DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 08:30:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89183 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  Curse of The Strikeout
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Curse of The Strikeout  (Read 349 times)
JoeC

« on: May 19, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »

Some interesting info from ESPN writer Tim Kurkjian:

" In Game 7 of the 1960 World Series in which the Pirates beat the Yankees 10-9, there were no strikeouts. But in Game 1 of the Reds-Braves wild-card series last year, a game that went 13 innings, there were a combined 37 strikeouts."

Quote from Dusty Baker:

"I watched a game the other night, the first three innings, the ball wasn't put in play by either team. Everyone struck out. I've never seen that."

Pretty much tells the story. Talk is to move the pitcher's mound back a foot. Would that really help?
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 06:23:11 PM »

Some interesting info from ESPN writer Tim Kurkjian:

" In Game 7 of the 1960 World Series in which the Pirates beat the Yankees 10-9, there were no strikeouts. But in Game 1 of the Reds-Braves wild-card series last year, a game that went 13 innings, there were a combined 37 strikeouts."

Quote from Dusty Baker:

"I watched a game the other night, the first three innings, the ball wasn't put in play by either team. Everyone struck out. I've never seen that."

Pretty much tells the story. Talk is to move the pitcher's mound back a foot. Would that really help?

Lower the mound to almost flat.  Move the pitcher's mound back a couple feet.  Not only make the strike zone smaller in the rule book, but make sure to enforce that the umpires abide by the rules accurately, always choosing to give the benefit of the doubt to the batter.   Find a way to reward batters that hit for average and have good on-base pct. and hit a lot of doubles and triples and discourage swinging for the fences and striking out a lot.  Pay players based on runs scored, RBIs, on-base %, players placed in scoring position, and so on.  Develop better hitting instruction towards having good level swings and making contact.  Move the walls farther back.  Corden off large areas of the current foul ball territory with added fan seating area.  The foul areas are much too fat.  And change the well over 100 year rule of needing 4 balls for a walk.  Change it to only needing 3 for a base on balls.  I know it's drastic, but strikeouts have ruined the game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:38:37 PM by Robb_K » Logged

JoeC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »

More from Kurkjian's article:

"Today's hitters have beautiful swings, but they have only one swing. If a pitcher throws it in his bat path, the hitter doesn't just hit a line-drive single to left field. He hits it 20 rows up. But if the pitcher identifies and avoids that one bat path, he doesn't just get him out, he strikes him out.

"I hate striking out," Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn used to say. "I'd rather hit a one-hopper to the pitcher."

Gwynn never struck out more than 40 times in a season. The Rangers' Joey Gallo and the Reds' Eugenio Suarez struck out 40 times in April.

Babe Ruth never struck out 100 times in a season. Hall of Famer Lou Brock sat out the final day of the 1970 season because he had 99 strikeouts and didn't want to strike out 100 times. Frank Robinson said the worst season of his career was 1965 because, even though he hit 33 homers with 113 RBIs, it was the only season that he struck out 100 times. And yet, the Orioles' Chris Davis, in 2014, set a record for the fewest games needed -- 64 -- to get to 100 strikeouts."
doctordoowop

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:59:33 AM »

The balls are juiced--and pitchers  average about 6-6 230. The balls this  year  have higher seams--great for pitichers. Finally pitchers areallowed to put all kinds of stuff on their fingers. Cole best example.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: