DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2021, 11:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89671 Posts in 9825 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  US/Canada Professional Major League Sports Teams' Name Quiz
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: US/Canada Professional Major League Sports Teams' Name Quiz  (Read 1212 times)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:45 PM »

1) Name the cities who had the same team name on major league teams in 2 or more different major professional sports (Baseball, US & Canadian Football, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Soccer) in the same city during the same year/s, and the years that situation existed.

2) Name those that met the same criteria, but the 2  didn't ever exist in the same year.

1876 - Present: Baseball:  NL, American Association (1882-1891), Players' League (1890), AL, Federal League (1914-15); Football:  NFL, All America Conference (1945-1949), AFL, CFL; Hockey: NHL, PCHA(1913-1926), WHA; Basketball: ABL, BAA, NBL, NBA, ABL, ABA - If you know of any Major League professional Soccer team names that neet the criteria of these questions, add them as well.  I don't even remember the name of 1 US Major League pro Soccer team.

3) Name the same team name used by major league professional teams in 2 different leagues of the same sport, at different times.

4) Name the same team name used by major league professional teams in 2 or more different sports.

doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »

Just wat comes  to mind  1-NY Giants
2-Roch Royals  + Cinn +KC
-Syracuse Nats & DC
Rangers NY &  TX
Islanders Hawaii  & NY

Dallas  & Ok st  Cowboys
Indians-Stanford, Cleve
Cardinals SL

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:45 PM »

#4 from the list above

Cardinals - St Louis (baseball) and Chicago/Arizona (football)

Browns - St Louis (baseball) and Cleveland (football)

Rangers - NY (hockey) and Texas (baseball)

Texans - Dallas (AFL football) and Houston (NFL football)

Nationals - Washington (baseball) and Syracuse (NBA basketball)

Royals - KC (baseball) and Cincinnati/Rochester (NBA basketball)

Senators - Washington (baseball) and Ottawa (hockey)

Giants - NY/SF (baseball) and NY (football)    

Buccaneers - New Orleans (ABA basketball) and Tampa Bay (football)

Packers - Green Bay (football) and Chicago (NBA - first NBA expansion team)
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 10:50:58 PM »

Duplicate post
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:12:14 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:54:54 PM »

Just what comes  to mind  1-NY Giants
2-Roch Royals  + Cinn +KC
-Syracuse Nats & DC
Rangers
NY &  TX
Islanders Hawaii  & NY

Dallas  & Ok st  Cowboys
Indians-Stanford, Cleve
Cardinals ???SL
I didn't intend for non-professional (university or Junior college, or high school or semi-pro, or minor league pro teams to be used, only major league professional teams.  I also forgot to mention not to bother with listing franchise transfers, Like Rochester Royals to Cincinnati, and then to Kansas City.  And IF you were going to do that, you should have also listed Kansas City-Omaha Royals (and at least one year that they operated under that title).

Also when was there a "Rangers" team in D.C.? Is/was that a soccer team?  I know nothing about USA Soccer.  I've never heard of a major league sports franchise with "D.C." in the name, - only the City of Washington.

When was there a Cleveland Cardinals???  What sport?  I hope you are not referring to What happened in 1898 and 1899, when The Robison Brothers, Frank and Stanley, owners of BOTH the Cleveland and St. Louis National League franchises, after having bought The (bankrupt) St. Louis Browns from Chris von der Ahe in late 1898.  First of all, the St. Louis NL team was never called The Cardinals until 1900. They were called "The Perfectos" in 1898 and 1899.  The Cleveland team was called "The Spiders" in 1898 and 1899.  What happened was that The Robison Brothers "traded"(transferred) all their best Cleveland players to St. Louis, and sent The Perfectos' worst players to form The Cleveland Spiders' roster for their last season in 1899.  Then, in 1900. The NL contracted from 12 to 8 teams, dropping The Spiders, The Baltimore Orioles (who had also been owned by The owners of The Brooklyn Bridegrooms, who, in like fashion, transferred The Orioles' best players to The Brooklyn team, the same thing happened with The Louisville Colonels and Pittsburgh Pirates, who were owned by the same owner, who transferred the best Louisville players to Pittsburgh (including Honus Wagner), and disbanded the Louisville franchise after 1899, and the first Washington Senators' franchise.  So, the Cleveland Baseball franchise was NOT transferred to St. Louis, and there was NEVER a Cleveland Cardinals, as far as I  know.

Ha!  Ha!  Now I see that you meant Stanford Indians and Cleveland Indians went together, not that The Cleveland Cardinals moved to St. Louis.  But it's an interesting coincidence that in 1899 The Cleveland NL players moved over to the St. Louis NL team, that would first be called "The Cardinals" one year later.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:06:25 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 12:21:53 AM »

#4 from the list above

Cardinals - St Louis (baseball) and Chicago/Arizona (football)

Browns - St Louis (baseball) and Cleveland (football)

Rangers - NY (hockey) and Texas (baseball)

Texans - Dallas (AFL football) and Houston (NFL football)

Nationals - Washington (baseball) and Syracuse (NBA basketball)

Royals - KC (baseball) and Cincinnati/Rochester (NBA basketball)

Senators - Washington (baseball) and Ottawa (hockey)

Giants - NY/SF (baseball) and NY (football)    

Buccaneers - New Orleans (ABA basketball) and Tampa Bay (football)

Packers - Green Bay (football) and Chicago (NBA - first NBA expansion team)

Cardinals - St Louis (baseball) and Chicago/Arizona (football)  This answers # 2)  , but NOT the obvious answer to # 1) - which is easier, and I know you know it.  But you need to list at least 1 year when that situation existed, for each answer (if not ALL the years such a situation existed.

List the number of the question you are answering together with your answers.  Then you will remember to answer BOTH or all 3 or 4 questions that pertain to a franchise name.

This haphazard way is too difficult to know what has been answered, and what has not.  You have overlooked several easy and obvious responses.

JoeC

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:03:10 AM »

Robb,

Your questions require some thought, often a good deal of it. Hence, I plan to reply in "chunks," one question at a time, as with #4 above. Also, in terms of #4, I did not consider that my last input there. If I add new teams/cities to that list, I'll put them in bold type so you know they are "new" submissions that just occurred to me.

Since you brought up an "obvious" answer to Question 1, I omitted the St Louis NFL Cardinals (I was so focused on the Chicago Cardinals and Arizona Cardinals). Obviously, St Louis had both the baseball and football Cardinals together for many years. Same with the Boston Braves (pro football and baseball).

I'm still re-reading Questions 1, 2 and 3 to try to better sort them out in my 77 yr old mind. A good Alzheimer's test!  Grin

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:14:37 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »

I'm not sure which question this addresses since their definitions are too detailed and specific for me to parse without more brain cells than I'm willing to devote right now. That preamble done:

What about the New York Yankees NFL and MLB teams? Ditto for the Brooklyn Dodgers (I think there was an NFL team by that name)?

Of course the SL Cardinals in both MLB and NFL simultaneously.

Not sure if this fits within question 3 or not: Weren't there two completely different iterations of the Ottawa Senators in the NHL?
Similarly,  two different iterations of the Baltimore Orioles in MLB?   
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »

Robb,

Your questions require some thought, often a good deal of it. Hence, I plan to reply in "chunks," one question at a time, as with #4 above. Also, in terms of #4, I did not consider that my last input there. If I add new teams/cities to that list, I'll put them in bold type so you know they are "new" submissions that just occurred to me.

Since you brought up an "obvious" answer to Question 1, I omitted the St Louis NFL Cardinals (I was so focused on the Chicago Cardinals and Arizona Cardinals). Obviously, St Louis had both the baseball and football Cardinals together for many years. Same with the Boston Braves (pro football and baseball).

I'm still re-reading Questions 1, 2 and 3 to try to better sort them out in my 77 yr old mind. A good Alzheimer's test!  Grin
Yes!  Now you are answering exactly correct.  This is what I had in mind.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 12:50:34 PM »

I'm not sure which question this addresses since their definitions are too detailed and specific for me to parse without more brain cells than I'm willing to devote right now. That preamble done:

What about the New York Yankees NFL and MLB teams? Ditto for the Brooklyn Dodgers (I think there was an NFL team by that name)?

Of course the SL Cardinals in both MLB and NFL simultaneously.

Not sure if this fits within question 3 or not: Weren't there two completely different iterations of the Ottawa Senators in the NHL?
Similarly,  two different iterations of the Baltimore Orioles in MLB?   

Now you've got it.  ALL of these are correct Your first 3 answers fit #1, and your 3rd fit3 #3, and your 4th fits my expansion of #3. 

Of course, there are many more we need to add.

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »

Here's some more that fit your Question #4 I think:

Pirates - Pittsburgh NFL (forerunner of Steelers) and baseball

Rockies - NHL (early years in Denver) and baseball

Kings - KC/Sacramento NBA and LA NHL

Panthers - Charlotte NFL and Florida NHL

Jets - NY NFL and Winnipeg NHL

Oilers - Houston AFL/NFL and Edmonton NHL

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:00:43 AM »

Here's some more that fit your Question #4 I think:

Pirates - Pittsburgh NFL (forerunner of Steelers) and baseball

Rockies - NHL (early years in Denver) and baseball

Kings - KC/Sacramento NBA and LA NHL

Panthers - Charlotte NFL and Florida NHL

Jets - NY NFL and Winnipeg NHL

Oilers - Houston AFL/NFL and Edmonton NHL

Now you're cookin' with gas!  (old saying.  I'm old!)

JoeC

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 01:38:26 PM »

Mike already answered with the Yankees and Dodgers names covering two sports in the same city -- football and baseball. That's an answer to Question 1, right? Had to be in the 1930s and 40s, timewise.

Only other one I can add is for Question #3:

Lions -  BC (in the CFL) and Detroit (NFL)

I've got a feeling there are many answers that pre-date, say, 1950. Those are just not gonna come to me, beyond the ones I've listed already.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

Mike already answered with the Yankees and Dodgers names covering two sports in the same city -- football and baseball. That's an answer to Question 1, right? Had to be in the 1930s and 40s, timewise.

Only other one I can add is for Question #3:

Lions -  BC (in the CFL) and Detroit (NFL)

I've got a feeling there are many answers that pre-date, say, 1950. Those are just not gonna come to me, beyond the ones I've listed already.
Yes, probably all the rest involve at least one team existing only before 1950.

Offhand, what I can remember right now are:
New York Metropolitans National Association 1871-75, American Association 1883-1887 , NL 1962 (The Mets' official name was Metropolitans when they started, but, if I remember correctly, they dropped that, and it officially became just "Mets" in 1963 or 1964.

Milwaukee Brewers NL 1878, AA 1891, AL 1901, AL 1970-1997, NL 1998-Present

Pittsburgh Pirates NHL 1925-1933, NL 1892-Present, NFL 1933-1939

Hamilton(Ontario)Tigers NHL 1920-21-1924-25, Detroit Tigers AL

Victoria BC Cougars PCHL 1922-23-1925-26, Detroit Cougars NHL 1926-27-1929-30, Carolina Cougars ABA 1968-69-1973-74

Buffalo Bills All America Conference (pro football) 1945-1949, AFL 1960-1969, NFL 1970-Present

Buffalo Bisons NL 1879-1885 NBL 1937-38

I'll post more as I remember, thinking of each league in history and writing down the team names to compare them.

doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 01:19:23 AM »

Where is Alex Trebeck  wen we need him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: