DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 11:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Dick Cherwin - 1927-31 New York Area Dance Band Leader - need help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dick Cherwin - 1927-31 New York Area Dance Band Leader - need help  (Read 742 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« on: November 02, 2020, 06:52:37 AM »

I have a friend whose wife is the granddaughter of Dick Cherwin, a classical musician who had a nightclub dance band during the late 1920s and early 1930s, who also did some recording session work, and whose name was used as band leader on budget records recorded by other bands (orchestras).  In summer 1936, George Gershwin asked Cherwin to join him in L.A. to work on film scores.  Cherwin joined him within a couple months, but Gershwin got sick and died.  Cherwin then continued working on film scores.  He and his wife want to find out what Cherwin was doing during 1931-36, before going to L.A.  It seems that the last credit he got on a record was in 1931.  Maybe he became one of the uncredited musicians on budget recordings for that whole period?  Is there any way to find out?  Should I ask Marv Goldberg, at least he's done some research on 1920s and 1930s artists.

Please let me know if you have any idea of who I should contact to track down that information.  Thanks.

JoeC

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »

Can't hurt to try Marv. He's been helpful to me on several questions (albeit they were more in the R&B field).

Here's one thing Dick was doing in 1935 -- a Boswell Sisters recording session (I'm a big fan of the Boswells). Looks like he played bass on these two recordings. Apparently, in addition to leading his own band, he was an often-requested studio musician on the standup, double bass.

10/8/35 The Boswell Sisters (v) Russ Case, Ed Wade (tpt) Will Bradley (tbn) Artie Shaw (cl, as) Martha Boswell (p) Carl Kress (g) Dick Cherwin (b) Stan King (d) New York
60029-A Top Hat, White Tie And Tails (Berlin) 3:07 Decca 754B [BSC5]
60030-A Cheek To Cheek (Berlin) 2:54 Decca 574A, [A], [BSC5]

He apparently also recorded (not sure in what capacity) with Bing Crosby in 1931.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:24:39 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

Can't hurt to try Marv. He's been helpful to me on several questions (albeit they were more in the R&B field).

Here's one thing Dick was doing in 1935 -- a Boswell Sisters recording session (I'm a big fan of the Boswells). Looks like he played bass on these two recordings. Apparently, in addition to leading his own band, he was an often-requested studio musician on the standup, double bass.

10/8/35 The Boswell Sisters (v) Russ Case, Ed Wade (tpt) Will Bradley (tbn) Artie Shaw (cl, as) Martha Boswell (p) Carl Kress (g) Dick Cherwin (b) Stan King (d) New York
60029-A Top Hat, White Tie And Tails (Berlin) 3:07 Decca 754B [BSC5]
60030-A Cheek To Cheek (Berlin) 2:54 Decca 574A, [A], [BSC5]

He apparently also recorded (not sure in what capacity) with Bing Crosby in 1931. 

Thanks Joe,
Apparently he stayed in New York and was still playing bass on recording sessions.

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »

If you search on Dick Cherwin, you'll get a number of references to his studio work. In addition to the Boswell Sisters and Crosby, he apparently recorded with a big recording star of the period circa 1920 named Billy Murray.

Looks like Cherwin might have also done "Vitaphone" film scores. That movie music was used on "talkies" (like "The Jazz Singer") but the music was not actually on the film reel itself; it was played in the movie theater on a phonograph record to accompany the film on the screen.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: