DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:25:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Tom Seaver
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Seaver  (Read 1283 times)
bklynmike101

« on: September 03, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »

Tom Seaver, an icon of my youth, has passed due to complications from Alzheimer's. I'm not usually impacted emotionally by the loss of famous people, but Seaver was one of those with whom I had a "personal" connection. The original Mets, my team since being "converted" by a friend in spring training '62, began life with an interesting but over the hill collection of veterans, a strategy that succeeded at the box office but failed on the field. Within a few years this strategy had been retired, followed by a few years of drab nothingness. In '67, the new Mets began to take shape. Young Tom began the year at 4-3 with an ERA below 3, high achievement indeed for a Mets hurler. I had somehow managed to arrange going to Shea on a weekday night, despite the callings of school. Facing the Reds, Tom-Tom pitched well and the Amazin's squeaked past Cincinnati to a victory.

That was the beginning. The rest, as it is said, is history. By all accounts Seaver was a fine individual both on and off the field. RIP Tom Terrific.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »

mike-agree. RIP. Just heard he had 235 or so complete games--just a couple behind Marichal.  Agree he always seemed to be in a good mood & a good interview  on Kiner's Korner..  Did he ever have arm trouble?  Why did he end up  on Whte Sox?   He was good announcer on  Yankee  games with the Scooter.
I recall  he was from Selma Cal,  easy to remember bec of another Cal  guy Dick Selma. Of course a USC guy.
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »

Doc,

Tom was from the Fresno area - I guess Selma, which I've never heard of, is part of that area. Dick Selma I remember, one of the almost competent Met pitchers when they had none/few. I was quite distressed when the Mets let Seaver go. After that, where and why he moved about didn't matter to me so much.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »

Those things happen--Babe & even Jordan & Montana ended  careers  elsewhere.
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

Back in the 60s (the beginning of the glory years of USC baseball), the manager, Rod Dedeaux, used the California Junior Colleges like the major league teams used the minor leagues. That large JC system allowed the Trojans to stockpile talent and bring players "up" to USC as needed.

Seaver was recruited that way, starting out at Fresno City College.
bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »

Those things happen--Babe & even Jordan & Montana ended  careers  elsewhere.

True. I've always had a predilection for great players having played for only one team. That goes back to my thinking it "prestigious" to read the back of a baseball card with year after year of stats showing just one team - e.g. Musial - S.L. and Williams -Bos being my original examples. for an 8 year old, their stats going back to the stone ages - e.g. WW II, 1930's! ('39) were mid-boggling.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:40:54 AM »

I recall  Magic, West, Bird  and Michael being critical of James for leaving Cleveland 1st time.  They all said something like --stay with your team--make them better  like we did. But Michael loved hoops so much he played last 2 with  Wizards.

Why I've cecome a Lebron hater-left Cleveland again--now Lakers.  My main interest now   is rooting against LA.  And I do not appreciate political  commentary from   a high schoo lgraduate.  Doubt  he even went to class.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: