DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  STANTON AGAIN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: STANTON AGAIN  (Read 8662 times)
doctordoowop

« on: August 09, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »

Right again.  Predicted 3 yrs ago Giancarlo would have an injury plagued, now I believe short ,  Yankee career.  He would have missed the start of season  because of another mysterious  muscle strain somewhere. The pandemic allowed him to start the year.  But Mike wasted little time going back on DL  after about  12 games-another phantom  dreaded "groin strain."

I call it New York itis. If he comes back, he's very lucky he  will  hear no booing in Yankee Stadium. Like I said in the past-  he's  got the Ed Whitson [NY phobia] disease.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:41:50 PM »

I remember you calling out how injury-prone Stanton has been with the Yanks. Guy can't stay on the field. Last year it was his bicep. This time, a hamstring pull while running the bases.   

I know he went to Notre Dame in Sherman Oaks. Grew up though, I think, in Sunland or Tujunga. If I'm remembering correctly, same home area as The Innocents (of Kathy Young fame).
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 10:19:32 PM »

Right Joe. Just what I was thinking.  From Sherman Oaks to the Bronx Bombers is  quite a leap. The announcers --Kaye, Cone, and O'Neill --were making such a big deal his 25 lb wt loss, how he was in such great shape now etc. I dont think he  will
 be back for the regular season-about 45 games.
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 12:57:27 PM »

I was right--now Yanks are saying  out 4 weeks.  He'll Miss most of  60 game season.  Forgot he was  "hurt"in 1st game against Astros last yr & was out.

The Yankee  announcers dont even mention him--just Judge again hurt. One even said with Ford and Tauchman they wont miss Stanton.

As great as Cole's sigining is, Stanton's  just terrible.But not my $$.
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »

Doc, It's a bit odd. I don't recall him being out with any injuries with the Marlins. Could be wrong.

Whatever the case, you've been right on the mark with your predictions.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 08:35:30 PM »

Just wen hit in face with pitch.  But he hit 59 HRs  after that. 

Joe-its  Whitson disease-really.
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »

Or Sonny Gray-itis more recently. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »

mike--agree.  As great as these athletes are "performance anxiety "  can be very debilitating. Just met  Jeff DaVanon. Great athlete-just too small==6'--185 then.

He said he was scared the first time he came down the runway & saw  Frank Thomas talking with  Mark McGwire. He showed me his 1st Angel BB card--Mickey Hatcher said he was his own worst enemy.

JoeC--trivia -what  is DaVanon's   rare best game & what   did he do that no Angel-- did  done before or since.
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 03:56:37 PM »

mike--agree.  As great as these athletes are "performance anxiety "  can be very debilitating. Just met  Jeff DaVanon. Great athlete-just too small==6'--185 then.

He said he was scared the first time he came down the runway & saw  Frank Thomas talking with  Mark McGwire. He showed me his 1st Angel BB card--Mickey Hatcher said he was his own worst enemy.

JoeC--trivia -what  is DaVanon's   rare best game & what   did he do that no Angel-- did  done before or since.
Doc, I said I 'm weak on info re "modern" players. How weak? Well, I didn't recognize the name of Jeff DaVanon, or that he was a major leaguer.

I do, however, recall Jerry DaVanon (gotta be a relative, with that rare name). Jerry was a weak-hitting INF for a number of teams. Out of Hoover HS in San Diego (Ted Williams went there too) back in the mid to late 60s. Played with a half-dozen teams as a Utility IF.

Here's a trivia question back at ya (or to anyone else). Jerry DaVanon was the backup to Mark Belanger and Davy Johnson on the '71 Orioles. He got an AL Championship ring after the O's lost a 7 game WS to the Pirates!

In 1972, he was traded to the California Angels for an OF who was once a highly touted NY Yankee prospect, initials RR. This OF had the dubious distinction with the 1971 Angels of being the only player ever to compile an OPS (On Base + Slugging Pct) of greater than .700 while putting up a batting average of under .200, while playing in a minimum of 100 games. Came up with the Yanks in 1964 before a trade to KC in '66. Strong defensive OF, with occasional pop (hit 12+ HRs in 6 of his 9 seasons). Just could not hit for average (.224 lifetime). Can u name?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:23:23 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »

Well, I was intrigued, could not come up with RR and looked it up. Remember him well but had not thought of him in many moons. Will not provide the answer here in case anyone is still "playing".
JoeC

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »

Well, I was intrigued, could not come up with RR and looked it up. Remember him well but had not thought of him in many moons. Will not provide the answer here in case anyone is still "playing".
Mike, I had the same feeling about him. Had not thought of him probably for 45 years or more. Yanks were starting to fade when he arrived and fans were really hoping for a new Mantle. This guy was never seen as a replacement Mantle but I remember fans touting him as perhaps in the same category as Bobby Murcer (so, that's sorta "Mickey-Lite"). He fell well short of Bobby.

I'll throw the name out tomorrow. If anyone else even saw the question, I knew this group was way too knowledgeable to say Rick Reichardt! He fits the RR clue and also arrived in the Majors in '64 but, of course, didn't come up with NY. Reichardt did, however, get a Sports Illustrated cover and was really expected to be the next great player.

For anyone: Follow-on Rick Reichardt trivia question. What 1966 occurrence were Rick and Tommy John involved in that ties them forever to Anaheim Stadium?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:15:57 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »

Joe,

I haven't a clue to your latest query but recall Reichardt having at least one very strong year before losing a kidney and effectively never being the same. Sad case.  But I think he' still around so maybe he's had a good life.

My favorite guy in the RR category was one Steve Whitaker. He came up with the Yankees maybe mid-August or so and went on a HR tear. My friends and I were so excited - maybe circa '66 when the Yankees had fallen off the cliff. Unfortunately, for us NY homies, Whitaker's hitting prowess fizzled out in short order and that was that, a common occurrence. We were so sure he was the real deal - the enthusiasm of youth.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:30 PM »

Joe-Spanish name--Rodolfo Rodriguez  or  similar.  U got half the trivia answer.  Jerry & Jeff  still are the only father-son to play for Angels.( NOT  at same time like Griffeys).

Not much of a hitter, but Jeff  once hit for the cycle.  That's something I bet the following never did-Babe, Lou,Ted, Joe, Mickey,Willie, Hank Stan etc.
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 08:13:07 AM »

The RR player was Roger Repoz. When you look at ALL the prospects who came up to the Yanks until the early 1960s, it's amazing how many lived up to, or exceeded, high expectations! Then, it seemed overnight, all the big-time prospects began to dry-up, or fail -- until Steinbrenner resurrected the teams fortunes.

The connection of Rick Reichardt to Tommy John was that Tommy threw the pitch (playing for the White Sox) that Rick Reichardt connected with, for the very first HR ever hit in a MLB game at Anaheim Stadium. April of '66. That was the only run the Angels scored in a loss that day. Lew Burdette relieved for the Angels (I had not recalled Lew playing for them, but he won 7 games for them in '66; went 1-0 in 67, his last season, at age 40).
bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »

As for Lew Burdette (black base '60 Topps card), always one of my (many) favorites. Around '67 or so, he was winding it down, on his last legs so to speak, when his Angels were in town playing the Yankees. I'm out in the RF grandstands somewhere watching warm-ups when someone hits a fly ball and Burdette, who was casually wandering around the OF shagging flies (probably both varieties) sees a ball headed his way, camps slightly in front of it, reaches behind his back with one arm and snags it. He lit up a grin from ear to ear.

So did I. Grin I was quite impressed.   
JoeC

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »

Loved the Burdette anecdote, Mike!

On Oct 3, 1957 (had just turned 14) I saw my one and only World Series game. Game 2 of the Braves-Yankees series. The Yanks had won Game 1 and threw Bobby Shantz against Burdette in Game 2 at Yankee Stadium. Braves won it 4-2. I think Burdette went the distance. I recall Art Ditmar relieving Shantz at some point. Aaron tripled, Johnny Logan homered. Hank Bauer homered for the Yanks in the 3rd.
doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 07:16:05 PM »

Joe-I was close--Spanish name & had correct  last letter. 

I was at 2nd game of 1958  WS--Bauer hit 2 hrs. Since then  game 2 of  1988  WS  & game 1 of  2002  WS.
JoeC

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 07:22:27 AM »

Joe-I was close--Spanish name & had correct  last letter.  

I was at 2nd game of 1958  WS--Bauer hit 2 hrs. Since then  game 2 of  1988  WS  & game 1 of  2002  WS.
Doc, '58 had a much better outcome for the Yanks! Burdette, with 3 wins in the Series, was just too much for them in '57.

It's funny in that the '57 game for me was my one and only time attending a World Series game. I could've gone to any number of World Series games in Baltimore, especially in 1966 when neither of the two Baltimore home games was close to a true sellout. I remember being on a friend's boat in the Chesapeake Bay for the final game of the O's sweep of the Dodgers that season. Shifting priorities, I guess.
bklynmike101

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »

I've never had the good fortune to attend a WS or MLB playoff game of any type. Just managed one 'special" event game - the aforementioned '84 A-S game in SF.  I have managed a few NBA & NHL playoff games, in both NY and LA. 

The strong '57-59  Braves are "inches" before my time but I read and learned much about them from used copies of books like "Baseball Stars of 1957" and a few subsequent years. Still have 'em - torn off covers, loose pages, and all. Crandall-Adcock-Torgeson-Schoendienst-Logan-Matthews- Aaron-Bruton-Covington-Spahn-Burdette-Buhl readily come to mind.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »

I've never had the good fortune to attend a WS or MLB playoff game of any type. Just managed one 'special" event game - the aforementioned '84 A-S game in SF.  I have managed a few NBA & NHL playoff games, in both NY and LA. 

The strong '57-59  Braves are "inches" before my time but I read and learned much about them from used copies of books like "Baseball Stars of 1957" and a few subsequent years. Still have 'em - torn off covers, loose pages, and all. Crandall-Adcock-Torgeson-Schoendienst-Logan-Matthews- Aaron-Bruton-Covington-Spahn-Burdette-Buhl readily come to mind.

That period was the height of my baseball fandom, and I knew that with cheapskate, Phil Wrigley, at the helm of The Cubs, they'd never win another NL pennant.  So, I adopted the 90 miles away Braves as my 3rd team.  And, they became my favourite.  I was devastated when they moved to Atlanta.  But, by then, I was mostly in L.A., anyway.  I did go to County Stadium to see some games, however, during 1957-1962.

bklynmike101

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »

Robb,

While on assignment in Milwaukee in '96, I made sure to get to both old County Stadium and Wrigley Field. Both were architecturally interesting.  For the Cubs game, all I could muster for my Saturday day game was a walk-up standing room only ticket. I had a blast talking to an usher or two pre-game and walking around the park both inside and out per-game. Didn't much care for the inflated "easy out" parking price though but necessary so I could get out of there and not miss my flight home.     
JoeC

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 07:20:29 AM »

Robb,

While on assignment in Milwaukee in '96, I made sure to get to both old County Stadium and Wrigley Field. Both were architecturally interesting.  For the Cubs game, all I could muster for my Saturday day game was a walk-up standing room only ticket. I had a blast talking to an usher or two pre-game and walking around the park both inside and out per-game. Didn't much care for the inflated "easy out" parking price though but necessary so I could get out of there and not miss my flight home.     
I've got a similar Milwaukee story. Was at a convention at the old Marc Plaza hotel downtown and took a bus out to a night game against the Indians. This was right after Labor Day of 1976. Brewers scored 17 runs that night. George Scott homered and Joe Lis (remember him?) hit two for Cleveland.

My recollection of County Stadium (from watching the Braves play there in the 50s on TV) was that at least part of the outfield was just a chain link fence with a "pasture" behind it. No fans out there. It looked sort of "bush league" to me. Anyone else remember this? On my sole visit in person in 1976, there definitely were OF bleachers so renovation had obviously been done.

bklynmike101

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

Robb,

I've got a similar Milwaukee story. Was at a convention at the old Marc Plaza hotel downtown and took a bus out to a night game against the Indians. This was right after Labor Day of 1976. Brewers scored 17 runs that night. George Scott homered and Joe Lis (remember him?) hit two for Cleveland.

My recollection of County Stadium (from watching the Braves play there in the 50s on TV) was that at least part of the outfield was just a chain link fence with a "pasture" behind it. No fans out there. It looked sort of "bush league" to me. Anyone else remember this? On my sole visit in person in 1976, there definitely were OF bleachers so renovation had obviously been done.

Great story Joe. Dob't recall Joe Lis at all. My recollection of County Stadium is not quite as vivid as yours. Mostly I recall poles everywhere - reminding me of old Yankee Stadium's RF grandstand seats, where we sat mot of the time we went. Also friendly ticket takers and staff at County - emblematic of the mid-west ethos I usually experienced in Milwaukee during my 9 month gig, commuting home on weekends.  And the fabulous Kupp's custard, reminiscent of similar fare in NYC growing up. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »

mike-dony forget Hurricane Hazle.  My wkend was Sat--Yankee -Sox oldtimers game at old Comiskey,  Sun--Blue Jays- Braves at County ,Monday-- Wrigly  --recallBraves again.
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »

Le Mahieu  is out out 4 weeks--hurt thumb taking a practice swing,  Judge maybe back in a week,  Stanton never.

Rays rite now have a much better team.   Severino,?   German?
bklynmike101

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 01:17:18 PM »

Doc,

I think both Severino and German are done for the year - one with major physical issues and the other for PED suspension. 
JoeC

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »

mike-dony forget Hurricane Hazle.  My wkend was Sat--Yankee -Sox oldtimers game at old Comiskey,  Sun--Blue Jays- Braves at County ,Monday-- Wrigly  --recallBraves again.
Doc, glad you reminded me of Bob "Hurricane" Hazel. He carried the Braves in the last 40 games of the '57 season. (He only came up from AAA due to Billy Bruton getting injured.)

Hazle hit .403 in around 40 games. For a stretch in August, he was even hitting close to .500. Never did much at all before or after that miraculous season. In the 1957 World Series, he got into four games and hit under .200, platooning with Andy Pafko.

doctordoowop

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »

mike--German was suspended for 63  games this year for  physical  abuse to lady friend. Last time I checked  63 is more than 60--so out for year.  But playoffs?  Dont think PEDS involved.
bklynmike101

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 10:52:18 PM »

Doc,

You're probably right. I think physical abuse is a far greater infraction than PEDS. Maybe he will return in the playoffs. Haven't both Chapman and Urias, among others, run themselves into similar predicaments? Shades of Jungle Jim Rivera, Ron LeFlore, and more....

Yankees seem to have been bitten badly once again by the injury bug. Angry
doctordoowop

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »

Think the Yankees are eating same breakfast as Stanton.  Guess getting a new exercise coach  didnt help
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: