DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:00:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Henry Aaron
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Aaron  (Read 1212 times)
doctordoowop

« on: January 22, 2021, 07:22:58 PM »

RIP. Have a great photo of Hank  Clemente & Willie.   Too much can be said-but  dont like that he added to HRs as a DH.  Are  there BB cards that show him playing 2B? 

Why in LA  do  they keep playing the  Milo Hamilton call  of 715. Scully called it too--on TV against Al Downing.
bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »

I'm also in LA and have heard nothing but Vin - maybe from national channels as I flip back and forth. Aaron was always one of my favorites, except when he played my Mets whom he regularly pulverized.   
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »

RIP, Hank. You were the best all-round hitter I ever saw.

I recall Hank playing some 2B with the Braves in 1955. As Robb pointed out to me when I mentioned this, that just showed how desperate the Braves were in the mid 50s to find a good 2B. Danny O'Connell, Jack Dittmer, etc., just didn't cut it! Eventually, they got Red Schoendienst.

I saw Hank play in person twice in my life. One was Game 2 of the 1957 World Series in Yankee Stadium. Hank went 1-4 with a triple in the first inning off starter Bobby Shantz. I've still got the program.

The other time was also in 1957, against the NY Giants, across the river at the Polo Grounds. Hank went 0-4 against Al Worthington and Marv Grissom that day.

How about Mobile, Alabama as a baseball city?  Home to the Aarons, Billy Williams, Willie McCovey, Amos Otis, Satchel Paige, Cleon Jones, Frank Bolling, and Jake Peavy. Plus, Ozzie Smith was born there. Not too shabby.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 01:32:35 AM »

I recall Hank playing some 2B with the Braves in 1955. As Robb pointed out to me when I mentioned this, that just showed how desperate the Braves were in the mid 50s to find a good 2B. Danny O'Connell, Jack Dittmer, etc., just didn't cut it! Eventually, they got Red Schoendienst.

I saw Hank play in person twice in my life. One was Game 2 of the 1957 World Series in Yankee Stadium. Hank went 1-4 with a triple in the first inning off starter Bobby Shantz. I've still got the program.

The other time was also in 1957, against the NY Giants, across the river at the Polo Grounds. Hank went 0-4 against Al Worthington and Marv Grissom that day.

How about Mobile, Alabama as a baseball city?  Home to the Aarons, Billy Williams, Willie McCovey, Amos Otis, Satchel Paige, Cleon Jones, Frank Bolling, and Jake Peavy. Plus, Ozzie Smith was born there. Not too shabby.

Hank was my favourite baseball player of all time, slightly ahead of Ernie Banks,Ted Williams, Stan Musial, and Warren Spahn.  He was agreat man, all around and struck me as a very congenial, sincere person.  He did a lot for young people, and civil rights in USA. He'll me missed, and long remembered by a lot of people.

bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »

And Milt Bolling too, no?  Grin
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »

Mike, yes! The older brother.
doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 11:52:38 PM »

mike--on KNX just Milo.   Doesnt Hank & brother Tommie hold record for most HRs by brothers?   Think Tommie had about 12.
doctordoowop

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »

Father-son is Bobby & Barry Bonds.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:46 PM »

mike--on KNX just Milo.   Doesnt Hank & brother Tommie hold record for most HRs by brothers?   Think Tommie had about 12.   

They DID until Barry Bonds went crazy hitting ridiculous numbers of home runs.  Bobby helped his duo more than Tommy helped Hank's.

doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 06:34:00 AM »

Robb-agree completely.
bklynmike101

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »

Ken Sr. and Jr. Griffey must also be up there on the leader board.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: