DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 07:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89181 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  1962 Mets Home Opener
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1962 Mets Home Opener  (Read 1019 times)
JoeC

« on: May 17, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »

Can you fill in the names from these clues? Game played Apr 13, 1962 vs Pittsburgh.

CF - Spent previous two seasons with Cubs; playing his last MLB season, hit .306 for Mets

SS- Puerto Rico native, originally signed by Milwaukee in '56

2B - Hit 2 HRs in game vs Bob Shaw in '59 WS

LF - Native of Pittsburgh; hit 34 HRs for this awful Mets squad

RF- Part of only grandfather/grandson combo to hit for the cycle in MLB history

1B - Later managed the Chicago Cubs (1974) and A's ('79); led the PCL in HR in '54; journeyman 1B/OF/PH

3B- Utility player; suffered two horrific beanings (one in the majors in '56) -- both nearly killed him; coached and managed many teams

C- Caught one of Virgil Trucks' 1952 no-hitters; well-traveled

SP - RHP, nicknamed "Roadblock"; pitched for Reds vs NYY in '61 WS

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:22:06 PM »

Can you fill in the names from these clues? Game played Apr 13, 1962 vs Pittsburgh.

CF - Spent previous two seasons with Cubs; playing his last MLB season, hit .306 for Mets

SS- Puerto Rico native, originally signed by Milwaukee in '56

2B - Hit 2 HRs in game vs Bob Shaw in '59 WS

LF - Native of Pittsburgh; hit 34 HRs for this awful Mets squad

RF- Part of only grandfather/grandson combo to hit for the cycle in MLB history

1B - Later managed the Chicago Cubs (1974) and A's ('79); led the PCL in HR in '54; journeyman 1B/OF/PH

3B- Utility player; suffered two horrific beanings (one in the majors in '56) -- both nearly killed him; coached and managed many teams

C- Caught one of Virgil Trucks' 1952 no-hitters; well-traveled

SP - RHP, nicknamed "Roadblock"; pitched for Reds vs NYY in '61 WS 

Easy enough to remember by position, but with clues, I shouldn't miss any of them.

CF Richie Ashburn

SS Felix Mantilla

2B Charlie Neal

LF Frank Thomas

RF Gus Bell

1B Gil Hodges

3B Rod Kanehl?

C Must be Joe Ginsberg - he was the only catcher on the team to have played in 1952, and he played for Detroit then.  I needed the clue, as I'd have guessed Chris Cannizaro or Choo Choo Coleman.

SP Jay Hook

doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:36:57 PM »

3B was  Don Zimmer
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:39:53 PM »

Robb-no Choo Choo yet- Hobie Landreth

Who were Caseys coaches?
Red Ruffing  &  1b & 3b  ?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 03:09:25 AM »

Robb-no Choo Choo yet- Hobie Landreth

Who were Caseys coaches?
Red Ruffing  &  1b & 3b  ?

Red Ruffing was still alive in 1962?Huh  Wow!  I don't remember The Mets' coaches.  I only remember coaches from my favourite teams, or the ones that were on Baseball cards (early 1950s).

JoeC

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 07:00:12 AM »

Robb, got them all except 3B, 1B and Starting Pitcher. I knew that 1B and SP would be the hardest answer. To be honest, I don't remember the 1B and there is little to use as a clue for him.

Doc, You are correct about Zimmer at 3B.

New clues for the two remaining players. Still tough!

1B- Played for Orioles in 58, Cubs 58-59, Giants 60-61, Mets and Pirates in 62. First name Jim.

SP - Spent three years in the majors 1960-62. Giants in 1960. Reds in 61, and Mets in 62. Career record of 2-6. First name Sherman.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:35:35 AM by JoeC » Logged
bklynmike101

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »

1B - Jim Marshall
P- Sherman "Roadblock" Jones
C- Confirmed - Joe Ginsberg

Too bad west coast is behind - this quiz up my alley. I was there. Original '62 Mets fan - converted under intense pressure by my friends during spring training '62.

Wasn't Rogers Hornsby a '62 Mets coach?

"My beer is Rheingold the dry beer" - Kiner/Nelson/Murphy. Kiner's Korner
JoeC

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 11:22:47 AM »

1B - Jim Marshall
P- Sherman "Roadblock" Jones
C- Confirmed - Joe Ginsberg

Too bad west coast is behind - this quiz up my alley. I was there. Original '62 Mets fan - converted under intense pressure by my friends during spring training '62.

Wasn't Rogers Hornsby a '62 Mets coach?

"My beer is Rheingold the dry beer" - Kiner/Nelson/Murphy. Kiner's Korner
Sorry about that, Mike. Jim Marshall?? I don't even recall him as a 70s era manager no less an obscure Mets 1B. Good get!

I did recall the SP, Jones. And I was surprised at his meager "lifetime" record. Somehow I recall him as a pretty effective pitcher.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:29:16 AM by JoeC » Logged
JoeC

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »

That was the lineup for the "home opener." The Mets had already played one game, against St Louis, two days before.

In that first game, the lineup was the same except for the following. Can you name the players who manned these positions in the very first Mets game ever.

1B -

C -  

SP -

Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »

That was the lineup for the "home opener." The Mets had already played one game, against St Louis, two days before.

In that first game, the lineup was the same except for the following. Can you name the players who manned these positions in the very first Mets game ever.

1B -

C -  

SP -

1B - Gil Hodges?

C -  Hobie Landrith?

SP - Roger Craig?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 12:22:35 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »

All correct, Robb.

Gil Hodges really had been "done" from 1959 on. Hung on for 4 more partial seasons (two with LA, two with the Mets). I hadn't realized how far back Gil went in the game. He came up with Brooklyn in WWII, in 1943. 19 yrs old.

Craig went 10-24 in 1962 as the Mets "ace." Had a 4.51 ERA (not bad, considering).

I don't remember Landrith ever being a team's top catcher. Was the Mets top choice in the Draft that stocked the expansion teams. Cards stole three bases off Hobie in the first game which caused Stengel to go with Joe Ginsburg and then Chris Cannizaro. Sounds a bit unfair to me as the bases were swiped by Curt Flood (2) and Julian Javier (1).  
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »

All correct, Robb.

Gil Hodges really had been "done" from 1959 on. Hung on for 4 more partial seasons (two with LA, two with the Mets). I hadn't realized how far back Gil went in the game. He came up with Brooklyn in WWII, in 1943. 19 yrs old.

Craig went 10-24 in 1962 as the Mets "ace." Had a 4.51 ERA (not bad, considering).

I don't remember Landrith ever being a team's top catcher. Was the Mets top choice in the Draft that stocked the expansion teams. Cards stole three bases off Hobie in the first game which caused Stengel to go with Joe Ginsburg and then Chris Cannizaro. Sounds a bit unfair to me as the bases were swiped by Curt Flood (2) and Julian Javier (1).  

We'd have to view film on those stealing plays to see if a more aware, quicker reacting, and better armed catcher COULD have thrown them out.

I don't remember Landrith ever catching a full season's worth of games (say 110 games or more) during his long career as a major league back-up catcher.  So, maybe his slow reactions to base stealing, and/or lack of ability to hold runners were justifiable reasons for benching him.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 03:55:52 PM by Robb_K » Logged

doctordoowop

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 01:25:59 AM »

I was  at the  sold out Memorial Day double header in 1962 against the Dodgers. Maybe Koufax/Drysdale pitched.
bklynmike101

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 11:57:16 AM »

Landrith couldn't hit either. And in those days, many/most starting C's and even some backups could.

Those expansion drafts for '61/'62 were FAR different than more recent ones in all sports. Existing teams were allowed to "protect" far more of their players back then from being eligible for the draft. As a consequence, "pickings" were fairly slim. Thus, Landrith, a mediocre player at best, albeit established as a big leaguer and not an ageing has-been, was a 1st rounder. My Mets went all out for name players, largely over the hill, while Colt 45's went for younger, lesser knowns. The comparative results were predictable, although a s young but old at heat fan I certainly liked the "names" selected by the Mets - many ex-Dodgers/Giants/Yankees for an obvious reason. Not to mention managers like Casey, Yogi, Gil in the first decade of play.   
doctordoowop

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 02:14:09 AM »

I had to look up the coaches. I was right with Ruffing. 1B was Hemus, 3B was Lavagetto.  Bullpen was Pignatano & Red Kress  was called a general coach.

Cosell & "big number 13"- Branca-did the postgame radio show.Think Marv Albert started in 1963.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 02:59:41 AM »

I had to look up the coaches. I was right with Ruffing. 1B was Hemus, 3B was Lavagetto.  Bullpen was Pignatano & Red Kress  was called a general coach.

Cosell & "big number 13"- Branca-did the postgame radio show.Think Marv Albert started in 1963.
All those coaches were REALLY old, except for Pignatano(who actually caught several games for The Mets that year.  So, apparently, he was signed as a player-coach.

bklynmike101

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »

Their manager was no spring chicken himself.  Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: