DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 11:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  1934 All Star Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1934 All Star Game  (Read 714 times)
JoeC

« on: February 18, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »

Great little 4 minute batting/fielding practice video (no sound) that clearly identifies all the players! Only player I'd never heard of was Travis Jackson. The stadium you see is the Polo Grounds.

Ruth looked big but in shape (near the end of his career). Chuck Klein had a sweet-looking left-handed swing (hit .368 the previous year).

Was surprised at how small Frankie Frisch appeared to be (loved that old StL Cardinal jersey -- classic, you can see it on Medwick too). Cooperstown lists the Fordham Flash as 5'11, 160. On film, looks much smaller to me. More Rizzuto-ish. When I was a kid in NY, Frisch had a Saturday morning TV show for kids. He also did NY Giants post-game TV in the mid-50s. Rizzuto's first TV job after the NYY stabbed him in the back was to replace Frisch on the NYG gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWC3K8SPTuM&t=5s
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:33:42 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:49:42 PM »

Really enjoyed that. My takeaway observation is how relatively modern the players and uniforms looked compared to today's, given we're going back almost 90 years now. My recollection from the last time I watched the Ken Burns film was somewhat different. 
JoeC

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »

Mike,

In terms of the uniforms, now that I watch this again I think the unis of 1934 do look more "modern" than the uniforms of the 1950s, which seem a lot more "baggy" in comparison. Could also be a factor of players wearing their socks up higher, which gave the pants a different look. Also, a NYY white pinstripe home uni always seemed to me to make a player look better than the gray, non-pinstripped version.

All the older unis were wool which retained a lot of heat. They must've been horrible to play those 100 degree games in mid-summer. Wasn't until the 70s they went to double-knits.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:32:18 PM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »

Joe,

As a kid, I wanted to have an "authentic" baseball uniform so badly. My dad held out for a while - $$$ issue - but eventually I got a "full" (not authentic at all) uniform. Much to my chagrin, it was 100% wool, not all that great for our 90% humidity in NYC August summers.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:55:14 PM »

Mike,

In terms of the uniforms, now that I watch this again I think the unis of 1934 do look more "modern" than the uniforms of the 1950s, which seem a lot more "baggy" in comparison. Could also be a factor of players wearing their socks up higher, which gave the pants a different look. Also, a NYY white pinstripe home uni always seemed to me to make a player look better than the gray, non-pinstripped version.

All the older unis were wool which retained a lot of heat. They must've been horrible to play those 100 degree games in mid-summer. Wasn't until the 70s they went to double-knits.

It would have been a nightmare, playing in those woolies at 103 degrees F and 99% humidity, in the shade, and 135-140 in the sun in St. Louis, or in the southern cities in The American Association, or The Southern Association, or The Sally League, in mid summer.  I'd have died of heat prostration and dehydration.  I'm a polar bear.  I sweat at 70 degrees F, at REST!  I never use a heater in my houses in Denmark, Germany, or The Netherlands, unless it gets below about 34 degrees F (don't want to let the pipes freeze).  My favourite ambient temperature is 15-20 degrees F.  I thought I'd start getting less able to stand the cold when I'd get old.  But that never happened.

My older cousin was farmhand in The St. Louis Browns' system from '49-'52.  He played in Muskogee Oklahoma, and Springfield, Mo.  I think he played a couple games in The AA in San Antonio.  Those places are horribly hot in mid summer.  I think it would have been a death sentence for me to wear wool in such heat.  I always wondered how all those Brothers wore all black leather outfits in the heat of summer, including jackets, in Chicago. 

doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 01:18:13 AM »

Dont forget Laraine Day-did Giant pre=game shows.- 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: