DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2021, 12:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  STANTON AGAIN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: STANTON AGAIN  (Read 8690 times)
bklynmike101

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »

Hockey arenas in which I've seen games:

Old MSG, new MSG, Nassau Coliseum, Forum (LA), Staples Center, Bradley Center (IHL Milwaukee Admirals with Tony Hrkac), Rochester War Memorial (AHL Roch. Americans), Pacific Coliseum (Vac. Canucks), some old dump in San Jose (NHL pre-season exhibition),  Long Beach something or other (Long Beach Ice Dogs), Boston Garden (old one - Bruins), Hartford Civic Center(?) - Hart. Whalers.

I've seen the Anaheim Pond but not been inside.
JoeC

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »

Impressive, Mike.

Speaking of the Nassau Coliseum, I read the Islanders will play all their games next season in the old Coliseum in Uniondale, then in 2021-22, move into their brand new arena in Elmont. That's gotta somewhat hurt the viability of the Barclay Center, no? Still, they'll have the Nets, college basketball games, and concerts, etc.
bklynmike101

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »

Joe,

Someday, I'd love to get to Barclays to see the Nets just so I can tell myself I've had the experience of seeing a major sporting event in my home nation of Brooklyn.   Grin

Don't know if it will happen though. Never saw Ebbetts though I've driven past the sight.

Let's see. I did see an LIU basketball game at their venue in Brooklyn. But I don't think that should count. Hm...maybe it was St. John's. But I think LIU.
doctordoowop

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »

Somehow--my note about  arenas ended up  in the first part of  mikes post.

Worried--I  predicted WS  would  be Tampa-LA. Now Tampa 3-3  with Astrocheats,  and LA down 3-2.

The Barclay  fans all told me they couldn't wait  for Islanders to get out of Barclay.  They all   said it was great for  nBB but no good for  hockey.
JoeC

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »

I wish the Islanders' new arena at Belmont Park had ended up being located further out on Long Island. The Elmont location they chose is only a stone's throw from Queens.

Should have been someplace like your old home area, Doc, or Bethpage, or Huntington. Some place more central, more representative of LI. On top of that, the Barclay Center is hardly that distant from the new place! What was the point? I'm sure politics played a big role.
doctordoowop

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2020, 11:43:18 PM »

Agree  Joe. Nassau  Coliseum was great. A  few  miles down  Hempstead Turnpike from  the luxurious  Levittown.  All  newspaper reports  about Nets or Islanders  said "Uniondale"
JoeC

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »

Agree  Joe. Nassau  Coliseum was great. A  few  miles down  Hempstead Turnpike from  the luxurious  Levittown.  All  newspaper reports  about Nets or Islanders  said "Uniondale"
I never was in the Nassau Coliseum so I can't comment. But .. the NHL brass apparently demanded a new arena (or else!). In their minds, the Coliseum "did not meet NHL arena standards." Wonder where it specifically was found lacking for hockey? The Islander fans apparently were in favor of returning to the Coliseum but ... that's not happening long-term.
bklynmike101

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »

The Coliseum was a so-so venue, very cookie cutter, but in a location readily accessible for many. My friends and I could easily get there from our Rockaway Beach location.  Later, already living in LA, I had a 12 month stint directly across the street from the Coliseum for a local savings bank. That would be '96-'97.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »

Well I got half of WS rite--Rays.  With all their $$  the Dodgers have to rely  today  on Tony Gonsolin.  Huh? May even see Kershaw.
JoeC

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »

If the Dodgers get in, I expect them to roll in the Series. Biggest hurdle is tonight. Single game elimination is always dicey, regardless of talent.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:49:53 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »

Top of 9th-prob will  be Jansen--but 3  nites  in a row? WOW  Urias still in.
bklynmike101

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »

Giancarlo has just agreed to not opt out of his remaining contract for 7 years and $217 M.

What a shocker! Wink
doctordoowop

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2020, 03:34:01 AM »

Sure--no future big contract.  He just waves   at   good  curves and sliders. No longer can safely run or field.  But hes great in HR derby or BP.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: