DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  The Man Who Played Harmonica Not named Tom Tresh
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man Who Played Harmonica Not named Tom Tresh  (Read 720 times)
bklynmike101

« on: December 14, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »

Sad to report the passing of Yogi's favorite  Wink pal, Phil Linz. At one time, both he and Tom Tresh were vying to be the next Yankee great at the SS position. Tresh, son of Mike Tresh, a long-time MLB player, won the job and started out with a few good seasons but for whatever reasons petered out relatively early, by around age 30 I'd say without looking it up. Linz was your average back-up utility infielder when not serenading his teammates on the bus.     
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

I remember that incident on the Yankee bus back when. After a loss at Comiskey Park, I think. Was that covered in Bouton's book?

Denis Menke died this month too. Believe he was originally a Milwaukee Braves bonus baby back in the late 50s. Had a long career covering the 60s and early 70s.
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »

Joe,

I have Bouton's Ball Four book and from memory do believe the book covered the Linz harmonica incident. great book, quite the eye-opener. Recall Bouton's explanation of why Gary Bell (solid starter with Clev & Bos) was nicknamed "Ding Dong". Not terribly flattering 9at least from a certain perspective) and rather salacious stories involving Mrs. Bell.

Didn't know about Menke - thanks for the info.  Another recent loss (pink card - '59 Topps) was the "original" Bob Miller, whose best efforts were as a member of the '50 Phillies Whiz Kids.     
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: