DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2021, 07:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION:
NO COMMERCIAL SITES OR LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL,
ie, CLOTHES, RECORDS, FURNTURE, ETC. DON'T DO IT HERE. THE URL WILL BE DELETED...  Mike Paladino
89181 Posts in 9677 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: doctordoowop
* Home Help Login Register
+  DOO-WOP/OLDIES FORUM - Welcome
|-+  OT - OFF TOPIC TOPICS :-)
| |-+  Off Topic Stuff
| | |-+  White Sox - 1954
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: White Sox - 1954  (Read 491 times)
JoeC

« on: June 17, 2021, 07:15:51 PM »

We just did the Orioles initial home opener lineup. Their opponent that day in 1954 was the White Sox. For anyone wanting to give it a shot.

SS - Venezuelan

2B - Originally signed by Connie Mack and the A's

LF - First Black player signed by White Sox

3B - First Black Cuban player in MLB and first to play for ChiSox

1B - SF Seals paid him "under the table" due to his being a HS Senior while playing in the PCL; later, 2x AL batting champ

C - Got WS ring (1947) as third string catcher

RF - Served 5 years in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary

CF - As a Tigers rookie in 1946 (age 20) was called the "next DiMaggio"; played 15 MLB season - .279 career hitter

P - Threw 4 no-hitters in minors; went 5-19 in 1952; joined Sox in '53; one WS ring (1945)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:52:54 PM by JoeC » Logged
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 11:05:22 PM »

We just did the Orioles initial home opener lineup. Their opponent that day in 1954 was the White Sox. For anyone wanting to give it a shot.

SS - Venezuelan

2B - Originally signed by Connie Mack and the A's

LF - First Black player signed by White Sox

3B - First Black Cuban player in MLB and first to play for ChiSox

1B - SF Seals paid him "under the table" due to his being a HS Senior while playing in the PCL; later, 2x AL batting champ

C - Got WS ring (1947) as third string catcher

RF - Served 5 years in the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary

CF - As a Tigers rookie in 1946 (age 20) was called the "next DiMaggio"; played 15 MLB season - .279 career hitter

P - Threw 4 no-hitters in minors; went 5-19 in 1952; joined Sox in '53; one WS ring (1945)     

SS Chico Carrasquel

2B Nellie Fox

LF I thought Minoso was also he 1st Black player signed by The Sox.  He started in '51.  The only other Black player I can remember on the '54 team would have to be Bob Boyd.  I guess he could have been signed in '50 or earlier in '51 than Minoso.  He did play mostly in the Minors during '51-54.  He only played much at all for The Sox in '53.  I'll guess Bob Boyd here because I can't think of anyone else it could be.

3B The 1st Black Cuban in MLB and 1st Black player to play on The White Sox was Minnie Minoso.  So, he CAN'T be the LF.

1B Ferris Fain

C Sherm Lollar

RF Jim Rivera

CF Johnnie Groth

P Virgil Trucks

doctordoowop

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 01:50:03 AM »

not lookingat answers

carrasquel

alsmith\calos paula
prison rivera
pierce

JoeC

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 07:59:29 AM »

not lookingat answers

carrasquel

alsmith\calos paula
prison rivera
pierce
Carrasquel and Rivera are right!

I recall Jim Rivera's "rape" story making the cover of that scandal mag "Confidential." If I recall correctly, sort of a convoluted back story to the incident; happened in the military toward the end of WWII.
bklynmike101

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AM »

Got Carrasquel and Jungle Jim Rivera right off the bat, then looked.
JoeC

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 05:05:44 PM »

Mike, Relative to me, you're a youngster. If this question were moved back to the late 40s period, I doubt I could get two answers correct.

I never understood the attraction of Jim Rivera. As I've said several times before, the White Sox from 1954-60, were the team I rooted for (due to Nellie Fox being my favorite player). Rivera was basically a .250 hitter with not much power. I went to a lot of Chi-NY games at Yankee Stadium in those years and Jim was always a big disappointment at the plate. Fox, Minoso and Lollar were about the only bats you could count on against Ford, Reynolds, Lopat, etc.
Robb_K

Hopeless Nostalgist

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »

Mike, Relative to me, you're a youngster. If this question were moved back to the late 40s period, I doubt I could get two answers correct.

I never understood the attraction of Jim Rivera. As I've said several times before, the White Sox from 1954-60, were the team I rooted for (due to Nellie Fox being my favorite player). Rivera was basically a .250 hitter with not much power. I went to a lot of Chi-NY games at Yankee Stadium in those years and Jim was always a big disappointment at the plate. Fox, Minoso and Lollar were about the only bats you could count on against Ford, Reynolds, Lopat, etc.

Rivera was a very fast runner, a great fielder, and had a decent arm.  He was lousy at hitting except during his infrequent hot streaks.  But, The Sox had a big stadium, which was a pitchers' park.  Because of that, they always leaned a lot more on pitching, fielding, and speed for John McGraw's" smallball", than on pure hitting and power.  When they tried power in the late '40s and early '50s with the likes of Rudy York, Pat Seerey, Eddie Robinson, Guz Zernial, and Don Lenhardt, they were near the bottom of The AL. They started their rise to perennial 2nd and 3rd Place finishes (dueling with The Indians for runner-up behind The Yankees).  It was mostly the pitching improving, with Billy Pierce and Joe Dobson coming on, getting Saul Rogovin in a trade, and their getting much better fielding from Fox, Carrasquel, Rivera, Minoso, and Sam Mele, and a better catcher, in Sherm Lollar, who worked well with the pitchers.  The added power of Minoso and Lollar was a bonus.  But what really turned them around was a team based on pitching and defence, and manufacturing runs like teams did in The Dead Ball Era, - matching the strengths of their ballpark, rather than trying to fight against it, when it was easier to shut down high-scoring teams in their massive park, than to outhit the high-scoring teams with much better, and more powerful hitters.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:01:19 PM by Robb_K » Logged

bklynmike101

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »

Guilty as charged. Approaching the big 7-0. Unbelievable. First baseball year -'59 - Yankees - Yankees-Yankees in a rare off year (3rd place - unthinkable!) - then Dodgers-Chisox WS on B&W TV. Larry Sherry - Klu - Wynn - Chuck Essegian (great series for him) et al. 
bklynmike101

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »

The '59 Go-Go Sox were the first time during my time to rely on Pitching and defense. And it worked that year. Manager Al Lopez always seemed to guide his teams (Indians/White Sox) to the top of the heap, - Yankees excluded. Of course  there was '54 and '59. I'd bet Casey and Al had a lot of mutual respect. And stories......
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: