in the bottom of the 9th

Rocky Nelson PH for Hodges in the 9th -- Hodges had K'd 3x and was hitless in the Series I think

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:28 AM »

Knew  Billy  Loes. Met him in 1990  at a Dodger camp.  A little  strange but interesting.  I was his favorite  camper because  I wasthe only one  who liked to spend time with him.

He had no job--"I  shack up with  chicks on welfare."  Known for  a couple  crazy remarks.A  grounball  "I lost it in the sun."

I dont want to wil 20  games b/c  they'llexpect that every year."   Dont recall  ever seeing him on Felton.--a bit nervous  re:public speaking.
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »

I meant Snider homered over the 30' RF wall (I said LF)

Couple other observations:

- Campy was even a slower runner than I recalled (he go no infield hits)

- Noticed Rizzuto took his glove with him to the dugout at the end of a Brooklyn inning whereas Martin tossed his glove into the OF behind 2B. Wonder what percentage of players left their gloves on the field back then?

- Preacher Roe wore the baggiest uniform I ever saw.

doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »

A lot did Joe.[gloves on field]  Roe--great guy-- once won a game giving up  6  Hrs-but all  solo.  That's when he told  Duke to play higher.

Anyone remember when AL  allowed  still photographers on the field?[[foul  territory only ]  Must have been a team decision--Yanks never allowed it--but I recall my pop  pointing out  photogs  on field in Chicago, Detroit, and a couple  more.
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »

A lot did Joe.[gloves on field]  Roe--great guy-- once won a game giving up  6  Hrs-but all  solo.  That's when he told  Duke to play higher.

Anyone remember when AL  allowed  still photographers on the field?[[foul  territory only ]  Must have been a team decision--Yanks never allowed it--but I recall my pop  pointing out  photogs  on field in Chicago, Detroit, and a couple  more.
Wonder how many times a player tripped over those gloves left on the field?

As for the photogs on the field, I don't really recall (guess I was oblivious to anything or anyone not on the field of play).

Mel and Red were raving over the quality of their TV camera crew. Of course, by today's standards, the picture was pretty bad. I'm sure their "control room" was prehistoric -- you could tell by how many plays where the camera trailed the action. Baseball has a lot to cover, more than most sports!
bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 07:25:20 PM »

When I first learned that MLB players left their gloves out in the field when their team came to bat , which was not that long ago, I was flabbergasted. As kids, we often did that when sharing gloves with kids on the other team, quite common, but in the bigs? I started watching games with consciousness in '59 - no gloves on the field by then. Can you imagine doing that in today's game? 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: