DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 10:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  More Baseball Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Baseball Trivia  (Read 9188 times)
JoeC

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »

Joe-it was Jim Coates-

Baker hit number 30 in last game, last AB.  Was Smith, Garvey,Cey & Baker.

The 3 Braves with 40 HRs  were Davey Johnson, Aaron &  Darrell Evans. If memory serves. Now I'lll  look  u-to be sure.
Forgot all about Coates in that game. Good question!

I saw Coates pitch some for the AAA Richmond Virginians in the late 50s I think. The NYY had two AAA farm teams back then --  the Denver Bears and the Richmond Virginians. Despite the geography, Denver got the top prospects on their way up (or down). Richmond got players like Jim Coates, Jerry Lumpe, Bob Wiesler and Bill Renna. Luke Appling managed the club in the mid-50s (before Coates and Lumpe).

Loved going to those AAA games because the quality of play was very good and you were so close to the field it was easy to see faces and actually hear chatter. Have lasting memories of seeing Sam Jethro, Luke Easter, Mike Goliat, Pancho Herrera, Loren Babe, Johnny Lipon, and others  coming into Richmond to play the Vee's (as they were known).  

The visiting teams were:

Montreal Royals
Toronto Maple Leafs
Havana Sugar Kings
Buffalo Bisons
Miami Marlins
Rochester Red Wings
Columbus Jets

The Havana Sugar Kings were not formally affiliated with a big league club (think in '58 they hooked up with the Reds, until Castro) but had Yo-Yo Davalillo, Elio Chacon, Mike Cuellar, Tony Gonzalez, Rogelio Alvarez, Jose Santiago and Sandy Consuegra (who could still baffle batters in his late 30s or older).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:33:25 AM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »

Braves did it in 73. Dodgers in 77.  Only other team to have 3 40 HR guys was Rockies twice.[I dont count that] No roids & ball not juiced in 70s.. Not sure if any other team  matched the Dodgers  feat.
I had my main residence in The Netherlands, but was mainly in Africa and Asia, and on First Nation and Native American reservations during The 1970s.  I may have seen a US Worldwide newspaper printed in Paris a handful of times during winter, during that decade, but it wouldn't have had any baseball news.  Same was true for the early '80s. Mid '80s to a year and a half ago, I still lived in Europe, and just spent a couple of months in Canada and USA, but had no connection to baseball, whatsoever.  I didn't even see nor hear the World Series results.  I couldn't tell you what franchises existed, or even name 5 players from that entire era. I've spent the last year in USA, and don't even know what 2 teams were in the last World series, or if The Cubs and White Sox still exist, and if they do, if they are still in Chicago.

bklynmike101

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »

Joe,

For whatever reason, I've always been partial to the forgotten ones in baseball from my youth - the scrubs, the obscure, or the merely no longer remembered. And so, I could not help but smile at the names you posted, forgotten except when I look at my baseball card inventory - Coates (red '60), Lumpe (green '60), Pancho Herrera (Orange hued Rookie card '60), Vic Davalillo (think he had a brother who played a few games in MLB too) , Chacon (blue '60), Tony Gonzales (black '60), Cuellar (blue '60), and more.

Pancho had at least one big year, then seemed to disappear. I wonder what his story was.  Another one who had early success, but supposedly ate himself out of MLB (per a story I recall), was Ed Bouchee. I believe Bouchee made it onto the Mets roster for a moment or two.

Coates had a few seasons in which he had a fantastic W-L record, as a (mostly) middle reliever, in part due to the prodigious Yankee bats behind him. 
JoeC

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »

Joe,

For whatever reason, I've always been partial to the forgotten ones in baseball from my youth - the scrubs, the obscure, or the merely no longer remembered. And so, I could not help but smile at the names you posted, forgotten except when I look at my baseball card inventory - Coates (red '60), Lumpe (green '60), Pancho Herrera (Orange hued Rookie card '60), Vic Davalillo (think he had a brother who played a few games in MLB too) , Chacon (blue '60), Tony Gonzales (black '60), Cuellar (blue '60), and more.

Pancho had at least one big year, then seemed to disappear. I wonder what his story was.  Another one who had early success, but supposedly ate himself out of MLB (per a story I recall), was Ed Bouchee. I believe Bouchee made it onto the Mets roster for a moment or two.

Coates had a few seasons in which he had a fantastic W-L record, as a (mostly) middle reliever, in part due to the prodigious Yankee bats behind him.  
Mike, Sometimes I have to wonder whether I'm really recalling seeing a particular obscure player on the field, or just remembering his baseball card. I really was into buying those nickel packs of cards in the mid 50s. 1955 and 1956 were my main years of collecting -- the 55 Bowman TV cards, and the great 1956 Topps set. I certainly credit any knowledge I retain of the 50s to those baseball cards. Had I not collected or studied them religiously ....

Ed Bouchee I recall from the 1956 Miami Marlins in the Int'l League and, of course, from the Phillies, Cubs and Mets.

This was the 1959 Richmond Virginians lineup (from an old program I still have). See how many you recall (these were all Yankees farmhands):

1B- Frank Leja
2B- Mike Baxes/Fritz Brickell
SS- Clete Boyer
3B - Deron Johnson
OF- Jim Pisoni
OF- Bob Martyn
OF- Jack Reed
C- Darrell Johnson/Billy Shantz

Pitchers - Bob Wiesler, Eli Grba, Bill Stafford, Jim Bronstad

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:49:59 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 09:35:31 PM »

Mike, Sometimes I have to wonder whether I'm really recalling seeing a particular obscure player on the field, or just remembering his baseball card. I really was into buying those nickel packs of cards in the mid 50s. 1955 and 1956 were my main years of collecting -- the 55 Bowman TV cards, and the great 1956 Topps set. I certainly credit any knowledge I retain of the 50s to those baseball cards. Had I not collected or studied them religiously ....

Ed Bouchee I recall from the 1956 Miami Marlins in the Int'l League and, of course, from the Phillies, Cubs and Mets.

This was the 1959 Richmond Virginians lineup (from an old program I still have). See how many you recall (these were all Yankees farmhands):

1B- Frank Leja
SS- Clete Boyer
3B - Deron Johnson
OF- Jim Pisoni
OF- Bob Martyn
OF- Jack Reed

I remember ALL of those players from their baseball cards.  

1) What was Mike Baxes known for - if anything?  

2) What was fairly unusual about Billy Shantz?

3) Name the 3 highest quality (most well-rounded) MLB brother batteries during the Live Ball ERA.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:44:45 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2021, 08:01:08 AM »

1B- Frank Leja
SS- Clete Boyer
3B - Deron Johnson
OF- Jim Pisoni
OF- Bob Martyn
OF- Jack Reed

3) Name the 3 highest quality (most well-rounded) MLB brother batteries during the Live Ball ERA.

1. Don't know anything about what Baxes might've been known for.

2. Billy was a LOT taller than brother Bobby. That's all that comes to mind.

3. Other "Brother batteries": Only other one I know is Larry and Norm Sherry

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:29:21 AM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »

Couple questions back at everyone.

1. Jack Reed (on my AAA lineup list above) did have a very notable moment for the NYY in 1962. Anyone recall it?

2. In 1957, a right-handed White Sox starter threw a no-hitter in the second game of a doubleheader at Comiskey against the Senators. Hard to believe (even in those days) but he only struck out 1 batter of the 27 outs he recorded. A big guy (6'2, 205), he didn't make his MLB debut until age 32. Gave up a HR to Gus Bell in the 1954 All Star game (think it was his only All Star game). 16-9 in 1954 for the Sox.
bklynmike101

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »

Joe/Robb,

Jack Reed was most famous for his game winning HR in the 22 inning game in which Yogi caught the whole thing. It was his only MLB HR I believe. And I watched all 22 innings on TV!

Frank Leja was the NYY 'can't miss' bonus baby, much talked about each spring training, who never panned out.
Mike Baxes's brother Jim, had a strong rookie season at 3B for Cleveland in '59 (or maybe '60), which he never could replicate and he soon found his way out MLB
Fritz Brickell, was a 5'5" SS who never made it, having died prematurely with cancer. Sad story. Shades of Ken Hubbs and Jim Umbright.
Clete Boyer went on to a long career as brilliant fielding 3B for NYY and Atlanta. he did have a few decent years at bat, brother of the much better Ken, the older Cloyd (pitcher) and several other minor league siblings (Ron was one)
Deron Johnson was a slugger with some good seasons after the Yanks ditched him prematurely. Cincinnati comes to mind.
Pisoni and Martyn are only known to me from their earlier Bb cards; gone from the MLB scene by '59.
Reed was Mantle's 'caddy' for a few years in the early 60's; not a big league caliber batter.
Darrell Johnson was a perennial 3rd string catcher, on a sting between AAA and MLB for quite a long time. Recall him with SL Cardinals among other teams.
Wilmer, Bobby's brother, played a bit with the A's; later drifted into the NYY orbit ending up mostly as a spring training catcher. Played briefly in a few innings with the regular season NYY.

One other notable brother battery that readily comes to mind - Mort & Walker Cooper.       

Bespectacled and unpronounceable Grba played a few seasons - NYY and early Angels. Stafford had a few strong seasons in the early 60's, then got hurt and was done. I remember Bronstad in spring trainings a few years. He did play briefly in MLB without success. Wiesler I don't recall at all; possibly have a baseball card of him.     

JoeC

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »

Mike,

You nailed it on Jack Reed and that 22 inning game. I saw parts of it. The game lasted an even 7 hours!! Phil Regan gave up the 2 run HR to Reed.

Great stuff on all the other players. Did not know much of the "back stories" you provided.

Frank Leja played in the Minors until 1964. In '59, he had almost 600 ABs and hit .248 with 23 HR and 81 RBI at Richmond. In terms of his MLB stats, he had 18 plate appearances (7 with the NYY in 54-55, and 11 with the Angels in '62). Sad career.

I'd totally forgotten the Cooper brothers battery.

doctordoowop

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »

Joe-great  team in Va.

Ed Bouchee was busted for pedophilia. [They always said he had good hands]
doctordoowop

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »

Mike Baxes-believe he was 3B in 1st LA game in 1958

Cuellar was the 4th 20 game winner for O's in same season in late 60s-70? Palmer & McNally were 2 more. Forget third. But Cuellar is the usual  stumper.
doctordoowop

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »

On KABC-TV  in 80s Todd Donaho  did a trivia question after Mon Nite football.  My 1st question won me a prize-[1st soccer style kicker-Pete Gogolak]. I chatted a bit with Todd later on an airplane-I stumped him with who was on deck when  Thomsen hit his shot in 1951.[Mays]. Then he asked me a question --1st WS game with all  games played WEST of   Miss River. I guessed 65-Twins -LA-but MN is East oftheriver.

Answer?
JoeC

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2021, 05:50:40 PM »

Mike Baxes-believe he was 3B in 1st LA game in 1958

Cuellar was the 4th 20 game winner for O's in same season in late 60s-70? Palmer & McNally were 2 more. Forget third. But Cuellar is the usual  stumper.
Your "missing" 20 game winner with the O's is Pat Dobson! Palmer was the last of the four to reach 20 wins.
JoeC

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2021, 05:55:07 PM »

On KABC-TV  in 80s Todd Donaho  did a trivia question after Mon Nite football.  My 1st question won me a prize-[1st soccer style kicker-Pete Gogolak]. I chatted a bit with Todd later on an airplane-I stumped him with who was on deck when  Thomsen hit his shot in 1951.[Mays]. Then he asked me a question --1st WS game with all  games played WEST of   Miss River. I guessed 65-Twins -LA-but MN is East oftheriver.

Answer?

Doc, don't know the answer.

But ... I'm fairly sure the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, MN was NORTH/WEST of the Mississippi (the river sort of coils around there).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:58:29 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2021, 01:25:43 AM »

On KABC-TV  in 80s Todd Donaho  did a trivia question after Mon Nite football.  My 1st question won me a prize-[1st soccer style kicker-Pete Gogolak]. I chatted a bit with Todd later on an airplane-I stumped him with who was on deck when  Thomsen hit his shot in 1951.[Mays]. Then he asked me a question --1st WS game with all  games played WEST of   Miss River. I guessed 65-Twins -LA-but MN is East of the river.

Answer?

Doc, don't know the answer.

But ... I'm fairly sure the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, MN was NORTH/WEST of the Mississippi (the river sort of coils around there).
Isn't St. Paul east of the river, and a bigger portion of Minneapolis is west of it, with the smaller part east?  Didn't The Oakland A's play The SF Giants in The "Earthquake" World Series? 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2021, 01:30:05 AM »

Mike,

You nailed it on Jack Reed and that 22 inning game. I saw parts of it. The game lasted an even 7 hours!! Phil Regan gave up the 2 run HR to Reed.

Great stuff on all the other players. Did not know much of the "back stories" you provided.

Frank Leja played in the Minors until 1964. In '59, he had almost 600 ABs and hit .248 with 23 HR and 81 RBI at Richmond. In terms of his MLB stats, he had 18 plate appearances (7 with the NYY in 54-55, and 11 with the Angels in '62). Sad career.

I'd totally forgotten the Cooper brothers battery.

The 3 longest and strongest brother batteries in MLB in the Live Ball Era were Wes and Rick Ferrell, Mort and Walker Cooper, and The Sherrys. 

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:23 AM »

Joe,

Pancho had at least one big year, then seemed to disappear. I wonder what his story was.  Another one who had early success, but supposedly ate himself out of MLB (per a story I recall), was Ed Bouchee. I believe Bouchee made it onto the Mets roster for a moment or two.

Bouchee was a highly touted prospect with The Cubs, and had som good years with them and The Phillies. Tony Gonzalez and Vic Davallillo were excellent hitters, who had good MLB careers.  They weren't obscure at all.  Cuellar was almost always the first or second best pitcher on his team, and an All Star at times.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2021, 01:43:08 AM »

1B- Frank Leja
SS- Clete Boyer
3B - Deron Johnson
OF- Jim Pisoni
OF- Bob Martyn
OF- Jack Reed

1. Don't know anything about what Baxes might've been known for.

2. Billy was a LOT taller than brother Bobby. That's all that comes to mind.

3. Other "Brother batteries": Only other one I know is Larry and Norm Sherry

Mike Baxes was VERY obscure.  He was known for being Jim's brother, and little else.

Billy Shantz, along with brother Bobby, were in a tiny group of "brother batteries", who played together in same games on the same teams while in The Majors.  The other long-term MLB brother batteries were Wes and Rick Farrell, and Mort and Walker Cooper.

bklynmike101

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:51 PM »

Robb,

I think you and I have a different interpretation of what constitutes an "obscure" baseball player, my definition being much broader than yours. One way to think of it, what percentage of self-professed baseball fans would know something about the player in question? Less than x % = obscure. some of the obscurity has to do with age/era. The vast majority of baseball fans know Ruth, Cobb, Musial, Williams, Joe D, Jackie R. Cy Young, XX Foxx, Greenberg, Mays, Rose, et al, moving on to the Cooper's, Ferrells, Bottomely, Pie Traynor, Adcock, Sievers, et al.

But once we get around to the Eddie Bressoud's, Earl Torgeson's, Don Buddin's and the like, it gets more dicey - probably could be argued as not quite truly obscure.

Fast forward to Valmy Thomas, Rick Herscher, Zeke Bella, Hal Griggs, and Ralph Lumenti to name but a few of my era, we have fully obscure.  I would argue that Bob Boyd, Al Pilarcik, Bob Nieman, et al, all of whom were pretty good, would also be considered to be within the obscure category. I'd imagine you would differ.

That's OK. last night my wife and I had a vociferous debate as to whether or not ecology/environmental studies fall into the category of geography or not. In this domain, I take the narrower perspective (she said yes; I said no). 

Both debates are clearly of rip-roaring significance.  Wink       
doctordoowop

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »

The 1944  WS-Browns-Cards.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »

The 1944  WS-Browns-Cards.
Yes, that was the other Streetcar Series.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2021, 12:32:52 AM »

I think you and I have a different interpretation of what constitutes an "obscure" baseball player, my definition being much broader than yours. One way to think of it, what percentage of self-professed baseball fans would know something about the player in question? Less than x % = obscure. some of the obscurity has to do with age/era. The vast majority of baseball fans know Ruth, Cobb, Musial, Williams, Joe D, Jackie R. Cy Young, XX Foxx, Greenberg, Mays, Rose, et al, moving on to the Cooper's, Ferrells, Bottomely, Pie Traynor, Adcock, Sievers, et al.

But once we get around to the Eddie Bressoud's, Earl Torgeson's, Don Buddin's and the like, it gets more dicey - probably could be argued as not quite truly obscure.

Fast forward to Valmy Thomas, Rick Herscher, Zeke Bella, Hal Griggs, and Ralph Lumenti to name but a few of my era, we have fully obscure.  I would argue that Bob Boyd, Al Pilarcik, Bob Nieman, et al, all of whom were pretty good, would also be considered to be within the obscure category.

Last night my wife and I had a vociferous debate as to whether or not ecology/environmental studies fall into the category of geography or not. In this domain, I take the narrower perspective (she said yes; I said no).  

Both debates are clearly of rip-roaring significance.  Wink        

BOB NIEMAN is obscure to current under age 65 people.  But I don't consider him obscure, because he was a regular outfielder in The Major Leagues (mostly AL) for 10 years, and had over 1100 hits, and a lifetime ML BA of  .295, and hit over .320 twice, and over .300 4 times, and had decent power 15-20 HRs per full season, and he was a clutch hitter.  Anyone who followed Baseball during the 1950s would remember him (like they would Gene Woodling, Earl Torgeson, Elmer Valo, Dave Philley, etc.)  NONE of them are obscure out of context, because they were all well-known to fans of their time.  Yes, they are obscure to current non-Superfans.  Bob Boyd had a shorter career in MLB (but he played, before that, in The Negro Leagues).  And he was also quite a decent hitter (.293 lifetime BA), and was NOT "obscure" during his time. He was already 31 when first making The Majors, but didn't become a regular until age 37!!!!  

I agree that ecology/environmental Studies is a component of Geography in its wider sense, and NOT within its narrower sense.  By the way, I invented that University Major course of study (out of thin air) in 1964, with a composite of courses from each, and degrees from some, at U. of British Columbia, and 1965-1969 at UCLA, and 1970-1971 at UCLA Graduate School of Management/School of Architecture & Urban Planning/Graduate School of Engineering/UCLA School of Law(International and National Environmental Law, and Torts Law)/ and Geography Dept.(Meteorology and Climatology).   -   Is that your wife's field?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:36:06 AM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »

Mike, I thought the same when I saw Nieman mentioned with Pilarcik, Boyd, et. al. Nieman was in a different class of player.

I think who is obscure and who's not has much to do with what a fan actually lived through. I consider my "sweet spot" mini-era to be 1955-59. I know a lot of names from, say, 1945-49 but it would be hard for me to say with any confidence who -- beyond the real stars -- was considered to be at different levels of regard from back then.
bklynmike101

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2021, 12:41:21 PM »

Joe/Robb,

I take not any exception to your well-reasoned arguments.  Grin

Robb,

As to my wife, she is a UCLA-degreed PHD in economics, but enjoys a wide range of inter-disciplinary thinking, much broader and deeper than mine.  One of our sons did graduate from UBC up in Vancouver - beautiful campus. Your academic credentials, work history, and span of interests is nothing short of incredible. Me, I'm just a kid from Brooklyn, who once had a Bobby Shantz model glove, and then moved on to a Curt Simmons model. Couldn't catch all that well with either. Angry
JoeC

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »

Joe/Robb,

I take not any exception to your well-reasoned arguments.  Grin

Robb,

As to my wife, she is a UCLA-degreed PHD in economics, but enjoys a wide range of inter-disciplinary thinking, much broader and deeper than mine.  One of our sons did graduate from UBC up in Vancouver - beautiful campus. Your academic credentials, work history, and span of interests is nothing short of incredible. Me, I'm just a kid from Brooklyn, who once had a Bobby Shantz model glove, and then moved on to a Curt Simmons model. Couldn't catch all that well with either. Angry

Mike, Yes, but you graduated from Stuyvesant HS if I recall, and to me that is as good as a Harvard degree!  Grin Go Peglegs! Wonder if that's still the nickname or it has been dropped as too offensive?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:54:48 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »

Joe/Robb,

Robb,

As to my wife, she is a UCLA-degreed PHD in economics, but enjoys a wide range of inter-disciplinary thinking, much broader and deeper than mine.  One of our sons did graduate from UBC up in Vancouver - beautiful campus. Your academic credentials, work history, and span of interests is nothing short of incredible. Me, I'm just a kid from Brooklyn, who once had a Bobby Shantz model glove, and then moved on to a Curt Simmons model. Couldn't catch all that well with either. Angry

Mike, Yes, but you graduated from Stuyvesant HS if I recall, and to me that is as good as a Harvard degree!  Grin Go Peglegs! Wonder if that's still the nickname or it has been dropped as too offensive?

We are still Peglegs. And our athletic teams play as such (at least they did back in my day). One exception, Haywood Dotson, star of our basketball team (2 years ahead of me), who went on to star with Columbia U and was drafted by both ABA and NBA teams. Sadly, he passed away last year.
JoeC

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »

Joe/Robb,

Robb,

We are still Peglegs. And our athletic teams play as such (at least they did back in my day). One exception, Haywood Dotson, star of our basketball team (2 years ahead of me), who went on to star with Columbia U and was drafted by both ABA and NBA teams. Sadly, he passed away last year.
The list of notable Stuy alums is LENGTHY (as you know). Were you aware Marv Goldberg (of music history fame, and often cited on doo wop threads here) was one?
bklynmike101

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »

Joe/Robb,

Robb,

The list of notable Stuy alums is LENGTHY (as you know). Were you aware Marv Goldberg (of music history fame, and often cited on doo wop threads here) was one?

Joe, Yes I'm aware that Marv, author of so many fantastic articles, is a fellow alum. There used to be another alum on this board, based in Colorado as I recall, who wrote extremely detailed and long and knowledgeable posts,  but with quite an edge. One day he announced he was thru and so he was. 
doctordoowop

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »

Joe--add Jim Kaat to the 4 decade boys.
bklynmike101

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »

Tim McCarver too. Minnie Minoso played in 5 decades, albeit with a little bit of publicity hooey thrown in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: