DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 11:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves  (Read 758 times)
JoeC

« on: December 14, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »

Who'll be next to follow the Cleveland Indians in dropping their Native American-related team name? (Indians will have new name in 2022.)

Did I forget any, or are these three teams all that remain?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »

Who'll be next to follow the Cleveland Indians in dropping their Native American-related team name? (Indians will have new name in 2022.)

Did I forget any, or are these three teams all that remain?

What's wrong with the name "Blackhawks"?  It was a name given to a US Army infantry division in WWI, with respect given to a brave and honourable Sauk chief, whose name was "Black Hawk".  There was no derogatory motive, whatsoever.  It was a tribute to a great Native American leader. The Sac and Fox Tribe has its members split on whether or not the team name and logo should be changed.  The State of Illinois lists Chief Black Hawk as a state historical hero, and wants the name to remain.  I think it's the best logo in The NHL.  I worked for Canadian First Nation and US Native American tribes for over 10 years, and became friendly with Russell Means and other people in The Native American Movement.  And yet, I'd like to see The Blackhawks keep their name and logo.

bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »

Black Hawks uniform and logo easily the best and coolest in the NHL, among the best and coolest in any sport. I'm personally torn on the re-naming of all of these teams. On the one hand, being a traditionalist, I'd prefer teams keep the names they've had for eons. same reason as a fan, I dislike free agency. On the other hand, one does not want to be disrespectful to First Nation/Native Americans. probably best to effectively plebiscite the issue with those groups and then follow their wishes. If a 50-50-ish result, then it's a tougher call.

The economist in me certainly sees why fee agency makes sense, even if the fan in me doesn't like it. 
JoeC

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »

I don't equate "Redskins" with these other names. Even there, though, Washington owner Dan Snyder commissioned a supposedly impartial poll of Native Americans and reported that an overwhelmimg majority of those surveyed had no issue with the team continuing with Redskins.

More scandal (sexual harassment) with the team mgt, and the national politics, this time around were too much to fight and the name was dropped. That survey was effective, though, at the time, in pretty much shutting down name opponents' arguments.
doctordoowop

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 11:12:15 PM »

Agree with Robb-Chief Blackhawk  was asked &  was leased to say yes.Way back in1926.

I have 3 Blackhawkj  jerseys.  Red,white & black. Always gets a comment & is best logo,period.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: