DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 08:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89183 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  St. Louis Cardinals - Longstanding Players
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: St. Louis Cardinals - Longstanding Players  (Read 1827 times)
bklynmike101

« on: April 15, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »

I've always thought that top players "should" spend their entire careers with one team. To me, that makes their baseball cards look "clean" and impressive. This somewhat irrational thought stems from my reading the cars of the likes of Musial, Williams, Mantle, Ford, and (later "spoiled") Berra, Mays, etc.

Thinking about how rare this has become in the era of free agency (bad for fans, "correct" in terms of economics), I thought about today's SL Cardinals who currently employ 3 such players:

Adam Wainwright, now in his age 40 season, in his 17th season with SL
Yadier Molina, now in his age 39 season, in his 18th season with SL
Matt Carpenter, now in his age 36 season, in his 11th season with SL

Remarkable. I wonder what accounts for this. The water in SL, maybe?  Grin       
doctordoowop

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:04:44 PM »

I always hated it when a guy was traded after his card  came out.

2 possibilities mike- Air travel  ---KC & Cards have it  easiest.  No crazy  6-7  hr flights.   But the number one reason is the StL fans. Baseball is revered there and  retired players are still  very  popular.   For example-even tho  hes moved on to FOX  football & baseball,Joe Buck still lives in StL.

Also no NBA there and only expansion Blues in hockey and no  longer any NFL  team.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 12:42:14 AM »

I always hated it when a guy was traded after his card  came out.

2 possibilities mike- Air travel  ---KC & Cards have it  easiest.  No crazy  6-7  hr flights.   But the number one reason is the StL fans. Baseball is revered there and  retired players are still  very  popular.   For example-even tho  hes moved on to FOX  football & baseball,Joe Buck still lives in StL.

Also no NBA there and only expansion Blues in hockey and no  longer any NFL  team.
The Blues expansion was 55 years ago.  When they finish this season they'll have been in St. Louis longer than The American League Athletics were in Philadelphia.  Many of the people who were hockey fans before the 1967 expansion are dead now.  I think we can consider them an established franchise, with a solid fan base in Missouri and surrounding states.

The St. Louis Metro Area has a reputation for being a "quiet-family-oriented, friendly, decent place to live, where celebrities can have their own private lives, live under less pressure, save more money (if their income is more tied to their industry than the area's cost of living.  It's a great place to raise kids (as opposed to California and the racy East Coast, or even big city Chicago or Detroit.   I know a lot about The Blues because of talking to our neighbour, Ab McDonald, and I used to talk a lot to other Blues who came to Chicago Stadium to scout The Hawks, and watch their own team from the stands, and I talked to them during practises. The consensus was that The Blues were well loved in the community, were very loyal and good to their current and former players.  They have one of the top 3 rates of ex players staying in their team's metro area after retirement, and ex-players working with their organisation.  The Baseball Cardinals always had that reputation (since Branch Rickey), and The Football Cardinals were good in that regard as well.  Ab liked living there very much, although he eventually returned to Manitoba.  St. Louis Metro is a "sleeper", under the radar, when it comes to choices of places to reside.  Downtown St. Louis and East St. Louis' bad crime and murder rates cloud that issue.  But, if you live in Suburban St. Louis County, and the surrounding outer suburban counties, you never experience the bad effects of that.  To me, Chicago was horrible in summer.  And they often get cooled there by the breeze from Lake Michigan.  Whereas, St. Louis gets no relief.  I wouldn't want to live somewhere where you need to stay in air conditioning every second for months on end.  But sports stars who have strong moral and family values, and want to be out of the hectic ratrace, and still be highly respected and well-liked by fans, St. Louis is a good place.

bklynmike101

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »

Doctor and Robb,

Enjoyed your perspectives. I've spent some time in many if not most US major cities, mostly work-related, but have yet to set foot in Missouri.  Something in the water (SL) maybe.......
JoeC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »

Doctor and Robb,

Enjoyed your perspectives. I've spent some time in many if not most US major cities, mostly work-related, but have yet to set foot in Missouri.  Something in the water (SL) maybe.......
Mike,
Sounds like we had similar jobs, taking us around the country/world. In my case, I've been to 44 of the 50 states. A large number, only one visit; others, so many I felt like a resident. The 6 states I've never set foot in are: Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska and Hawaii.

In Missouri, I've been to KC and St Louis a number of times. Of the two cities, I preferred Kansas City. Both airports (at least the 1980s versions, when I was last in  them) left me with a memory. In StL, a full-scale replica of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St Louis" airplane hung from the ceiling. The KC Airport in the 80s had parquet flooring. Classy looking and reminded me of the basketball floor at the old Boston Garden (which I never saw, except on TV).

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 07:00:21 PM »

Doctor and Robb,

Enjoyed your perspectives. I've spent some time in many if not most US major cities, mostly work-related, but have yet to set foot in Missouri.  Something in the water (SL) maybe.......
Mike,
Sounds like we had similar jobs, taking us around the country/world. In my case, I've been to 44 of the 50 states. A large number, only one visit; others, so many I felt like a resident. The 6 states I've never set foot in are: Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska and Hawaii.

In Missouri, I've been to KC and St Louis a number of times. Of the two cities, I preferred Kansas City. Both airports (at least the 1980s versions, when I was last in  them) left me with a memory. In StL, a full-scale replica of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St Louis" airplane hung from the ceiling. The KC Airport in the 80s had parquet flooring. Classy looking and reminded me of the basketball floor at the old Boston Garden (which I never saw, except on TV).

I've never been to Hawaii, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi, or Puerto Rico, or The US Virgin Islands (although I'd liked to have visited a former Danish colony.  In Canada, I've never been to The District of MacKenzie (now The (truncated) Northwest Territories, and never been to Sable Island, but been to The Yukon, Nunavut, and all 10 provinces.  I've been to over 75 countries around The World (and worked in a lot of them, and lived long periods in several).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:59:02 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 12:29:58 AM »

Joe-in KC' s Union Train Station   the remnants of the gunfight that  was the main impetus for the starting of the FBI-plus Lindbergh baby kidnapping--  is preserved.They even point out the parts of the walls with  bullet holes--related to the  gang  shoot out with Pretty Boy Floyd and others.

KC also  has the Negro baseball   leagiue museum.
bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »

Doctor and Robb,

Mike,

In Missouri, I've been to KC and St Louis a number of times. Of the two cities, I preferred Kansas City. Both airports (at least the 1980s versions, when I was last in  them) left me with a memory. In StL, a full-scale replica of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St Louis" airplane hung from the ceiling. The KC Airport in the 80s had parquet flooring. Classy looking and reminded me of the basketball floor at the old Boston Garden (which I never saw, except on TV).

I've never been to Hawaii, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi, or Puerto Rico, or The US Virgin Islands (although I'd liked to have visited a former Danish colony.  In Canada, I've never been to The District of MacKenzie (now The (truncated) Northwest Territories, and never been to Sable Island.  I've been to over 70 countries around The World.

I've set foot in app. 25+ countries (most via vacation) and 40 states (most via work). I'm missing Montana, N. Dakota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, West Virginia, Mississippi, and Arkansas. As a management consultant for about 20 years, I too have had some very brief stops/visits as well as many extended engagements, almost all of which involved weekly commutes.  Lots of airports. Up in Canada (vacation only) I've managed to set foot in 6 provinces - B.C. Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, PEI, and Nova Scotia.
doctordoowop

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »

Somewhat off topic but about Lindbergh Joe--Lindbergh was  pro Hitler who strongly believed in eugenics  --his baby had some health problems-& I am convince d  after reading some books,doing some some research and with my forensic training, that Lindbergh actually killed his own kid &  the e kidnapping was a hoax.

I  truly believe that  Hauptmann didnt do it-& I'm not a conspiracy but.But  poke around the internet a bit.

The police were so  intimidated by him that he ran the investigation.
JoeC

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 07:11:17 PM »

Doc,

I really know nothing about the Lindbergh kidnapping other than what was in the most well-known accounts.

I know a bit more about Lindbergh's pro-German sentiments leading up to the onset of WWII. There was in fact, just recently, a TV series based on Phillip Roth's novel "The Plot Against America."  

Roth's book is an "alternate American history told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in Newark, New Jersey, as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism." In the book/TV seroes, Lindbergh defeats Roosevelyt in the 1940 election and ... history is altered. 

Not the greatest TV show I've ever seen but ... I found it worth watching. Produced by David Simon, who did "The Wire."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:13:37 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 07:18:49 PM »

Doctor and Robb,

Enjoyed your perspectives. I've spent some time in many if not most US major cities, mostly work-related, but have yet to set foot in Missouri.  Something in the water (SL) maybe.......
Mike,

In Missouri, I've been to KC and St Louis a number of times. Of the two cities, I preferred Kansas City. Both airports (at least the 1980s versions, when I was last in  them) left me with a memory. In StL, a full-scale replica of Lindbergh's "Spirit of St Louis" airplane hung from the ceiling. The KC Airport in the 80s had parquet flooring. Classy looking and reminded me of the basketball floor at the old Boston Garden (which I never saw, except on TV).

I've never been to Hawaii, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi, or Puerto Rico, or The US Virgin Islands (although I'd liked to have visited a former Danish colony.  In Canada, I've never been to The District of MacKenzie (now The (truncated) Northwest Territories, and never been to Sable Island.  I've been to over 70 countries around The World.

I've set foot in app. 25+ countries (most via vacation) and 40 states (most via work). I'm missing Montana, N. Dakota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, West Virginia, Mississippi, and Arkansas. As a management consultant for about 20 years, I too have had some very brief stops/visits as well as many extended engagements, almost all of which involved weekly commutes.  Lots of airports. Up in Canada (vacation only) I've managed to set foot in 6 provinces - B.C. Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, PEI, and Nova Scotia.

So......... Manitoba is lumped in together with Saskatchewan as a hickey, "Fly Over" province, except for Minnesotans, Dakotans, Peninsular Michiganders, and Wisconsoners (did I coin a new word, here?) who come up to fish for sturgeon and see the polar bears, eh?  And we always considered ourselves as cultured and cosmopolitan compared with The Saskatchewan farm boys, and Thunder Bay loggers!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:10:33 AM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »

Robb,

Deepest apologies for my catastrophic neglect of Manitoba/Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. I once had a dry cleaner who claimed to have grown up next to Gordie Howe. Does that rate me some notion of exoneration?  Grin 
doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 12:11:01 AM »

Joe--I knew nothing about it until my research & reading. It was 90 yrs ago--& very few now care or know about it. U know he took off from Roosevelt Field in Nassau County--now a shopping center-Roosevelt raceway was there.Not sure of town --Westbury? I think.
bklynmike101

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:57:07 AM »

Technically it's in Ga
bklynmike101

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »

Technically it's in Garden City, although it's sometimes considered Westbury. I spent many evenings at Sbarro and wandering around while on a nearby assignment for over a year circa '97-'98.
doctordoowop

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »

Thanx  mike-it is  GS.  And where did Mitchel  field go?
bklynmike101

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 03:07:06 PM »

DDW,

Everything that was "is" then is now no more.  That's not necessarily bad nor good. It's just the way things go. It's been 15 years since I last set foot within the friendly (?) confines of NYC; 20 since I last stepped inside Manhattan. I'm split between badly wanting to see it these days and thinking I'd not recognize much of it. Perhaps the train has left the station.     
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 10:10:41 PM »

DDW,

Everything that was "is" then is now no more.  That's not necessarily bad nor good. It's just the way things go. It's been 15 years since I last set foot within the friendly (?) confines of NYC; 20 since I last stepped inside Manhattan. I'm split between badly wanting to see it these days and thinking I'd not recognize much of it. Perhaps the train has left the station. 
I've been inside the boundaries of New York City probably over 100 times, but been there, outside an airport, only once, in 1969.  I have no wish to go there, nor any place new to me, other than to visit pen friends I've had for 10-30 years, who I have not yet visited (I have visited most of my long-time pen friends).  ALL of those I have visited have been even more of a pleasant surprise than I had expected, and we hit it off well.  And they are good friends (one level up from being "pen friends)".

doctordoowop

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »

mike-Mitchel field became Eisenhower Park--& Nassau Coliseum built on it as well as parts of Hofstra and Nassau Community College. Republic & Grumman had small airfields in Farmingdale/Bethpage I believe for their planes.  Grumman now hooked up with Northrup& is in Long Beach CA I think.
bklynmike101

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »

I've been to Eisenhower Park a few times. Recall having great fun renting tandem bicycles there - fun gal and guy combo's with my Rockaway friends. Had a close engineer relative who worked for Grumman on LI for decades. And of course I've seen a few games at Nassau Coliseum. Later worked a consulting gig just a stone's throw away - circa '97-98.
doctordoowop

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 02:37:22 AM »

Thats whereI 1st saw the doctor play.  Larry Kenon,Billy Paultz, Brian Tayor  and  frget other guard.I'll  have to look it up.
bklynmike101

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »

Sitting in a 1st class red-eye from JFK to LAX (both rarities for me) I was a few seats in front of Dr. J one time. I, and the few other passengers in the fairly empty section left him to himself as he gave no indication of preferring to chat. I think he was doing some broadcasting/TV work in those days.
doctordoowop

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »

I was on TWO  different flights with Strawberry.   Great examples of his cheapness.  In December-obviously off season-- he sat at back of plane with wife & kids. On a flight NYC to LA during season  he was in 1st class [Mets paid] and made his brother sit in coach.
bklynmike101

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »

I always "loved it" when flying coach with a "boss" who was sitting up front.  Tongue
doctordoowop

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »

John Willamson  was other Net guard. 

it took 50 +yrs but airlines charge extra for exit row. Yrs ago my pop wore jacket/tie wen he flew--now same as wen I took Trailways or Greyhound. Bum attire.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: