DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 09:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Dodger Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dodger Trivia  (Read 1174 times)
doctordoowop

« on: January 24, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »

Who was the Dodger pitcher proximately involved   with these 2 iconic games?  He pitched  a shutout  the  game BEFORE  "THe Shot Heard Round the World" in 1951,  and a shutout the game AFTER  Larsen's perfect WS game in 1956.

Hint:retired Musial 49 consecutive times!  Not sure if in whole career  or just  a long stretch.

Joe,mike or Robb may get it.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »

Not looking anything up.

I gotta say Erskine.
doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:33:45 PM »

Good guess but no.  The pitcher told me about it in Dodger camp.   Pro athletes only brag in private.
bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:31:08 PM »

My first guess would have been Erskine. But now,  my first instinct was Preacher Roe, but upon further reflection, playing the odds, given his fabulous '56 season, I've got to go with Newk. Don Newcombe is my official logical best guess.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 11:36:27 PM »

I'll go with Don Newcombe.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:39:40 PM »

Duplicate post

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 11:49:54 PM »

53 was Roes last yr. Newcombe good try.

Hint--u'll  get it now.   Mostly   a reliever. If more hints are needed will wait for a couple more tries.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 12:24:21 AM »

53 was Roes last yr. Newcombe good try.

Hint--u'll  get it now.   Mostly   a reliever. If more hints are needed will wait for a couple more tries. 

Why are most of these quizzes about The Yankees and The Dodgers .......... the 2 teams that I HATED  the most BY FAR.  I tried hard to forget everything about them.  Why don't we have some quizzes about The St. Louis Browns or The Philadelphia A'[s or The Chicago Cubs, or Washington Nationals/Senators, or The Cincinnati Reds/Redlegs when they were bad? 

Answer: Clem Labine? I remember he was a reliever in 1956. 

I don't remember details from Yankee/Dodger World Series that occurred when I lived in Canada, and had left Chicago by early September, so we could return to school on time.  It was around 1959 that we Winnipeggers were first able to pick up US TV channels from Duluth.  But it wouldn't have mattered.  As I hated both The Dodgers and Yankees, I wouldn't have watched it if I could, as I'd be angry to see either team win it.  The Yankees ruined my young life as a White Sox fan.  The Cubs were never good back then, so it didn't hurt quite as bad, but I enjoyed seeing The Braves win the pennant twice during The Dodgers' peak.   The Braves were my 3rd favourite team after The 2 Chicagos, but they took over The Cubs' spot, as I could imagine The Cubs NEVER being a contender in my lifetime.  They won The Pennant in 1945,  and I was born in 1946.  They were alread TERRIBLE  in 1952, when I started following Baseball. while making our usual summer visit to Chicago.

doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 06:32:50 AM »

Clem Labine--CORRECT.Pitched complete game shutouts in each game.  Was also on 1960  Pirates & 62 Mets!
bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »

I had thought of Clem but did not  think he had been on the Dodgers as early as '49....seeing as how he was born in '26 (if memory serves). One time, I wrote to him in his native Rhode Island, not something I've done except maybe 2-3x, because my girlfriend at the time was from Rhode island and I thought it'd be cute. To my surprise, I received both an autograph and kind note. Light green '59 Topps card.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »

I remember that card. Clem was a true  gentleman--and a favorite at adult camps. Was a bit surprised when he was the answer to those 2 trivia questions--that he  asked me..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: