DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2021, 08:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89635 Posts in 9815 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  More Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Baseball Trivia  (Read 9157 times)
JoeC

« on: January 25, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »

Per Robb's request for something other than NY- or LA-centric. Clues now, or forthcoming, as needed:

1. "Trader" Frank Lane came over from the StL Cards in 1957 to be the Indians' GM. He was "ridden out of town on a rail" for trading two extremely popular, long-time Cardinals. Name the two players (a lefty pitcher and an infielder).

2. This very young player was traded by Pittsburgh to StL for Bill Virdon before the 1956 season. He was supposed to be the Cards starting CF for the next 10 years. Didn't work out that way at all as he was traded to the Cubs in 1957. Light-hitting, fast and a big defensive plus! Later played briefly for the NYY, Phillies and A's (1957-65).

3. What StL pitcher was considered the best in the game at coming off the mound to field bunts. He got his nickname from that fielding prowess. A lefty starting pitcher with the Cards from the early 40s through 1952. Long-time pitching coach with the Orioles in the 50s and 60s.

4. A subjective judgment on my part, but when I think of a great pinch hitter from the 50s and 60s, I think of this player. A catcher by trade, he played for the Phillies, Reds, Pirates and White Sox, retiring in 1967. A starting catcher for years, he held the MLB record for pinch hits until Manny Mota broke it in 1979.

5. This one, I'd guess, is primarily for Robb (anyone else, feel free). I know I'd only be able to get a few right.

Looking for the starting position lineup and starting four man rotation for the 1952 (last year) Boston Braves. The players I'm looking for may have platooned a bit but ended up starting the majority of games at their respective spots. Clues forthcoming as needed. Many went on to star in Milwaukee.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:16:22 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:44:15 PM »

Per Robb's request for something other than NY- or LA-centric. Clues now, or forthcoming, as needed:

1. "Trader" Frank Lane came over from the StL Cards in 1957 to be the Indians' GM. He was "ridden out of town on a rail" for trading two extremely popular, long-time Cardinals. Name the two players (a lefty pitcher and an infielder).

2. This very young player was traded by Pittsburgh to StL for Bill Virdon before the 1956 season. He was supposed to be the Cards starting CF for the next 10 years. Didn't work out that way at all as he was traded to the Cubs in 1957. Light-hitting, fast and a big defensive plus! Later played briefly for the NYY, Phillies and A's (1957-65).

3. What StL pitcher was considered the best in the game at coming off the mound to field bunts. He got his nickname from that fielding prowess. A lefty starting pitcher with the Cards from the early 40s through 1952. Long-time pitching coach with the Orioles in the 50s and 60s.

4. A subjective judgment on my part, but when I think of a great pinch hitter from the 50s and 60s, I think of this player. A catcher by trade, he played for the Phillies, Reds, Pirates and White Sox, retiring in 1967. A starting catcher for years, he held the MLB record for pinch hits until Manny Mota broke it in 1979.

5. starting position lineup and starting four man rotation for the 1952 (last year) Boston Braves. The players I'm looking for may have platooned a bit but ended up starting the majority of games at their respective spots. Clues forthcoming as needed. Many went on to star in Milwaukee.

1) Harvey Haddix and Red Schoendienst

2) Bobby Del GFreco, who was a highly-touted bonus baby with The Pirates, and who was one of the worst busts in Baseball history.

3) Harry "The Cat" Brecheen - He got the name, "The Cat", from his great timing in getting a quick jump, and pouncing on bunts

4) Smokey Burgess

5) The Braves were my second favourite NL team - even in their last year in Boston (retroactively, as I adopted them in 1953, when they moved to Milwaukee and surprised everyone with their 2nd Place finish):

C Walker Cooper
1B Earl Torgeson (Starter-but got hurt) - and George (Catfish) Metkovich - moved from OF to replace him
2B Sibby Sisti and Jack Dittmer platooned
3B Eddie Matthews  (solid rookie season)
SS Johnny Logan
LF Willard Marshall (started the season as starter - age caught up with him- he was traded off in the also-ran fire sale) The season had a gaggle of different players I can't remember-never established a regular- none were noteworthy
CF Sam Jethroe - (super fast ex Negro Leaguer, who led NL in SB)
RF Sid Gordon

Starter 1 Warren Spahn
Starter 2 Max Surkont
Starter 3 Vern Bickford
Starter 4 Jim Wilson
Reliever  Lou Burdette
Other      Johnny Antonelli  (had to leave to serve in The Military)
Other      Ernie Johnson
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:08:28 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »

If Harry Brecheen was "The Cat" , who was "The Hat"?  Who was his brother?  What was HIS nickname?  What did the 2 of them have in common related to their work?  What is the brother most famous for nowadays?

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »

If Harry Brecheen was "The Cat" , who was "The Hat"?  Who was his brother?  What was HIS nickname?  What did the 2 of them have in common related to their work?  What is the brother most famous for nowadays?

JoeC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »

Robb, well, you made short work of that exercise.

As for the 1952 Boston Braves, the info I have is that Bob Thorpe replaced Willard Marshall in the Braves OF and played 81 games alongside Jethroe and Gordon. Thorpe played in Boston and Milwaukee from 1951-53.

Speaking of Sam Jethroe, I saw him play a lot in the International League with the old AAA Toronto Maple Leafs. This was in the mid-50s, when Sam was in his late 30s (at least). He terrorized the Intl League with his hitting, base running, steals and defense. Even had some power! I still can't believe he couldn't have still been an upgrade to any number of big league clubs then.

"The Hat" had to be Harry Walker, right? Was Dixie Walker his brother? Even if I'm right, I can't answer the other part of your question.

One back at you -- Wasn't Harvey Haddix's nickname with the Cards, "The Kitten"? Was that related to Brecheen in some way? I don't know the answer.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »

As for the 1952 Boston Braves, the info I have is that Bob Thorpe replaced Willard Marshall in the Braves OF and played 81 games alongside Jethroe and Gordon. Thorpe played in Boston and Milwaukee from 1951-53.

Speaking of Sam Jethroe, I saw him play a lot in the International League with the old AAA Toronto Maple Leafs. This was in the mid-50s, when Sam was in his late 30s (at least). He terrorized the Intl League with his hitting, base running, steals and defense. Even had some power! I still can't believe he couldn't have still been an upgrade to any number of big league clubs then.

"The Hat" had to be Harry Walker, right? Was Dixie Walker his brother? Even if I'm right, I can't answer the other part of your question.

2) One back at you -- Wasn't Harvey Haddix's nickname with the Cards, "The Kitten"? Was that related to Brecheen in some way? I don't know the answer.

1) Yes, Harry was "The Hat", and  Dixie Walker was Harry's brother.  The interesting fact is that both of them won The NL batting crown (in different years).  Both were excellent hitters.  Unfortunately, today, Dixie is mostly known for refusing to play for a team that would have a "Negro" as a player, and demanded to be traded.  Rickey traded him to Pittsburgh the next day.

2) Yes, Harvey Haddix was "The Kitten", meaning That Brecheen, the elder, was "The Cat", Harvey, the younger, was the "little" or younger version of The Cat.  Haddix was tall and rangy, with long arms.  So, maybe his grabbing bunt attempts, quickly, with his long arm, was a close 2nd to The Cat's  quick grabbing on his pouncing?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:51:33 AM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »

Good stuff on the Walkers, and Haddix.

Different subject: I was watching the MLB channel today, a show featuring shots from the 1957 and 1960 World Series.

- I thought I recalled County Stadium in Milwaukee having a standard-height chainlink fence in the outfield (Center and Right, for sure). The old film confirmed that. All I can think of as a rationale was they wanted to shorten the distances. And, do it cheaply! Looks very bush-league for a major league park. Dangerous, to boot.

- I'd forgotten the ball Bill Virdon hit to short in the 8th inning of the 1960 WS. It bounded up and hit Tony Kubek squarely in the throat. He went down like a ton of bricks and had to leave the game. That was a double play ball, had it not taken that bad hop. Of course, that allowed Hal Smith to put the Pirates up 9-7, going into the 9th.

- Also, the shots of the Forbes Field infield show it to be a VERY choppy dirt surface. I suspect all major league infields of that time were like Forbes -- a far cry from the manicured grounds we are used to seeing in recent times.

- Speaking of Kubek, he grew up and lived after baseball in Appleton, WI -- a stones throw from County Stadium.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 02:01:07 AM »

One back at you -- Wasn't Harvey Haddix's nickname with the Cards, "The Kitten"? Was that related to Brecheen in some way? I don't know the answer.

I Faintly remember Thorpe as a Braves' prospect, who hardly played at all for The Braves in Milwaukee.  I don't remember him EVER having a baseball card.  I looked up his record.  He only played 37 total games with Milwaukee in '53,and was never again in the majors.  No wonder I didn't suspect him as a member of the 1952 Boston Brave OF platoon. 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 02:18:34 AM »

What NL team had 5 years in a row scoring over 900 runs and batting over .300 as a whole team?

doctordoowop

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 06:30:45 AM »

Joe-w/o seeing otheranswers-

3-Brecheen

4-Burgess.
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »

Robb-which pitcher forgot to cover 1b in that big inning on a Clemente grounder.?BTW Roberto got a hit in every WS game he played 1960 &  was it 1971?

The Hat managed I think the Asros for a awhile.

Ernie Johnson SR. Son announces  BB &  MCs TNT hoops.
doctordoowop

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 06:44:01 AM »

Speaking of hoops dont forget 6-8 Gene Conley of Celts & Braves. Reminds meof Ron Reed--Braves & Hawks. Trivia-what injury ended Reeds career.Hint-at home..
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 06:45:15 AM »

Joe-dont forget PH Jerry Lynch-had record for a few yrs.
doctordoowop

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »

Joe-the Steelers used Forbes and already prob had a couple games. That was in the days of Bears s in Wrigley, Chi Cardinals in Comiskey, Eagles in Shibe, Gianta went from Polo to YS in 56,  GB a couple a yr in County, Lions in Tiger,(orBrig s)  etc etc.

Besides SF & LA did any other NFL team  play in a non BB stadium?
bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »

Speaking of hoops dont forget 6-8 Gene Conley of Celts & Braves. Reminds meof Ron Reed--Braves & Hawks. Trivia-what injury ended Reeds career.Hint-at home..

And Steve Hamilton and Dick Groat and Chuck Connors and Danny Ainge and Dave deBuscherre, and one of the Ricketts (Dave or Dick?) and several more recent MLB/NBA players.
bklynmike101

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 12:37:33 PM »

What NL team had 5 years in a row scoring over 900 runs and batting over .300 as a whole team?

Wild guess.  1930's Phillies? They were a great hitting team that didn't win anything.
bklynmike101

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »

"Yes, Harry was "The Hat", and  Dixie Walker was Harry's brother.  The interesting fact is that both of them won The NL batting crown (in different years)."

It would be hard for both of them to have won the NL batting crown in the same year  Grin
doctordoowop

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »

I know  mike--my point  was both sports in same  city. I got Reed mixed up with Cecil Upshaw' injury.  While jumpimg in his house to touch ceiling  caught

ring on a finger on something on the ceiling &  destroyed his finger and career.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

Joe-dont forget PH Jerry Lynch-had record for a few yrs.
And don't forget Hurricane Bob Hazle!!!

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »

Wild guess.  1930's Phillies? They were a great hitting team that didn't win anything. 

No.  Not The 1930s Phillies.

JoeC

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »

Pittsburgh Pirates of the late 20s/early 30s -- with the Waners, Traynor,etc???
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 09:44:36 PM »

Pittsburgh Pirates of the late 20s/early 30s -- with the Waners, Traynor,etc???

No.  Not them.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 09:51:22 PM »

Additional question:
Which NL team (in which year) had 4 regular outfielders who ALL hit over .400 ?  (Different team from the 5 year above .300 average and 900+ Runs Scored team)

JoeC

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »

Additional question:
Which NL team (in which year) had 4 regular outfielders who ALL hit over .400 ?  (Different team from the 5 year above .300 average and 900+ Runs Scored team)
20th Century?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »

Additional question:
20th Century?   

No! ( but not all that far away)  So you are on the right track.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 11:04:36 PM »

Robb-which pitcher forgot to cover 1b in that big inning on a Clemente grounder.?BTW Roberto got a hit in every WS game he played 1960 &  was it 1971?

The Hat managed I think the Asros for a awhile.

Ernie Johnson SR. Son announces  BB &  MCs TNT hoops.

Senior also announced Braves' games their last few years in Milwaukee, and their first many years in Atlanta, as well as The Hawks games in Atlanta.  Interesting that Those same Hawks were located in Milwaukee during several years of Johnson's time as a Braves' player.  And even more interesting that they spent a lot of time in St. Louis in between, and caught up with Ernie in Atlanta, 2 years after Ernie and The Braves moved there.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 11:17:23 PM »

Another question:

Of the cities having more than one Major League team (AL & NL - so only post 1900) in their metropolitan areas in the same years: New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, St. Louis, Los Angeles,  - which CITY had the WORST COMBINED year (measured in Won/Lost % and places finished -IF they separate two candidate cities with very close percentages)?

JoeC

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »

Robb, 1939 Philadelphia teams? They lost 203 games between them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:49:38 AM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »

One more, much easier:

What do Ted Williams, Mickey Vernon and Early Wynn have in common?
bklynmike101

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »

One more, much easier:

What do Ted Williams, Mickey Vernon and Early Wynn have in common?

All were 4 decade MLB - 30's thru 60's
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: