DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 08:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89183 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Dr. Bobby Brown - RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Bobby Brown - RIP  (Read 892 times)
bklynmike101

« on: March 25, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »

Dr. Bobby Brown, former Yankee infielder, A. L. President, and cardiologist, died earlier today in Texas at age 96.  He must have been one unusually gifted individual! RIP.
JoeC

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 03:48:21 PM »

Pre-Med at Stanford; M.D. from Tulane.

Like so many Yankees, he always seemed to hit 100 points higher (or more) in the World Series. Something about those pinstripes.
bklynmike101

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »

Looking up his stats across the 7 seasons in which he played for the Yankees, I came across the interesting realization that his batting average declined from each and every season to the next (plus or minus 1-2 points in an instance or so). That's hard to do!

Full disclosure: That 'stat' includes his rookie season in which his B. Avg. of .333 in but 24 AB's is not particularly meaningful. But still...............     
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:42:58 AM »

Remember Yogi  sitting next to  Brown on a flight.  Yogi finishing his comic book " Mine had a good ending -Superman got the bad guys."      "How did yours turn out?"   Brown was  studying Gray's  Anatomy.!               
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »

I remember hearing about that exchange, whether or not it actually happened. Classic Yogi.
doctordoowop

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 01:16:53 AM »

It doesn't matter but not sure which comic book Yogi was reading, and Brown was  reading some med text. Agree mike --I think most Berra quotes were made.up later. His 1st trip to play Angels in LA=---"It gets late early out here"  Classic. Whoever made it up.
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »

Another RIP from a player I liked as a kid - soft red 1960 Topps bottom - Joe Cunningham, he who hit .345 in '59 chasing Aaron. Lifetime .290 hitter but no power which is not ideal for a mostly 1B-OF type. Cardinals, White Sox, Senators. Quite accomplished off the field as well in his post-playing days. 89 years old.
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »

Another RIP from a player I liked as a kid - soft red 1960 Topps bottom - Joe Cunningham, he who hit .345 in '59 chasing Aaron. Lifetime .290 hitter but no power which is not ideal for a mostly 1B-OF type. Cardinals, White Sox, Senators. Quite accomplished off the field as well in his post-playing days. 89 years old.
All he lacked was power. Was pretty well blocked at 1B for the Cards by Musial. He could play the OF well enough but ... 1B was his position.

Trivia question: Anyone know who Joe Cunningham was traded to the White Sox by the Cardinals for in 1961?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »

All he lacked was power. Was pretty well blocked at 1B for the Cards by Musial. He could play the OF well enough but ... 1B was his position.

Trivia question: Anyone know who Joe Cunningham was traded to the White Sox by the Cardinals for in 1961?

Being a big White Sox fan, I remember that one really well.  It was Minnie Minoso, even up.  Minnie was just about through at the time.  But it still hurt to see him go, just like when he was traded away to The Indians.  But, The Sox needed hitting, and Cunningham was a great hitter, and still in his prime, and Minnie was a just a pinch hitter and spot player; so, it wasn't as hard to take as when he left in 1958. 

JoeC

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 05:28:59 PM »

Being a big White Sox fan, I remember that one really well.  It was Minnie Minoso, even up.  Minnie was just about through at the time.  But it still hurt to see him go, just like when he was traded away to The Indians.  But, The Sox needed hitting, and Cunningham was a great hitter, and still in his prime, and Minnie was a just a pinch hitter and spot player; so, it wasn't as hard to take as when he left in 1958. 
Correct, Robb. And Joe produced as expected in 1962. Hit a fine .295 but with only 8 HRs and 70 RBI in 149 games.
doctordoowop

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 10:10:42 PM »

Sorry-I mixed up Yogis quote-"It gets late early out here." He was on the phone with wife in NJ-- It was about  midnite in NJ but only  (PM in LA.   An aside to Yogi-time zones began with the advent of long train rides.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: