DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 07:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89181 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  RIP Bob Plager
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Bob Plager  (Read 1327 times)
JoeC

« on: March 25, 2021, 10:17:16 AM »

RIP. Bob was involved in a two car crash on I-40 in St Louis yesterday. DOA at the hospital. 78 yrs old.

Came up through the NY Rangers junior clubs in Guelph; played a couple seasons for the NYR in MSG in the mid-60s.

An immediate star as a starting defenseman for the expansion St Louis Blues. In hindsight, a huge mistake by the Rangers to leave him unprotected in that expansion draft.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:39:28 AM »

RIP. Bob was involved in a two car crash on I-40 in St Louis yesterday. DOA at the hospital. 78 yrs old.  Came up through the NY Rangers junior clubs in Guelph; played a couple seasons for the NYR in MSG in the mid-60s. An immediate star as a starting defenseman for the expansion St Louis Blues. In hindsight, a huge mistake by the Rangers to leave him unprotected in that expansion draft.

If The Rangers had protected Bob Plager, they'd not have been able to keep Rod Seiling.  Furthermore, they "lost" both in The Expansion Draft.  They only retained Seiling because they made a pre-Expansion Draft agreement to trade Bob Plager, Gary Sabourin regular 20-goal scorer), Tim Ecclestone (solid 2-way winger), and Gordon Kannegieser (marginal AHL/NHL defenceman) to The Blues for Seiling just after The Draft (Seiling was The Blues' first choice in the non goaltender portion of the draft.  That "favour" The Blues did for The Rangers also led to The Rangers trading the budding star, Red Berenson and soon-to-be all star 2-way defenceman, Barclay Plager (Bob's older brother) to The Blues for the almost washed up, soon-to-retire, Ron Stewart, and Ron Attwell, the career minor leaguer (who never again got anywhere near sniffing the air of the hockey heights of The NHL, in a ridiculously lopsided trade).  Both of The Plager Brothers were all stars, but Barc, an excellent scorer, and offence-runner, as well as defender, was a significantly higher calibre player than his younger brother.  Their younger brother, Billy, also played in The NHL for awhile, mainly for The Blues, but also for The Minnesota North Stars.  

That was the only time 3 brothers played defence for the same NHL team, at the same time.  They even got onto the ice all at the same time, when Billy played one shift on the 4th forward line.  The Stastny Brothers, Peter, Anton, and Marian, played together on a line with The NHL's Quebec Nordiques during The 1970s.  

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:19:12 AM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »

Another Rangers-Blues deal that may have been related to The Blues' "favour" was The Rangers trading centre, Phil Goyette, before his skills were degraded (he could have played effectively for The Rangers for a few more years). He immediately finished 4th in NHL scoring for The Blues, with Berenson at 7th.  That was incredible that a recent Expansion team had 2 scorers in The NHL's Top 10, in the late 60s, when The League allowed their Original 6 teams to protect almost all their decent players, and those 6 teams owned virtually ALL hockey youth NHL prospects available in the Junior draft, which, in 1967-68, had effectively, only ONE single player who had an NHL career, and in its 2nd season, 1968-69, had only a handful of players who had significant NHL careers as long-time regulars.  Later expansions got much better choices of players to start off their teams - with The latest, Vegas Knights, being much too well stocked, giving them an advantage over the existing teams, at their start.

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

Interesting stuff, Robb.

I recall when the Rangers got Red Berenson from Montreal for Garry Peters and Ted Taylor, two players who were not missed. Then, 18 months later, Red is off to St Louis for Stewart and Atwell? That was GM Emile Francis for you in a nutshell.

What was it, six teams were stocked in 1967 by that expansion draft? Too many! All I recall was that Habs GM Sam Pollock basically wrote the rules used in the draft and somehow the Canadiens were able to protect Serge Savard, Jacques Lemaire, and Claude Larose as well as future trade assets Carol Vadnais and Danny Grant.

Also recall that young Bernie Parent turned out to be the "steal" of the draft, by the Flyers from Boston. Boston was really hit hard by losses.

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 10:57:05 PM »

Interesting stuff, Robb.

I recall when the Rangers got Red Berenson from Montreal for Garry Peters and Ted Taylor, two players who were not missed. Then, 18 months later, Red is off to St Louis for Stewart and Atwell? That was GM Emile Francis for you in a nutshell.

What was it, six teams were stocked in 1967 by that expansion draft? Too many! All I recall was that Habs GM Sam Pollock basically wrote the rules used in the draft and somehow the Canadiens were able to protect Serge Savard, Jacques Lemaire, and Claude Larose as well as future trade assets Carol Vadnais and Danny Grant.

Also recall that young Bernie Parent turned out to be the "steal" of the draft, by the Flyers from Boston. Boston was really hit hard by losses.
Vadnais and Grant were later traded off to Oakland and Minnesota for high 1st Round draft choices which helped The Habs continue their dynasty (LaFleur among others.  They also automatically got the top 2 French Canadians BEFORE  the regular draft.).  Now, they can't even compete for The Stanley Cup (NONE of the Canadian teams can), because The Canadian Dollar dropped from its high point of $1.09 per $US, when I was a kid, down to its current rate of $0.80 over the past 40 years.  They haven't won The Cup since 1974. 

bklynmike101

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 11:46:21 AM »

Throughout most of the 2010-2014 period, when one of my sons was attending UBC in Vancouver, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the USD. Naturally. Angry   
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »

Throughout most of the 2010-2014 period, when one of my sons was attending UBC in Vancouver, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the USD. Naturally. Angry   

I get around that problem by earning money in each of the 5 countries in which I dwell, and keep it there in local banks, and NEVER exchange currency (Netherlands/Germany-Euro, Denmark-Krone, Canada-$Can-$US).  Smiley

bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 06:04:16 PM »

I get around that problem by earning money in each of the 5 countries in which I dwell, and keep it there in local banks, and NEVER exchange currency (Netherlands/Germany-Euro, Denmark-Krone, Canada-$Can-$US).  Smiley

Very cool!
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 01:02:13 AM »

Very cool!
I forgot that I do have to exchange Danish Kronor for Swedish Kronor when I visit Sweden, where my brother lives, and I do some work, and I also visit friends.  Those 2 currencies are set to never vary more than 15 % from each other, but they're usually very, very close to each other, so, I often don't lose the difference between the buying and selling price by just swapping the currency with my friends who often come to Denmark from Sweden.  And I never need to "sell" any back.  I just keep it for my next trip.

bklynmike101

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »

My wife has a Swedish kronor wallet from her many visits there (extended family) since childhood - mostly more or less useless "ore" coins, but fun to have nonetheless. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 03:22:27 PM »

My wife has a Swedish kronor wallet from her many visits there (extended family) since childhood - mostly more or less useless "ore" coins, but fun to have nonetheless. 
In which part of Sweden does her family live?

bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 01:57:40 PM »

Her family - all key individuals are gone now although subsequent generations of course persist - were primarily located in and around Göteborg (Gothenberg). The family also maintained a "summer
 house" near a tiny village in Östergötland. My family typically visited every other year or so from the late 80's until about 2005 or so. Fond memories of days gone by. And rain  Cool   
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 09:40:12 PM »

RIP. Bob was involved in a two car crash on I-40 in St Louis yesterday. DOA at the hospital. 78 yrs old.
Came up through the NY Rangers junior clubs in Guelph; played a couple seasons for the NYR in MSG in the mid-60s.
An immediate star as a starting defenseman for the expansion St Louis Blues. In hindsight, a huge mistake by the Rangers to leave him unprotected in that expansion draft.
I met Bob and Barc (and later), every time The Blues came to Chicago, before their games.  Although I lived in Chicago, I was a big fan of The Blues, because they had my favourite goalie, Glenn Hall, and soon, our Winnipeg neighbours' and family friends' son, Ab McDonald (whose career I had followed since bantam) joined The Blues.  I used to talk to them before and after practice.  Bob and Barc were both tough as nails, but very friendly.  Bob was very funny, with a good sense of humour.  Unfortunately, he continued to smoke cigarettes long after his doctor told him to stop.  It seems that he had a heart attack, which killed him, and must have made him lose control of the car, and caused the crash.  He left us far too early.  But not as prematurely as Barc, who died from cancer a lot of years ago.  Bob's leaving us makes me think about the time I may or may not have left.  He was only a few years older than I am.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:44:50 PM by Robb_K » Logged

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 07:03:14 PM »

Her family - all key individuals are gone now although subsequent generations of course persist - were primarily located in and around Göteborg (Gothenberg). The family also maintained a "summer
 house" near a tiny village in Östergötland. My family typically visited every other year or so from the late 80's until about 2005 or so. Fond memories of days gone by. And rain  Cool   

I live about 3-4 months per year in Liller?d, Danmark, near Hiller?d, a little south of Helsing?r, where the ferryboat to G?teborg starts.  But, I go mainly to Malm?, because that's where The Disney office is, and where I work sometimes, and where most of my friends live (Sk?ne), also in nearby Lund.  But, my Swedish editor lives and works in Stockholm, and my brother lives there, as well.  So I visit both places regularly.  I also visit my business/work partner (and best friend)'s cousins farm near Lake Vanern, on the way from Malm? to Stockholm.

bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »

I live about 3-4 months per year in Liller?d, Danmark, near Hiller?d, a little south of Helsing?r, where the ferryboat to G?teborg starts.  But, I go mainly to Malm?, because that's where The Disney office is, and where I work sometimes, and where most of my friends live (Sk?ne), also in nearby Lund.  But, my Swedish editor lives and works in Stockholm, and my brother lives there, as well.  So I visit both places regularly.  I also visit my business/work partner (and best friend)'s cousins farm near Lake Vanern, on the way from Malm? to Stockholm.

An interesting itinerary to be sure. Our last visit was 2014, Stockholm and our old stomping grounds in the Östergötland area but no Göteborg. My wife's sister got her PHD from the University of Lund. And we've taken the ferry - on a train - between Helsingør and Helsingborg I believe, but they've since built a bridge. Don't know if we'll ever be back. Maybe. 
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »

An interesting itinerary to be sure. Our last visit was 2014, Stockholm and our old stomping grounds in the Östergötland area but no Göteborg. My wife's sister got her PHD from the University of Lund. And we've taken the ferry - on a train - between Helsingør and Helsingborg I believe, but they've since built a bridge. Don't know if we'll ever be back. Maybe. 

Yes. Now I always take the commuter S-train across the bridge from K?benhavn to Malm? or all the way to Lund.  I only pass through G?teborg on the way from Sk?ne to Norway, where I hold cartooning seminar/workshops.

doctordoowop

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 05:42:42 PM »

Plager took his copying Tim Horton a bit far. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: