DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Whitey Ford
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Whitey Ford  (Read 1683 times)
JoeC

« on: October 09, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »

Died today. Two weeks short of his 92nd birthday.

Whitey was truly a great one. Right up there for me with Koufax, Gibson, etc. in terms of having confidence with him on the mound to pitch in a crucial game. Ice water in his veins.

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »

Agree Joe. Could hit, bunt, field  and even drink with Mantle.  RIP.  being a Dodger fan in the  mid 50s I hated him --but  truly fantastic. Shows u could pitch  not even hitting  90 MPH on fastball. Chairman of the Board indeed.
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »

Even though his fastball wasn't that fast, he always produced a load of strikeouts. He always looked very 'hittable' but was anything but.

He grew up in Astoria. Was still living in Lake Success, LI all these many decades later when he passed away yesterday.    

That's 5 HOF to die this year -- Whitey, Kaline, Gibson, Brock and Seaver. Am I forgetting any?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:21:01 PM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:41:16 PM »

Hope not
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »

When I spent time on two separate occasions in '87 and '89 on long-term assignments in Lake Success/Garden City I couldn't help but thinking of Whitey. Folks at the Garden City Hotel seemed to know him well.

Whitey Ford threw the very first pitch that I ever saw thrown live at a baseball game - July 1960 vs Frank Lary and the Tigers. What a game! Even though he was knocked out early that day I thought he was a heck of a pitcher and all-around good guy. RIP. Very few Yankees left from the Yankee teams of my youth - '59-'mid-60's.   
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »

When I spent time on two separate occasions in '87 and '89 on long-term assignments in Lake Success/Garden City I couldn't help but thinking of Whitey. Folks at the Garden City Hotel seemed to know him well.

Whitey Ford threw the very first pitch that I ever saw thrown live at a baseball game - July 1960 vs Frank Lary and the Tigers. What a game! Even though he was knocked out early that day I thought he was a heck of a pitcher and all-around good guy. RIP. Very few Yankees left from the Yankee teams of my youth - '59-'mid-60's.    
The NYY teams of my youth were 1955-59. I was not a Yankee fan (no fun in it because they were so dominant back then). I rooted for the White Sox because of Nellie Fox, my boyhood idol!

Invariably, the Sox seems to finish 2nd in the AL (no cigar, except 59!). Every year it seemed the White Sox-Yank matchups occurring throughout those seasons were 4 game weekend sets (ending with a Sunday doubleheader). The pivotal Friday nite pitchers seemed always to be Whitey Ford vs. Billy Pierce. Final score always was 2-1 or 3-2, Yanks. Whitey was infuriating in that regard.

Is Lake Success a town itself, or a "section" of Garden City or Great Neck? I used to see the road signs for it on the LIE (not far over the Queens-Nassau line).
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »

The NYY teams of my youth were 1955-59. I was not a Yankee fan (no fun in it because they were so dominant back then). I rooted for the White Sox because of Nellie Fox, my boyhood idol!

Invariably, the Sox seems to finish 2nd in the AL (no cigar, except 59!). Every year it seemed the White Sox-Yank matchups occurring throughout those seasons were 4 game weekend sets (ending with a Sunday doubleheader). The pivotal Friday nite pitchers seemed always to be Whitey Ford vs. Billy Pierce. Final score always was 2-1 or 3-2, Yanks. Whitey was infuriating in that regard.

Is Lake Success a town itself, or a "section" of Garden City or Great Neck? I used to see the road signs for it on the LIE (not far over the Queens-Nassau line).

Lake Success and Garden City are separate villages that border one another. Garden City is far more populated. The Lake Success I remember was more corporate with few homes.

I "hear you" on your '55-'59 Yankees and White Sox with Nellie Fox, Louis Aparicio, Billy Pierce, etc. Let's not forget Senor Al Lopez. Every year in the 50's, he came in 2nd to NYY, whether at the helm of Cleveland or Chicago. Except when he came in 1st - e.g. '54 and '59. 
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »

Pitching staffs of the Yanks and White Sox in the last half of the 1950s were comparable. Sox with Pierce, Wynn, Donovan, Harshman, etc. even had an edge in my opinion.

But ... offensively, the Yankees' bats dwarfed what the White Sox could send up to the plate. Aparicio, Fox, Minoso and Lollar were all fine hitters but that lineup had more than a few holes in it. And, that doesn't address power numbers. In 1956, for example, Yanks hit 190 HRs, Chicago 128.

Al Lopez was indeed a great manager, as was Paul Richards before him. Both were former major league Catchers.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:53:41 AM by JoeC » Logged
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »

Joe---a  geography lesson --- Nassau Cty has ony 2 cities.--wen I lived there. Glen Cove [Campys accident]  and Long Beach.   I never knew or  cared what the rest was-unincorporated Town ships and villages..  Outside of those 2 cities if u called the police the Nassau Cty cops would show up.  Long Beach & Glen Covce had own PDs & Fire.

JoeC

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 06:30:19 PM »

Joe---a  geography lesson --- Nassau Cty has ony 2 cities.--wen I lived there. Glen Cove [Campys accident]  and Long Beach.   I never knew or  cared what the rest was-unincorporated Town ships and villages..  Outside of those 2 cities if u called the police the Nassau Cty cops would show up.  Long Beach & Glen Covce had own PDs & Fire.
Thanks, Doc.

That's two more cities than Suffolk County had. We had 10 Towns which contained multiple villages and whatever. For the past 30 years or more, the population of Suffolk has topped Nassau. Back in the 60s, when I lived there, Nassau easily had twice as many folks living in that county. The opening of the LIE beyond Brentwood was/is to blame!
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 10:41:48 PM »

Wow--Suffolk has more people than Nassau.  Wen I lived there vaguely  remember Nassau was  about 2 million or so and Suffolk  1 million. All that $$  &  fame of the Hamptons etc. I remember Montauk  Pt.--only spot on LI  that had  rocks in the ocean, like Malibu.  Made for nice surfing--main beach was  called Ditch Plains.

All LI  beaches  from Long Beach to  end of LI had nice smooth sandy beaches-except  Montauk.  Even from Brighton Beach & Coney Island--no rocks or gravel  near the shore.  From NJ down to Florida--smooth  ocean bottoms.  Sand much whiter too.  Prob take Cal    few million yrsto catch up.
JoeC

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »

Suffolk always had a lot more land mass than Nassau did and once the "infrastructure" was in place, developers used that land to the max.

As of 2010 census, Nassau had a population of 1,339,000 (pretty much the same as in the 60s); Suffolk in 2010 had 1,500,000 (up from only 665,000 in the 60s).

Where I went to HS on the South Shore, to get to an ocean beach, we either took our small boat or a "water taxi" across the Great South Bay to Fire Island. Or, got in our car and drove across the Captree Bridge to get to the barrier island road to Jones Beach. Later, a new beach opened closer to us in Moriches, out east toward the Hamptons a bit. As you said, the beaches were/are beautiful.

bklynmike101

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

Through all the city's dysfunction, the beach itself in Rockaway has remained beautiful and terrific. I admit bias, having lived about 100 yards from the ocean for years. Here in LA, the local beaches in the South Bay - Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, et al are and remain pristine as well. No rocks, no shells (Rockaway has tons of those), lots of sand, and vast expanses of loveliness, winter and summer.
JoeC

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »

Through all the city's dysfunction, the beach itself in Rockaway has remained beautiful and terrific. I admit bias, having lived about 100 yards from the ocean for years. Here in LA, the local beaches in the South Bay - Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, et al are and remain pristine as well. No rocks, no shells (Rockaway has tons of those), lots of sand, and vast expanses of loveliness, winter and summer.
Love the beaches in SoCal. My son and his teen kids are surfers who frequent Ventura, Dume, Zuma, Malibu (near where they live). As nice as those beaches are, I think the ones you mention and down in OC are even better. One of my faves was/is the almost private little beach just south of Newport in Corona del Mar.
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 10:50:34 PM »

the sand is browner, with larger grains than say Jones Beach.  Like I said, it needs   a few million more years of  being pounded by the surf.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: