DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 08:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Today's Baseball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Baseball  (Read 1390 times)
JoeC

« on: October 11, 2020, 04:46:04 PM »

I sound old (which I am) but I'm not a fan of today's game near as much as that played in the past. Nowadays, seems too many ABs end up with a Walk, Strikeout or HR. No wonder some of these playoff games have gone over 4 hours. One AB can take as long as a whole half an inning used to.

I much preferred seeing the ball put in play, and 2:20 minute games.

Not that I blame today's pitchers for NOT wanting to put the ball in play. Have you noticed some of these swings with contact where it appears the batter was late on a pitch, or just reached down and "flicked" the ball -- and those balls end up in the stands? Devalues many records, IMO. MLB has gotta do something about these juiced balls. Then again, as in the Sosa/McGwire hey day 20 years ago, I guess fans wanna see HRs, and lots of them.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »

I sound old (which I am) but I'm not a fan of today's game near as much as that played in the past. Nowadays, seems too many ABs end up with a Walk, Strikeout or HR. No wonder some of these playoff games have gone over 4 hours. One AB can take as long as a whole half an inning used to.

I much preferred seeing the ball put in play, and 2:20 minute games.

Not that I blame today's pitchers for NOT wanting to put the ball in play. Have you noticed some of these swings with contact where it appears the batter was late on a pitch, or just reached down and "flicked" the ball -- and those balls end up in the stands? Devalues many records, IMO. MLB has gotta do something about these juiced balls. Then again, as in the Sosa/McGwire hey day 20 years ago, I guess fans wanna see HRs, and lots of them.

I feel the same.  I liked it when the league batting averages were over .270. several players were hitting over 20 triples per year, the best teams had most of their regulars hitting over .300, and there were a few hitters flirting with .400, and the leagues averaged more walks than strikeouts, and even excellent power hitters like Di Maggio, Williams, Musial, and Aaron had less (mostly significantly less) strikeouts than walks, and almost all players were trying just to meet the ball, rather than swing for the fences every at bat.  When I liked baseball.  I didn't mind a 3 or even 4 hour game.  Most team only regular hitter under .250 was the super-fielding shortstop.  I stopped liking baseball when .250 became a "lusty" BA.  I remember when power hitters in large stadia had 12-17 HRs and 100-120 RBIs, and maybe more triples than HRs.   I remember when weak pitching staffs had extremely hard times getting out of ANY inning, and they would often give an intentional walk with the bases loaded, when the opposing team had a good hitter batting (memories of awful Brownies, Nationals, A's, and Pirates' teams).  My favourite players had .350 lifetime BAs during those years!

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

Robb, I didn't mind the occasional 3 hour+ game either. Thing is, back then it was an exception, not the rule. And, there was usually a lot more "action."

When Andy Messersnith, Dave McNally, Catfish Hunter, Curt Flood, et. al. fought their battles against the Reserve Clause and for Free Agency, I cheered them on. I still admire their guts and the fact their efforts have now given even the 25th man on every roster a very nice standard of living. And, of course, the "big money" that flowed in from TV dwarfed the increases the players got! That's truly when the game went from a sport to big business.

I think back to why a Billy Pierce or Whitey Ford or Sandy Koufax would pitch so many complete games; whereas $324M Gerrit Cole, thought to be one of the top three pitchers in the game, pitches only 5 innings the other night - in the most crucial game of his team's season - and is heartily congratulated for exiting with the score tied at 1. 

The Yankees, in this case, had to think about protecting their business investment over the next 10 seasons. In today's game, the staggering amount of money tied up in an elite player like Cole make clubs have to view them as ultra-valuable pieces of property, in a way that a Warren Spahn, never was.
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:48:04 PM »

I guess baseball   is trying to clime out of  being # 3 behind NBA & NFL.  Gibson had what 240 complete games.  Kershaw has prob about 15.
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »

Agree. Agree. Agree. With everything said above. Baseball would have more "action" with a greater emphasis on batted balls put in play which results in fielders running around to make plays, throws, and actual running instead of (mostly) leisurely strolls to 1B or around the bases on HRs. The idea of 100K's per batter per season being routine even for singles hitters is absurd to me. What ever happened to shortening up swings to "protect" with 2 strikes? Few players do that these days. 

All that said, I don't think the sport will ever recapture great interest among youth, given the faster pace of other sports and today's world.  Baseball was so "20th century". Angry
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 12:31:35 AM »

Agree Mike--average teen  desn't care  about BB.-unlesss  plays in in LL-- or PONY or school.
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »

DDW,

Yeah, both of my sons played LL and club baseball and one played 2 years of HS ball while the other switched to HS basketball. Now, neither follows baseball at all while at least one is a big-time football/basketball fam : Claims baseball is slow and boring. 
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »

DDW,

Yeah, both of my sons played LL and club baseball and one played 2 years of HS ball while the other switched to HS basketball. Now, neither follows baseball at all while at least one is a big-time football/basketball fam : Claims baseball is slow and boring. 
Well, I guess as long as interest in baseball remains high in the DR, PR, Venezuela, Mexico,Curacao, etc., there will still be a lot of talent.
bklynmike101

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »

DDW,

Well, I guess as long as interest in baseball remains high in the DR, PR, Venezuela, Mexico,Curacao, etc., there will still be a lot of talent.

And maybe Korea, Taiwan, Japan as well.
doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »

It is a religion  in Cuba &  DR.   Thats all the young boysdo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: